Light-O-Rama Forums

How much does a 50-70ct mini LED string weigh? Too much for a flag pole?

AdamStavs

The topic title is my first question - How much does a 50-70ct mini LED string weigh? I'm at work, and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere

But an easier way of thinking about it might be the potential issue I'm trying to solve. For next year, I want to string up my flagpole with lights. I want to run them about 20' up, so I figure the 50-70ct lights should do it. And I'm thinking about running 64 strings (maybe 96). Think they'd weight too much?

Has anyone done this with success or failure? I read yesterday about peoples mega trees bending and breaking due to high wind (but those sounded like freestanding?). My flagpole is a permanent aluminum pole, that is poured into a footing about 2-3' into the ground.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

The topic title is my first question - How much does a 50-70ct mini LED string weigh? I'm at work, and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere

But an easier way of thinking about it might be the potential issue I'm trying to solve. For next year, I want to string up my flagpole with lights. I want to run them about 20' up, so I figure the 50-70ct lights should do it. And I'm thinking about running 64 strings (maybe 96). Think they'd weight too much?

Has anyone done this with success or failure? I read yesterday about peoples mega trees bending and breaking due to high wind (but those sounded like freestanding?). My flagpole is a permanent aluminum pole, that is poured into a footing about 2-3' into the ground.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

have done that the last two years with a telescoping flagpole, it is a ton of weight. Was a real bear to raise. Came down fast though! lol

Over the years I seem to recall various threads where people had failures when using flagpoles for megatrees. Small light counts are probably fine, but as you start getting higher in counts, weight and forces will definitely exceed what flag poles are designed for (some bend from wind, but not with any weight involved). Then not only do you have to replace/repair you megatree, but then also have to replace your flagpole--both of which can be costly. I would think that especially an aluminum pole would buckle in a flash under such weight when it becomes even slightly off center (from mild winds). If you go this route, guy wire it very well, both from the top, and also in the mid-section.

Don’t want to hijack the thread but this question really goes along with AdamStavs question and could very well give an idea as to what he needs to build to hold the strings. Adam, take a look at the links and this may well be the answer to both of our quandries.

I plan on building this: http://www.magicchristmasnews.org/portable%20hole%20ii.pdf using this: http://www.christmaslightshow.com/pole-pin.html and 1¼” black water pipe for a medium mega tree between 15 and 18 ft. tall.

Does anyone think there will be any problems holding 64; 70 ct.; 23 ft. long LED strings from HLE? 16 of them weigh around 10-15 lbs., as a guess. Should this pole be guy wired also? Should I use the 2" as suggested in the portable hole link?

I've never used the 1¼” black water pipe for anything and I really don't know the strength of it or what the wall thickness is.

Thanks,

Ron

Don’t want to hijack the thread but this question really goes along with AdamStavs question and could very well give an idea as to what he needs to build to hold the strings. Adam, take a look at the links and this may well be the answer to both of our quandries.

I plan on building this: http://www.magicchri...ble hole ii.pdf using this: http://www.christmas...m/pole-pin.html and 1¼” black water pipe for a medium mega tree between 15 and 18 ft. tall.

Does anyone think there will be any problems holding 64; 70 ct.; 23 ft. long LED strings from HLE? 16 of them weigh around 10-15 lbs., as a guess. Should this pole be guy wired also? Should I use the 2" as suggested in the portable hole link?

I've never used the 1¼” black water pipe for anything and I really don't know the strength of it or what the wall thickness is.

Thanks,

Ron

You will be just fine with this. I have used it for 3 years now with 128 incan strings with no issue. I plan on converting it to LED's and going up to 30 feet with the mega tree. This year I did use guy wires and it didn't even move in the 35mph winds.

Edited by friskybri

I plan on building this: http://www.magicchri...ble hole ii.pdf using this: http://www.christmas...m/pole-pin.html and 1¼” black water pipe for a medium mega tree between 15 and 18 ft. tall.

