Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini Director Question

copotay

Hello, everyone, my first post. I have been using Leds in my display for a while with a Mr Christmas Box, I know dont laugh. I have finally scraped up a few funds to go LOR and am planning to get the starter 16 kit. I do have a laptop, however was looking at probably using the mini director to run the show due to the location/setup of the controller. I have read the pdf regarding the triggers and using a timer, but my plan is to just turn it on and off when I want it not run or not. I was thinking of just using a simple on and off switch wiring it into the triggers just like a timer, just wondering has anyone does it that way and if so, once you turn it off, and lets say turn it on the next night, will the sequence start from the beginning or from where it left off?

• Like 1

why not just use the built in clock to schedule and run your shows? Nothing worse than someone coming by to see your show and it's not running...

The ShowTime Director can run your show continuously, automatically start/shows shows from it's built-in clock (LOR1602MP3)

Edited by jimswinder

The mini-director doesn't have a built in clock (only the Showtime Director does).

Why not just connect a power adapter to the mini-director and just plug it into a power strip. When you flip the on/off switch on the strip, it will turn on the director. And yes, when it is powered, it will always start back at the 1st sequence.

Or, as I do, why not plug it into a power strip with a digital timer in it and just let it automatically turn it on and off at certain times each night.

Tks for the nfo S4D, I had been reading the PDF and must have misunderstood how it's powered thinking that plugging it into the controller would power it and I would have to turn it on and off via an external switch of some type, switch or timer. The reason I want to control its operation is here in south Louisiana have repeated rain events and or high humidity. This past Christmas I had to keep the Mr Christmas off because of that 50% of the time, so it's easier to just step out the door and turn it on or off. Our humidity was so high some nights this past Christmas, with spring like temperatures, that even with no rain the GFI kept tripping and my plugs or not on the ground they are elevated off the ground.

Just plug the mini into a controller then the controller into the timer/power supply.

mine ran for two years that way just fine.

I just read that I have to remove the jumper to use an external power supply.

Correct. If you wish to use an external power supply on the mini-director, you need to remove a jumper on the inside.

As others have pointed out, you could connect the timer to the controller (specifically, the 9-16 of the controller) and control it that way. The mini-director would be getting the power directly from that controller, so killing the power to the controller would also kill the power to the director.

I think you plug the mini director into the controller with network cable, that will power it.

Then plug the controller into a timer that you set to when you want it to run.

Edit; Wow, I type slow...

Edited by rstately

I just read that I have to remove the jumper to use an external power supply.

I didn't know this will this keep the Director turned off even if controllers in the network have power? Thats been my biggest headache this year with 6 controllers was trying to get them all to power at the same time any controller get power show starts even if the rest aren't on.

I didn't know this will this keep the Director turned off even if controllers in the network have power? Thats been my biggest headache this year with 6 controllers was trying to get them all to power at the same time any controller get power show starts even if the rest aren't on.

If you have 6 controllers, you're probably better off removing the jumper and adding a 9V power supply on a timer.

read the manual, make sure you don't reverse + and -

you could use one of these to make it easy,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATB-ADAPTER-PAIR-CCTV-CAMERA-ACCESSORIES-2-1-X-5-5-BARREL-CONNECTOR-12-VOLTS-DC-/110952412638?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item19d54775de

I only run the timer/power supply to the controller with mini attached. the rest of the controllers stay powered 24/7.

I have used the mini director for years on multiple displays. You can power the mini director from a controller, then switch off the power to that controller and it will stop the mini director. It will start playing as soon as power is re-connected.

However, if you have more than 1 controller in the network ALL of the controllers will power the mini director, not the one that it is physically connected to. So you have to switch off ALL the controllers,

or open the case and remove the jumper. Then get a small power supply to power just the mini director and switch that off when you want to stop/start the show. The controllers can stay powered onIt is pretty simple to convert and the instructions are in the min director manual.

Hope this helps,

Scott

I have used the mini director for years on multiple displays. You can power the mini director from a controller, then switch off the power to that controller and it will stop the mini director. It will start playing as soon as power is re-connected.

However, if you have more than 1 controller in the network ALL of the controllers will power the mini director, not the one that it is physically connected to. So you have to switch off ALL the controllers,

or open the case and remove the jumper. Then get a small power supply to power just the mini director and switch that off when you want to stop/start the show. The controllers can stay powered onIt is pretty simple to convert and the instructions are in the min director manual.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Guess I should clarify my statment. the other controllers that are powered 24/7 are attached to an ELL.

Edited by dknahoolewa

copotay Sorry for jumping in on your thread, and for everyone else thank you

Oh no problem that's why we are all here, there is nothing greater than the exchange of information.

I'd say if you can afford the extra cost, go with the DC-MP3 Showtime Director with the built in clock and battery back up. Been using one for 3+ years, including during the off season to run my Halloween and Christmas shows all automatically, then it runs my exterior lighting, flood lights and ground lighting in my flower garden in the off season.

Best one for the job as far as I'm concerned. Just connects to a controller for power {will use an external 9VDC adapter that LOR has for it}, but I've never really required the adapter, even though I have it.

I wouldn't be without my DC-MP3 Showtime Director, best investment I ever made to start/stop my display, overnight lighting and daytime music during display/lighting off hours.

Tks for the nfo Orville I will check it out during the sale and see how much it's reduced. I have just so much budgeted for my display and just ordered a 500 foot roll of wire with vamp plugs. I got some more led strands from online during after Christmas sales. Boy it does start adding up and thank goodness I already have a lot of led lights.

I'd say if you can afford the extra cost, go with the DC-MP3 Showtime Director with the built in clock and battery back up. Been using one for 3+ years, including during the off season to run my Halloween and Christmas shows all automatically, then it runs my exterior lighting, flood lights and ground lighting in my flower garden in the off season.

Best one for the job as far as I'm concerned. Just connects to a controller for power {will use an external 9VDC adapter that LOR has for it}, but I've never really required the adapter, even though I have it.

I wouldn't be without my DC-MP3 Showtime Director, best investment I ever made to start/stop my display, overnight lighting and daytime music during display/lighting off hours.

Tks for the nfo Orville I will check it out during the sale and see how much it's reduced. I have just so much budgeted for my display and just ordered a 500 foot roll of wire with vamp plugs. I got some more led strands from online during after Christmas sales. Boy it does start adding up and thank goodness I already have a lot of led lights.

Or just use the mini-director (usually on sale for about $100) with a digital timer like shown below for a lot cheaper. Nobody has been able to convince me that the extra $150+ for the old DC-MP3 Showtime Director is worth the price. It is a pretty expensive timer. Now the newer G3-Mp3 Director does have it's advantages, but just a matter if it is worth the price difference to you.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100685866/1xjzZbm5s

dbb703a3-c45f-47d6-bf5b-da6d192d164f_300.jpg