Light-O-Rama Forums

Renaming channels

TheJackal

I open a new sequence and rename channel 1, let's say...mini tree 1 and channel 2...mini tree 2, etc etc until all 16 channels are renamed. How can I get those renames into the next sequence I start? Is there a way to save them for another sequence?

Edited by TheJackal

You'll want to create a Channel Config file.

First create it.

1. Click "Edit -> Export/Import Channel Configuration -> Export Channel Configuration."
  2. When prompted, enter a filename for your template. It is now saved to your computer.

Then you will want to use it in the next sequence.

1. Open your existing sequence.
  2. Click "Edit -> Export/Import Channel Configuration -> Import Channel Configuration."
  3. Select the LCC file you created from above.

If you are creating a new sequence, right around where it ask how many channels you want to use it allows you to import channel config. Then at the bottom check save defaults, doing so will save Your name, the channel config, and your grid timing selection. Then the next time you create a new sequence it will have that already filled out for you.

Channel config will save, all your tracks, your animation and of course your channel layout.

The only thing the channel config file won't save {and I don't know why this is} is if you used a fixed timing grid and tracks. Seems every time I use a fixed timing grid of 0.05 and multiple tracks, only track 1 will show up with the fixed grid. I have to go and delete all the other grid info one by one until all my tracks are set as a fixed timing grid of 0.05.

I wish the SE Channel Config would just use the same 0.05 grid I set up in all tracks I have, but it doesn't. Again, don't know why it works this way as I would have hoped my fixed timing grid would be in every track and not have to manually delete or select it for tracks 2-xxx as that just adds more time wasted on something that should be done for you when the channel config file is loaded/used as a default.

Just something you want to be aware of if you use a fixed timing grid and multiple tracks in the SE.

The only thing the channel config file won't save {and I don't know why this is} is if you used a fixed timing grid and tracks. Seems every time I use a fixed timing grid of 0.05 and multiple tracks, only track 1 will show up with the fixed grid. I have to go and delete all the other grid info one by one until all my tracks are set as a fixed timing grid of 0.05.

I wish the SE Channel Config would just use the same 0.05 grid I set up in all tracks I have, but it doesn't. Again, don't know why it works this way as I would have hoped my fixed timing grid would be in every track and not have to manually delete or select it for tracks 2-xxx as that just adds more time wasted on something that should be done for you when the channel config file is loaded/used as a default.

Just something you want to be aware of if you use a fixed timing grid and multiple tracks in the SE.

Channel Config files were never intended to save timings.

The reason you have to manually change the timing grid for each track is due in part to why tracks were created in the first place. There was a time when you couldn't have multiple timing grids. The only way to have a different timing grid was with a new track. I'd be willing to bet there are people who still use multiple tracks for purpose.

The reason you have to manually change the timing grid for each track is due in part to why tracks were created in the first place. There was a time when you couldn't have multiple timing grids. The only way to have a different timing grid was with a new track. I'd be willing to bet there are people who still use multiple tracks for purpose.

Interesting Don. I figured since the first tracks timings are saved, if you set all tracks to 0.05, it would have saved the same timings to all tracks, not just the first one. Perhaps there needs to be an option in the SE for those that may be like me and want all the tracks with the same fixed timing we could import it with our specific defaults. Don't know if that would be possible in the SE or not at this time, but it would sure cut down on the time I waste on converting all the added tracks from no timings at all to the one I use most.

Interesting Don. I figured since the first tracks timings are saved, if you set all tracks to 0.05, it would have saved the same timings to all tracks, not just the first one.

The file created when you create a LCC file (or channel template) does not save any timing information in it.

The file created when you create a LCC file (or channel template) does not save any timing information in it.

Okay, if that is true, why would the first track default to the 0.05 fixed timing? Or is the SE getting this information from somewhere else? I'm just trying to fully understand why the first track defaults to the fixed timing I have set, especially if the Channel Config file does not save any timings, then where does the SE determine what the timing in the first track would be? And why wouldn't it use that same fixed timing in all tracks being set to a default, instead of only the first track and then all other tracks are vacated of any timings at all?

I'm just trying to see if there is a way to default all tracks to one set timing, so if I know where the SE is pulling the info from, maybe there is a way I could do this without having to manually change all additional tracks every time I create a new sequence.

Okay, if that is true, why would the first track default to the 0.05 fixed timing? Or is the SE getting this information from somewhere else? I'm just trying to fully understand why the first track defaults to the fixed timing I have set, especially if the Channel Config file does not save any timings, then where does the SE determine what the timing in the first track would be? And why wouldn't it use that same fixed timing in all tracks being set to a default, instead of only the first track and then all other tracks are vacated of any timings at all?

I'm just trying to see if there is a way to default all tracks to one set timing, so if I know where the SE is pulling the info from, maybe there is a way I could do this without having to manually change all additional tracks every time I create a new sequence.

Open the Sequence Editor. Create a new Musical Sequence. Pick any song.

On the pop up window -> Channel Configuration - Use a saved channel config.

