Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Family Controller Fund

ItsMeBobO

For the last two years the LOR forum members chipped in and awarded a free controller or lights or accessories to a few lucky newbie families.  

Lets continue this gift for another year and help make some memories for a newbie family.  This is only for first year animated show newbie families with kids to get them started please.  

Newbie families please feel free to apply for the scholarship by making a post here of why you need a NEW controller or lights from LOR!  
A Funny story is good and sappy is even better!   Pictures of your kids are encouraged. 

The application period will end around the time of the summer sale 2013.  Date will be announced later.   Advance apologies to those who come upon this late and miss it.  The plan is to award the controller in time to plan and prepare a show. Determining who is awarded the scholarship(s) will be up to the admin (Bob-O) and the donors but we will listen to advice.  

A full accounting of all funds will be provided to any donors.  I have started off with $50 for 2013.  Anyone who would like to chip in $10 or whatever please paypal me itsmebobo at yahoo dot com. No public posts will be made by me about who has donated but you may post about your own contribution if you wish.  Records will be kept to assure the concerned this is not scam.  Proof of purchase from LOR will be required to claim the scholarship.   If for some reason the scholarship is not awarded, all donations will be returned.

Read about prior years here

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ItsMeBobO

• greywolf

• Herbaclaus

• DougP

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for getting this started Bob !! I stated in the other post 200 so I just sent 200 to you. Cant wait to see all the lucky folks this year.. Thanks for spear heading this again..

Jeff

I as well started with $200.. on the way..

I posted this link on the other page what RainyOregonChristmas started

Edited by plasmadrive

As stated in the other post from RainyOregonChristmas:

I will donate a LOR Advanced License, or the cash equivalent

I just sent you an Email Bob, with the cash equivalent instead

Edited by PMC

I stated I would match up to $250 for gifts after that initial $500 given. Looks like there is an additional $150 so far. Lets get another $100 by this time tomorrow.

Herb

The fund has $700 in the bank! On the first day!  What a generous bunch of folks here.    It's going to be a wonderful Christmas for several newbie families!    Last year the fund was open for collections for three weeks and collected $460.  We can beat that by 400% cant we?   

Also.. Donors please help me out by including your LOR handle with your paypal.  It hard to know who is who. 

We have an open challenge on the table for another 20 hours.. Make your donation go further by donating now and get it doubled! 

Can we donate things like hardware, controllers or lights?

In the past we have not accepted used equipment.  The fund admin is concerned that things may get mixed up as a lot can happen in the few month span while the fund is active.  So  I am asking for cooperation via patience and discipline.   This may seem like a lot of rules but I hope it will keep things on the up and up. 

For non-cash donations I would like the fund to just keep a list of the possible donor and items for while.   There will be many applicants posting who need everything and it will be very tempting to send an item right away.. but if we start sending anything before the end of the application period we will get crossed up as then that person would no longer need the new item with warranty from LOR.   So I am asking people who wish to donate an item and its shipping cost to email or PM me with its description   You will be asked to hold on to it,  do not send or otherwise dispose of the pledged items until the end.     Each applicant fills out a survey of their current display.  Some may already have some parts and need only specific things.  At the end, a long while from now,  After the winners are notified they win a cash scholarship.. they are asked to purchase the LOR item they need directly from LOR (may be a built controller or kit, CCx or whatever) and to send the fund the invoice and they get reimbursed from the fund. This way the warranty is in their own name and the fund does not get in the middle with support and other problems.  Plus they get to pick their own item instead the fund deciding for them.  After the fund has paid out we still have a list of all needs for the applicants.  We will then try to match donor and need and assign the pledged item donor to an applicant.   After we get confirmation the donor is agreeable and pledge can still be fulfilled, the fund will notify the winner and donor will get the address to ship to.   Then there may be additional posts to try to find a needed item.  I am hoping the applicants will not do this themselves but let the fund do it for them anonymously. 

Anyone who donates cash or pledges a used item to be shipped later will get to review the applicant surveys and participate in decisions made by the fund.    I hope this was clear enough and not too cumbersome to make it work. Thanks all.  Bob-O

How bout putting a controller up for auction in here and the proceeds go to the fund? Donating it... And i'll cover cost of shipping, then transfer funds to the controller fund.

How bout putting a controller up for auction in here and the proceeds go to the fund? Donating it... And i'll cover cost of shipping, then transfer funds to the controller fund.

Maybe I dont understand your question. You dont need the funds approval to sell an item. You may mention the newbie fund in your sale or auction but the newbie fund does not want to promote it as a sponsored event.   A generous offer to gift the proceeds.   Thank you.

Sending $150 to the account...

This is the best(positive) thing we have done in this communty in a VERY long time!

I'm feeled with joy! :D

This should put the account around $1050.00 in one day if my math is correct, but I have been wrong before. I am a man..... LOL

Would personally like to thank everyone that has been involved with this years pledges! Most of all I would like to give the upmost shout-out to Bobo for all that he does for this community. From the programs he designs to the making of this fund. I for understand that our time is not cheap for we are only here for a short term. We gotta make the best of what we have and to give when we can to those who are willing to put effort into the things they strive to receive!

May Gods light shine on us all

THANKS

Well I am not sure how I missed this the last 2 years but way to go everyone this year and years past. I had no idea this had been happening until yesterday. I will chip in in a month or so, bought to many GECE's after Christmas. I will also donate some lights including shipping.

Bob, fantastic that you organize this on top of all those cool things you write for us. Over the top man.

I wish that I could be as generous as some of the others, but Real Estate has been a little dry for the past few months and I blew my budget on after Christmas sales.  Still, sending a bit also.