Light-O-Rama Forums

Creating Instant Sequences for other than CCR display

shempster

I have followed the tutorial and all I am getting is flashing lights that are not always coordinated with the beat of the music. I'm rolling the dice and craping out. Anyone have any suggestions on how to use the software to develop a good light sequence?

There have been a couple of articles written about the Superstar Sequence Editor and its features. Here are a few.

Brian talks about the software in general.

More tips and tricks from Brian.

More tips on the Instant Sequence feature.

I've not used it much, so I admit I can't explain this that well. However, if the objects in your imported visualization are lined up in rows the Instant Sequence function tends to work a little better.

Thank you, but I am looking to use the Instant Sequence without using CCRs. It doesn't appear that the software is of much value beyond the CCRs unless you want to see an uncoordinated light show.

Each time you roll the dice and create a new sequence the old sequence should be erased. You can do this with the "Clear All without Saving" button in the lower part of the Instant Sequence dialog box. SuperStar is supposed to automatically clear the old sequence each time you create a new Instant Sequence but in the current release of the software there is a bug and it does not do that so you need to clear it yourself.

Also, Instant Sequence will not produce sequences as good as what can be done manually, but they should be coordinated with the music. The biggest problem is they tend to be too "blinky" that is, they turn the lights on and off too much. In the tutorial "Instant Sequence on a Visualization" it shows some Instant Sequences on a visualization. Yours should look as good as that.

There are some songs that work betters than others. Songs where many instruments are played loudly throughout the whole frequence range don't work as well. Songs that are punctuated and don't use as many instruments work better. "The House On Christmas Street" is a song that works quite well. I am curious, what songs are you using to create Instant Sequence with?

Fireflies by TSO and non-Christmas pop hits. I'm just playing with different songs. I was also hoping to buy some CCRs and introduce them into the songs I purchased from Wowlights.com. I am glad I purchased the software first instead of going all in with a major investment in CCRs. I am not as optimistic as I was.

Shempster, I found that grouping my lights as one prop does help with the Instant Sequencer.

For example my house's roof and walls are 9 channels and in 4 colors so I make the 9 red channels 1 prop, 9 blue channels prop, the same for white and red.

I also find that the themes "1 morph full length", "meteor full length" and "star burst" work out pretty good, all with the color set to "RGBW by group". I also think that having movement set to "random" looks best with the above themes, but this is just personal preference. Also changing the timing map sensitivity, length of effect, apply sensitivity as and default

As Brian said it tends to be too "blinky" and I have found that if you set your timings in the sequence editor to say 0.01 then copy them and paste by cell to say 0.03 or 0.04 they spread out and are less blinky.

You have to do this in small sections not the whole song. When you create and instant sequence and export it, then open up in the sequence editor you will see where the lights go on and then go off, that is the section I copy and paste, then the next and so on. It will take a while to find what works best for you.

To be honest I don't think instant sequencer for regular lights does a very good job, but with some tweaking of what it came up with you can make them into pretty descent sequences. I remember someone posting that it was a good place to start and I have to agree with that.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps.

If you want I can send you a sample of what instant sequencer came up with and what I changed it into so you can see what I am talking about

That's good information. I started cutting and pasting, and with a greater time investment, it can be useful. I guess there are no shortcuts to a good sequence. Thanks.