Initial Timings -> 'Don't add any timings' should be checked.

Now, are there any timings in the new sequence? No, there are not. Because timings are not saved in the channel config.

Remember:

Tracks were originally the only way to have multiple timing grids.

As far as I know there is not a way to default the tracks to one timing. (As this would go against the very reason tracks were created in the first place. Just my guess, but changing that part of the code would break other things within the software.)

Open the Sequence Editor. Create a new Musical Sequence. Pick any song.

On the pop up window -> Channel Configuration - Use a saved channel config.

Initial Timings -> 'Don't add any timings' should be checked.

Now, are there any timings in the new sequence? No, there are not. Because timings are not saved in the channel config.

Remember:

Tracks were originally the only way to have multiple timing grids.

As far as I know there is not a way to default the tracks to one timing. (As this would go against the very reason tracks were created in the first place. Just my guess, but changing that part of the code would break other things within the software.)

Well I'm not entirely sure about this, because I have "defaults" set in the SE that I am using, therefore I'd expect those "defaults" to be in place in all tracks. When I start a new musical sequence everything is set as 0.05 timings and the channel config file, so I would expect this to be the same throughout the entire sequence, not just the first track when ser.

See screen shot below of my default settings I use {and why I just can't seem to follow the logic or lack of, why the SE does not default in all tracks when I'm using specific defaults I want to use}.

These are the default settings I have set in the SE and why I don't fully understand why the 0.05 timing is not utilized throughout the entire sequence. I use other software and when I set defaults, that is what is used in all facets of the program. The SE seems to be the only exception that I have come across to this rule of "user default settings". And why I have such a misunderstanding of why it does not follow these defaults throughout the entire sequence when told to do so as "default settings".

Not trying to be a pain here, just trying to completely comprehend and understand why the SE does not follow the same logic as other software when defaults are set within the program.

I honestly just can not follow this logic of defaults not being utilized throughout the SE when set.

Well I'm not entirely sure about this, because I have "defaults" set in the SE that I am using, therefore I'd expect those "defaults" to be in place in all tracks. When I start a new musical sequence everything is set as 0.05 timings and the channel config file, so I would expect this to be the same throughout the entire sequence, not just the first track when ser.

And in that screen shot, the "Don't add any timings" should be checked. (As I mentioned in my other post.) If you do that, then there will be zero timings anywhere in your config.

Not trying to be a pain here, just trying to completely comprehend and understand why the SE does not follow the same logic as other software when defaults are set within the program.

I honestly just can not follow this logic of defaults not being utilized throughout the SE when set.

The logic is, as I said before, the original purpose of tracks was to provide a way to have multiple timing grids. If you default the timing grids to the main track, then you've defeated the original purpose of the tracks.

Again: Just my guess, but changing that part of the code would break other things within the software.

Again, Tracks were originally designed to allow multiple timing grids. That's what they were originally set up for. If you default all the tracks to the main track, you've defeated their original purpose.

The original purpose of tracks was not to allow you to have multiple channel arrangements with the same timings. It was to allow for different timings, as the timing grid drop down did not exist yet.

Any clearer?

Remember: Defaulting all tracks to the same timing grid would go against the original purpose of why tracks were created in the first place. You didn't have the timing grid drop down, so changing to another timing grid wasn't an option. If you defaulted all tracks to the same timing grid, then you would have defeated the purpose of tracks to begin with.

And in that screen shot, the "Don't add any timings" should be checked. (As I mentioned in my other post.) If you do that, then there will be zero timings anywhere in your config.

The logic is, as I said before, the original purpose of tracks was to provide a way to have multiple timing grids. If you default the timing grids to the main track, then you've defeated the original purpose of the tracks.

Again: Just my guess, but changing that part of the code would break other things within the software.

Again, Tracks were originally designed to allow multiple timing grids. That's what they were originally set up for. If you default all the tracks to the main track, you've defeated their original purpose.

The original purpose of tracks was not to allow you to have multiple channel arrangements with the same timings. It was to allow for different timings, as the timing grid drop down did not exist yet.

Any clearer?

Remember: Defaulting all tracks to the same timing grid would go against the original purpose of why tracks were created in the first place. You didn't have the timing grid drop down, so changing to another timing grid wasn't an option. If you defaulted all tracks to the same timing grid, then you would have defeated the purpose of tracks to begin with.

I do undertstand that, but if a user sets defaults, then I guess it's just me, but that's what I'd expect throughout the entire sequence being created. But I do understand what you're saying about how it works now, I just think defaults when set, should follow throughout, again, just my opinion on that.

I was just hoping there may have been some type of workaround that would allow me to set all the tracks to the same timing gird, since it's what I use in all tracks, but then, I guess I'm the "exception" and not the rule to how things are done in the SE.

Guess I'll just have to keep deleting the open timing grids so I can have all tracks with the same timings.

Thanks for clarifying everything. It makes sense in many respects and in my case, it doesn't, again, my opinion on how I think it should have worked. Ah well, I'l just continue doing it the way I do it.