Light-O-Rama Forums

Use SuperStar with Ray's strips?

imacericg

I bought a 150 pixel strip from Ray, can I use SuperStar? Looks like it only supports 50 pixels (CCR) and can't find if I can change this.

Yes you can. I did my pixel tree from 12 strings of Ray's pixels and did the sequencing in SSE. For something that does not have the number of pixels to match a CCR, you can use the Visualizer mode (lots of stuff on that in this forum section). Mine were 50 pixel strings so it was easy to just use the CCR mode in SSE.

To create a string of 150 RGB lights in the visualizer you need to create each light as an RGB bulb fixture, then you can put them into a prop. Except that props are limited to 64 fixtures, so you can't put them all into one prop. You don't need to put them into a prop except that it makes it easier so you can select the prop and move it arround.

If it's the strip I'm thinking of, it is a 150 led strip, but you control 3 led's at a time. in reality you have a 50 channel strip. Count the number of IC's on the strip (the square black pieces) and you should count only 50. One for every 3 led's

Pixel strips can be 150, 300 or 600 pixels per 5 meter strip (even seen some 160 per 5 meter which is 32 per meter) I have some of each ( the 600 per 5 meter being dumb string white only and VERY VERY bright).

If it's the strip I'm thinking of, it is a 150 led strip, but you control 3 led's at a time. in reality you have a 50 channel strip. Count the number of IC's on the strip (the square black pieces) and you should count only 50. One for every 3 led's

If I understand correctly, Ray's strips use the TM1809 chip. This as I understand it controls 3 RGB lights, hence individual LED control. In other words, each LED is a pixel. One control chip per 3 LEDs or three individual pixels. Not 3 LEDs per pixel. This makes it different than CCRs (one chip controls three LEDs as a group which is called a pixel). I hope this helps! Edited by fdunham

I have to agree with jC, been thru Rays stuff and don't recall seeing a 150pixel string

1+ i believe your confusing Pixels with how many IC are in a strip

• 2 months later...

i Have 2 strips from Ray that are 150 pixels using a 2801 controller. Have used Superstar, just copy and pasted to each group of 50 LED's, I'm sure there is a shorter way, but I am new to Superstar.