Light-O-Rama Forums

Where Have All The good Guys Gone

Guest Don Gillespie

Do you know how hard it would be to come up with an original question here...

Don't look now, but I think you've just done it! ;)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TitusCarnathan

• Santas Helper

• TGabriel

• George Simmons

Lets get real for a minute. How many people have left because they couldn't call posts and posters stupid? Regardless of knowledge, is there any place for trolling? Some people are "natural-born trouble makers". And I find it amusing they gripe about how bad a forum is but they continue to monitor posts and comment about them on their "invitation only" forums started for the sole purpose of mocking members here and elsewhere.

Well if it's by invite only,as you say, you must have been invited correct?? And if you were invited that means your doing the same thing they are. The pot calling the kettle black.

Just an observation...

You can find most folks on the DIY forum, Aussie site, or one of the many FB pages.

The DIY board is ruthless. Newbies probably don't want to hang their hats there. DIY, means DO IT YOURSELF. Folks there are full of good information and are happy to answer questions. But, if you show up there with the "GIMMEE" attititude, they will chew you up and spit you out and not think twice about doing it. There won't be a moderator to complain to or protect you. No one to complain to if you strike a deal and it goes south.

Well if it's by invite only,as you say, you must have been invited correct?? And if you were invited that means your doing the same thing they are. The pot calling the kettle black.

I have been members of several of the splinter forums. Some were started to focus on their particular area of expertise in Christmas decorating. Others would split from those due to personality conflicts.

Still others were started for the purpose of making fun of others. Knowledge of their existence is not the same as being a participant, though I have been known to get sarcastic with posters that I perceive as trolling.

Hang around and watch. You will soon see.

/most forums started were pre-Facebook. Most are dead or so inactive they aren't worth visiting. I suppose, then, you would have to ask the creators of each from as to what motivated them to start it.

//I call them like I see them

A lot of the old PC and LOR members are on Facebook.

Good to see ya again Michael.

I tried Facebook a couple years ago and my life is just too busy to keep up with it. It's almost that way with forums.

Just an observation...

You can find most folks on the DIY forum, Aussie site, or one of the many FB pages.

The DIY board is ruthless. Newbies probably don't want to hang their hats there. DIY, means DO IT YOURSELF. Folks there are full of good information and are happy to answer questions. But, if you show up there with the "GIMMEE" attititude, they will chew you up and spit you out and not think twice about doing it. There won't be a moderator to complain to or protect you. No one to complain to if you strike a deal and it goes south.

This is just not true. I am on DIYC all the time and have found it to be a very helpful community. I came from LOR boards and had never even held a soldering iron before. I found nothing but supportive and enthusiastic people.

It does tailor to DIY, so, yes, if you want plug and play solutions, you will probably be guided to solutions that fit those goals.

Any inappropriate or rude posts are moderated just like any other forum.

It's funny/sad... I have many hobbies and I've noticed the same thing happening on most of those forums too. I feel like I'm just into all these hobbies for fun while others do them as a way of life. Too many people are way too serious with this stuff for me. If I wanted confrontation or negativity I'd just stick to real life because there's enough of those there.

Sucks people let things get to them enough that they feel like leaving is their only way out. I've never understood this... why not just NOT visit for a while and take a break? I do that with every hobby I have throughout the year. When I get too busy or people get too weird or whatever I just stop. It's really that simple.

Oh well... it's time for my usual break from lights now since the season is over. Next up is my arcade game hobby... curious how many old timers will still be here for next season.

-Jeff

Gentlemen i don't know if this is true or not but someone told me there is another board where you have to pay a fee for the year to join and many from here and planet christmas have joined again i 'm not sure of this information

I have never, nor will I ever pay a fee to join a forum. There are many other options, such as here, where there are many people willing to help. I don't know much about LOR, setting up lights, etc. But, the little I have learned so far, I am more than willing to pass on.

I "think" I read on a post that they were just getting tired of answering questions that have been covered "forever" by them and others, by newbies, NOT using the search. I could be wrong.

Tom Straub

I have asked a few questions. Yes, I did search first. The main problem is the search engine. It's not just here though, other sites are the same. If you do a search for 'incan lights', you will get results for incan and lights as if you searched for 2 separate words. You'll also get results for INCANdescent. Sometimes for a newbie to sift through and find exactly what you're looking for is daunting, especially if you're new and don't know exactly what your looking for.

