Light-O-Rama Forums

desoldering trouble with diy kit

Iamalightaholic

i recently purchased a ctb16dv6 blue board kit and everything was going smoothly until i went to test the controller. After it did not function correctly i realized that i put in a resistor network in backwards. I can not seem to get it desoldered. I gave tried desoldering wick and desoldering pumps with no luck. I got the surface solder off but the solder down on the board i just could not get. After a while i thought i had removed enough solder to pull it out. long story short i got the component out but the pins are broken off inside the pcb. I need suggestions on how to get them out because i still can not get them out of the small holes on the PCB. P.S i do not want to use the banging or blowing method.

Have LOR fix it for you just open a help ticket. I have srcewed a few things up in the past and LOR will fix it.

Edited by MCas4380

+1 on asking LOR for help.

I once put in 8 of my optos backwards (hey, it could happen to anyone!), and they fixed it and turned it back around in 2 days.

Go buy a solder sucker. Will instantly change your life in terms of removing a part you installed incorrectly or a part that went bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Sucking-Vacuum-Desoldering-Solder-Remover/dp/B005GIPKOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358810738&sr=8-1&keywords=solder+sucker I have this exact one, and will never ever ever go without one again.

Great advice on the solder sucker, in addition get some solder wick to cleanup the solder the sucker doesn't get. If you can't get the hole cleaned out add a little more solder and you'll probably find it cleans up much easier. Careful with your temperature also, otherwise you may cause damage to the PCB

Cheers

Daryl B.

A Kirby vac works great for a solder sucker :D Also, use a pin to push out the remaining bits. I had the exact same thing happen when I did my first board G2. I got it out and emailed LOR. They very kindly told me a replacement was on the way and told me it was alright to to leave it reversed and mentioned that it said so in the directions. The directions was open on that page and in red text stating the fact that the resistor cluster can be reversed. Boy, did I feel stupid!

You can also try reflowing new solder on it, then use a solder sucker to suck out the leads.

Use a small solder iron tip, don't set the temp too high(if you have an adjustable iron). Dont apply to much pressure from the iron on the pad or you'll damage it.

Also, if you have an extra resister lying around, you can carefully heat up the pad, and using the resister, push the broken leads thru, then reflow the pad again, and use the sucker to remove the lead.

A lot of times, repairing circuit boards may actually require you to break off the damaged part ie; resister pack, ic, etc, and use the above methods to remove each pin one at a time anyway. 

Just have to be careful not to damage the solder pads on the board.