• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TitusCarnathan

• Santas Helper

• TGabriel

• George Simmons

To me these forums are like a conversation. And as in many conversations with different people, some things get repeated over and over. Does that not make them still enjoyable conversations though?

Every question there is has probably been answered at some point on this forum or elsewhere. Does that mean we should all stop posting and just search google for the answer? That doesn't sound like very much fun.

There's already a couple of people on this forum i would consider "friends" because i felt like i've had a nice conversation with them in this forum. Could i have searched and found my answer without posting the question? Maybe, maybe not. There's been several times where i've followed up a post with another question because the answer just wasn't quite specific enough. But for me it was fun posting and seeing the response and interacting.

There's something else going on with you if you get so upset at someone for asking a "dumb" question you need to belittle them in your reply. Would you give the same response in person face to face or are you hiding behing the anonimity of the internet? Would you give the same response to your kid (i.e. a newbie) if they asked that question? Would you tell them "Sorry Johnny jr. you're an idiot for asking that question now go search the internet for the answer and put your big-boy pants on!"

Some of you should read your last 10 posts. How many of them have been helpful or informative vs complaining about the OP and whether they did the proper research before daring to ask a question? Now who's repeating themselves when all you do is complain about the questions being asked?

Hindsight is 20-20. When you already know the answer it's easy to come up with that question to find the right answer.

You should be excited there are new people just as excited as you were years ago when you first started. Yes, we might want to know the answer right away rather than spending 8 hours searching and reading. You could answer the question in less time than it takes to reply with your smartass answer so why not either answer or ignore it? I just don't understand.

I've been on this forum pretty regularly for almost 2 months. I've not seen a lot of posts where i thought to myself "now that guys a real a$$ for asking that question", but i've seen a lot of responses where i think the other way.

Whew!

Tony

I know quite well the feelings of some high-profile former members of this forum, as well as the feelings of many who are on their way out the door, and many who've chosen to go silent. But then, that should come as no surprise. What might surprise some is just how many people I'm describing, and how many years of experience and loyalty to LOR they represent. If I was the President of LOR, I'd definitely be more than just a little concerned. But nevertheless, I speak for no one but myself.

Dale W and I don't generally agree on very much, but in this case, at least on one point, he's absolutely correct. Many LOR veterans, both past and present, do indeed congregate elsewhere. And many of us DO INDEED make fun of fools and idiots and power-hungry Admins - wherever they be found. (It just so happens that so many of them seem to be found here these days.)

We also have a good time; we joke with, insult and pick on each other; we share and corroborate on new ideas and new technology; we keep trolls at bay; we call out stupid ideas and dangerous practices for what they are without fear of retribution or castigation; we teach and learn from each other; we encourage, compliment, challenge and respect each other... in other words, all the good things that used to happen here.

I suppose what makes me rude is others who are rude. They wait till the last hour, and then come in here and expect everyone to drop everything they are doing to hold their hand. They come in here with the most basic questions. Questions that could have been answered by them taking a few minutes to read it in the manual. The one that came with the controller. That is just plain rude. Then we have the one that gets an answer like yes johnny the use of a GFI is necessary for a healthy display. But they are not happy with that answer and want to argue the points. I love hearing a question from someone that says I read XY and I just dont get it. Could someone explain it to me in different words? I understand that. I among others dont always understand and need it explain in different language. Its just the mindless, you owe me, types of questions that are asked.

I passed on a lot of those questions this past sprint and summer, but when it got to be late fall, and having seen this all year. Well I suppose it gets to me. And many times my answer was to read the manual or wait till next year cause this is no plug and play hobby. How many of you have tried to fly a RC airplane? How about a RC Helicopter? Was there not some reading and then a lot of flight simulation? Or did you just go out and try to fly that model on your own, if so how long where you in the air before you crashed? If you want to keep it in the air and bring it down for a soft landing. There is time one must put into the hobby first. It to is not a plug and play hobby.