Edited by TheJackal

This is just not true. I am on DIYC all the time and have found it to be a very helpful community. I came from LOR boards and had never even held a soldering iron before. I found nothing but supportive and enthusiastic people.

It does tailor to DIY, so, yes, if you want plug and play solutions, you will probably be guided to solutions that fit those goals.

Any inappropriate or rude posts are moderated just like any other forum.

What part of what I said is not true?

the part that everyone on that site is very helpful or the part about them being ruthless? I've been on both ends of the spectrum on that site. So that was experience talking.

I was stupid (I got into it with one of their "inner circle" people), and I got exactly what I deserved.

I didn't go whine to a moderator, create some phony page on FB to bad mouth a company or person. I manned up and admitted my mistake.

I have never, nor will I ever pay a fee to join a forum. There are many other options, such as here, where there are many people willing to help. I don't know much about LOR, setting up lights, etc. But, the little I have learned so far, I am more than willing to pass on.

I have asked a few questions. Yes, I did search first. The main problem is the search engine. It's not just here though, other sites are the same. If you do a search for 'incan lights', you will get results for incan and lights as if you searched for 2 separate words. You'll also get results for INCANdescent. Sometimes for a newbie to sift through and find exactly what you're looking for is daunting, especially if you're new and don't know exactly what your looking for.

i thought when they upgraded that the search engine would be better. It's not, it still sucks. If you want to search, you're better off using google and search the LOR forum from there.

i thought when they upgraded that the search engine would be better. It's not, it still sucks. If you want to search, you're better off using google and search the LOR forum from there.

I got a PM from someone saying if you did a search, in my example, for incan lights.....put both words in quotes and it will only search for whats in quotes. I tried that and it worked!! I have been on many forums of many topics and never considered doing that. Now I wonder how many people have done the searches the same way!?

This is very true, sifting through all the results of a search is enough to make you forget what you were searching for. The answers are certainly there but it takes an awfull lot of reading to find them. I'm a newbie at this, first display will be this year and I have been reading the forums for about a year and only found out about snubbers last week lol. I think the biggest problem for a newbie is that you don't know what you don't know. Hopefully when the time comes that I need to ask a question it will be an intelligent one!!

Do yourself a favor and use Google to search. It will save your sanity. Just type in LOR Forums (and then what you are searching for).

Using LOR search...

LED

Result - No results found for 'led'.

Guest Don Gillespie

Just an observation...

. But, if you show up there with the "GIMMEE" attititude, they will chew you up and spit you out and not think twice about doing it. There won't be a moderator to complain to or protect you. No one to complain to if you strike a deal and it goes south.

the gimmee gimmee crowds are getting bigger all the time, it must be the generation that is coming up, how in the hell do they expect to learn anything if they don't try it by themselves, when I hire young guys I make them do stuff on their own, if they try it and it doesn't work and they have a question I will answer it, but if they just ask me before they try, it pisses me off to no end, who said it is better to learn from your own mistakes, was absolutley correct, my guys would never come to me complain that this guy hurt my feelings or this guy said some thing nasty, in the real world you have to wear your big boy pants, I also think the moderators have gone overboard and need to step back, because I fear if they don't they will be the only ones answering questions to the gimmee crowds, and will wish some of these guys that have left were here to help out.

I can remember the good ole days on LOR that you could have fun, make jokes and all had a good time.

Now it seems if you try that, someone will cry to the admins and get thread locked, posts removed or worse. I agree DonG, everyone to to but on their big boy pants and not let the little stuff bother them.

If you think I'm wrong, go search the thread with Jim's tree falling down. That went on for a long time and nobody went crying to admin. Search frickin wire cutters, again, nobody cried foul. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea.

If you think I'm wrong, go search the thread with Jim's tree falling down. That went on for a long time and nobody went crying to admin. Search frickin .

And it still keep coming up to this day. Poor Jim

If you think I'm wrong, go search the thread with Jim's tree falling down. That went on for a long time and nobody went crying to admin.

I went cryin' to Admin ALL the time about that!!! Still do today...

And they won't do a DAMN thing about it!!!

I guess it's because the tears were from laughing so hard... :P