Light-O-Rama Forums

Where Have All The good Guys Gone

Guest Don Gillespie

George if the remaining vets leave. I guess the new people that take offence to everything you say to them will have to google to find things. After dealing with people that get p**t off when you tell them about the danger of not using GFCI's I decided to slow down on helping people. I still am helping people to a point but you have a better chance of catching me on the LOR UG facebook page.

I think my new SIG says it all.

Edited by TitusCarnathan

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TitusCarnathan

• Santas Helper

• TGabriel

• George Simmons

Like i said in post #3 ( I just hope they didn't burn the bridge down )

As in case they do want to come back or in case I need to cross the bridge to leave.

Guest Don Gillespie

Well I think it is a crying shame, and to think that most of the problems have derived from a moderator who thinks he is king, or a developer that won't stand up when there is some thing wrong (head shaking here), i guess my next move is to find them on another forum and pick their brains from there.

I will agree that some of the guys that have left are/were very knowledgeable...as I was also one of those that picked their brains when I first came on board here back in 2009...

but some of those who have left, IMO, were acting quite childish and not wanting to abide by the rules set forth here...

Yes, their knowledge will be missed...but certainly not their childish behavior...

When I was first starting, the two people from whom I learned the most was Jeff Millard and William Bottomley. I had more questions than knowledge and they each took the time to answer those questions - publicly, by PM and by email. It didn't take me long to recognize who the "go to" guys around here were. It's a shame that today's new people won't have access to those same resources.

Lets get real for a minute. How many people have left because they couldn't call posts and posters stupid? Regardless of knowledge, is there any place for trolling? Some people are "natural-born trouble makers". And I find it amusing they gripe about how bad a forum is but they continue to monitor posts and comment about them on their "invitation only" forums started for the sole purpose of mocking members here and elsewhere.

I guess I am a trouble maker as well because I got cussed out that one time when I tried to warn people about the dangers of disconnecting the GFCI. And I SAID IT NICE. Which I will say it because I don't care anymore it is a STUPID MOVE.

And they left because They reported an issue on the BETA forum and they were told it is all of their machines and not a software glitch and it has been found out that it happend to others. Plus there is a few other issues.

Edited by TitusCarnathan

I frequent several Christmas forums. For some reason this forum has some sort of and odd vibe going on lately. I can't really pin it on any one thing though. It definatelly is wierd to read a semingly innocent thread and then come back later to see it locked down with all of the replies deleted. I'm like how does a simple thread like that get so out of control so quickly? I think if people are not having fun then they are less likely to post. They will will go somewhere else that is fun to post or even get off forums all together - whatever it takes to start having fun again.

I try to get along with as many people as I possibly can I have answered the same questions many times, yes they could have searched and got the same answer but I understand their excitement of getting their show up and running as easy and as fast as they can, many found out and have given up because it isn't as plug-n-play as they thought, yes people get short fused in here, that's when I ignore them and move on

But, for me my first light show was 2007 (very basic stuff, but with the help of Wowlights I got it up and running), And I spent all of 2008 lurking on these forums and watching the Pros do it, I didn't feel I was on their level until I became a member of this forum in Dec 2008 thats where I felt I could ask questions, if you look at my show from 2007

Then in 2008

You will see I learned quite a bit, and I never asked a question I did everything by searching this forum, my mentors was Jeff & William and many others of that time, and when I hear of William thinking of hanging this hobby it up its a loss for his whole community

Edited by PMC

I guess I am a trouble maker as well because I got cussed out that one time when I tried to warn people about the dangers of disconnecting the GFCI. And I SAID IT NICE. Which I will say it because I don't care anymore it is a STUPID MOVE.

And they left because They reported an issue on the BETA forum and they were told it is all of their machines and not a software glitch and it has been found out that it happend to others. Plus there is a few other issues.

I can't agree more about the gfci's and I have wanted to post stupid dumb a@# and many more adjectives but I held back and posted clearly not rude about the need for gfcis. this is my third season and I have noticed many new posters with stupid questions and stuff that could be found easily with a fast search. this is very aggravating but folks come here for help and it is a great hobby.

I can't agree more about the gfci's and I have wanted to post stupid dumb a@# and many more adjectives but I held back and posted clearly not rude about the need for gfcis. this is my third season and I have noticed many new posters with stupid questions and stuff that could be found easily with a fast search. this is very aggravating but folks come here for help and it is a great hobby.

When I am on the Beta Forum, I will fight for what I believe in, Sometimes I win and yes sometimes I do get.......well here is what I feel I am like sometimes when nothing works (sorry for the video clips)

I have been a member here since 2006 and not one time has it bothered me that someone has asked the same question, I probably asked a question someone else had asked. Do you know how hard it would be to come up with an original question here, I would say pretty darn hard.

If you think the LOR forums are dead check out PC. I was surprised that it was a ghost town this year. I think it's that the hobby landscape has changed and people have flowed in the direction of the new stuff and most of it is DIY.

If you think the LOR forums are dead check out PC. I was surprised that it was a ghost town this year. I think it's that the hobby landscape has changed and people have flowed in the direction of the new stuff and most of it is DIY.

since nutcracker works on all sequencers, i post lots of places

DIYC, ACL, DLA, PC, LOR, LSP,LSH (Lone Star Holiday), HU (holiday universe), CC (Christmas Carolina),

By far DLA and DIYC are the most active, next is LOR, followed by ACL, PC, LSP

It has a lot to do with atmosphere too. The cutting-edge hardware might be changing, but I think the hobby itself and the camaraderie remains pretty much the same. Friends are still friends, adversaries are still idiots :D, learning and teaching and sharing is still learning and teaching and sharing, trolls are still trolls, and fun is still fun. It's the forums that change, not the people.