Did anyone notice something???? No admin's deleting post, no locked thread, everybody has been able to say their piece and no really big problem. Maybe this should be an example that all the deleting and locking is way overboard and that we are all adults and should be able to post crap and work it out among ourself's. Do not take this comment wrong,but the "Little Hitler" style of moderation was not working. Maybe LOR has seen the light and figured out we can all play nice together, it may just take us a little time to vent and get over it.

That is my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. Now, off to watch the rest of the game.

I wouldn't expect the admin to delete or lock this thread as of this point.

It has been an open discussion about some current events that has not included negative personal attacks.

This is the exact reason for the Coffee Shop Forum.

Hopefully, the forum users will take this as an example of what threads should contain.

This forum has changed a great deal. The former lack of moderation rules has been corrected.

Is it something new that people join and ask questions? New people come and go all the time. Only now they are not being chased away so quickly.

Completely proper rules about personal attacks are finally being enforced. THANK YOU admin! This place is much better for it.

Edited by ItsMeBobO

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the newbies.

Unless I'm missing something.... If so, someone please PM me.

Questions are asked all the time. I don't see veterans just simply walking away because of that.

These forums are like jobs. After a while, change is needed to keep life fresh. Or FB is the turn of the "new forum".

No doubt moderators have been an influence if this is the case. FB don't have mods and is more free lib stuff.

I've been around many years and do not think newbies has anything to do with change going on here.

There are several other factors involved. That's all I'll say about it.

Scubado (Jim),

Congrats on your 2K post.

PM me if you feel like sharing.

Guest Don Gillespie

This forum has changed a great deal. The former lack of moderation rules has been corrected.

Is it something new that people join and ask questions? New people come and go all the time. Only now they are not being chased away so quickly.

Completely proper rules about personal attacks are finally being enforced. THANK YOU admin! This place is much better for it.

you seem happy that they are not here any more Bob, is that because Jeff called you on your software and that upset you?

Wow, totally uncalled for Don. Bob spends a lot of his time trying to give us tools to help out our displays. Bob all the way from St. Louis made people in Cleveland happier this past holiday season.

Wow, totally uncalled for Don. Bob spends a lot of his time trying to give us tools to help out our displays. Bob all the way from St. Louis made people in Cleveland happier this past holiday season.

Agree 100%. Uncalled for.

Bob spends gobs of his time creating awesome tools for us FOR FREE!

I would like to thank Bob very much for his generosity to this hobby!

--------

PS Just because Bob is repulsive http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/25552-i-am-repulsive/page__hl__repulsive does not give anyone the right to attack him. ;) This is a joke. Read the linked thread before you think I am being a jerk to Bob.

Edited by LORi P

Guest Don Gillespie

Jeff who? Thanks for the software plug though.

I just asked a question, you can choose to ignore it if you want, however your statement in your previous post clearly stats that people are being chased away, can you elaborate on this a little more, who is chasing them away.

Guest Don Gillespie

No I don't beleive it was uncalled for Bob, made a statement and he should come clean by what he means, beating around the bush and running in circles is what irratates me, say what you mean or don't say anything at all.

Agree 100%. Uncalled for.

Bob spends gobs of his time creating awesome tools for us FOR FREE!

I would like to thank Bob very much for his generosity to this hobby!

--------

I am not questioning what bob has done I simply asked him a question, so if asking some one a question is uncalled for then why do we have the forum??

Well I saw nothing in Bobs post about him being glad anyone was gone. He thanked the admins here for putting in rules about respecting others. Pretty much a standard policy on any forum.

Internet bullies always have so much to say.

You then meet them in person, and they can't even look you in the eyes.

Funny,

a site based on creating light shows to make people happy,

can have so many bitter angry people. Get over yourselves.......

Guest Don Gillespie

Internet bullies always have so much to say.

You then meet them in person, and they can't even look you in the eyes.

Funny,

a site based on creating light shows to make people happy,

can have so many bitter angry people. Get over yourselves.......

And what does your post add to this thread, I asked what happened to all the good guys, you know the guys with a lot of knowledge, it seems a lot of people are very happy that some of them are gone, I for one am not happy about it, they had so much information about this hobby it is a shame to lose them.