Thanks,

Ron

I use mega tree parts from "http://www.christmaslightshow.com/" the center pole is 1 1/4" gas pipe (not water pipe)(comes in either black or galvinized). I used 2-10' & 1-6' piece. total 26' of pole plus stand, topper, & star. Was hard to stand with only two people. Ended up being about 2-3' taller than i wanted. I cut some off for next year. Only use the four guy wires at the top and it some how servived the 50-70mph gusts we had this year. I will be adding guy wires to the middle this year after watching the center ploe deflect a foot or two in the wind. I used 50 count LED strings. 64 cool white (doubled string for 32 strings with 2" spacing) and 32 Red (doubled string for 16 with 2" spacing). the winch and pully system works great. the actual tree was only around 17' but I suspended it in the air about 10' to make it visible above my fence.

will be changing out the strings for next year. ordered 48 strings of White, Red, & Green. That makes 144 strings.

If you go watch the videos on my facebook page you'll understand what I'm talking about. Sorry I know the video isn't that great.

Edited by dknahoolewa

Exactly the info I was looking for. I'm sure it helps all involved. Oh and thanks for the 1 1/4" gas pipe (not water pipe)(comes in either black or galvinized) clarification. I was struggling to find the 11/4" anywhere here.

So, AdamStavs, this may be your answer to how to do yours. I guess, as stated above about the Flagpole, this way may be a viable alternative. Hope my post helped you, the replies certainly helped me with my decision.

Thanks for the help.

dknahoolewa, I can't get on Facebook at work, but I'll check out the vids after today.

Where would be a good place to start to find this stuff? 1 1/4" gas pipe (not water pipe)(comes in either black or galvinized)

Where would be a good place to start to find this stuff? 1 1/4" gas pipe (not water pipe)(comes in either black or galvinized)

Home Depot or Lowes. I think you're just calling it something different. I say that b/c that's what I use to call it before I got corrected. I should have known better. It the same stuff used for the natural gas lines I have in my house.

Edited by dknahoolewa

Thank you all so far for the thoughts on this. I'd hate to ruin the flag pole on my first go, so I think I'll do a practice run this summer, stringing up a few lights at a time, and testing what it does to the pole

Thank you all so far for the thoughts on this. I'd hate to ruin the flag pole on my first go, so I think I'll do a practice run this summer, stringing up a few lights at a time, and testing what it does to the pole

Though I have used my new Telescoping flag pole with some success, I learned the hard way those things have limits. I don't put more than 16 strands of lights on it now plus don't raise it past 15'. At Halloween it has been a 20' ghost as well as flying my pirate flag. For my mega-tree this season I had someone build me something called the "Portable Hole" (2'x2'x8" square concrete slab with a steel fitting in it to accommodate 2" rigid EMT). Used a 10' section of 2" rigid EMT plus inserted and bolted down a 5' section of 1 1/2" rigid EMT. Seem to work just fine even with the two days of high winds (had top and mid guide wires).

Thats what i linked to above, the portable hole. Im actually in the process of building one now.

:lol: Wow "portable hole" does your wife know your building your own?

Sorry...way to funny to pass up.

Edited by dknahoolewa
  • Like 1

Wow "portable hole" does your wife know your building your own?

Sorry...way to funny to pass up.

:wub::lol: :lol: :lol::D :D :D:P :P :P

Oops. Yep, I'd say she would be quite upset about something like that.

OK, Let me rephrase that so there's no confusion.

I am building a Monkhouse, Portable Hole II, Concrete base, for my Mega Tree.

Thanks for the laugh. I really needed that.

Ron

See, this place can be fun if we want it to be.

not to steal this thread...but has anybody seen a telescoping flagpole that is raised by hydraulics or air?

That's what I want/need to build...

Why not just use an electrical winch?

Jim - being that yours in on your house...good luck. How you get that up there to start with has me puzzled. :blink:

I put a 13' tree on my arbor this first year. It took 4-20yr olds to get it up there.

I've since graduated to a 28' tree built on the ground. Much easier.

Edited by dknahoolewa

Why not just use an electrical winch?

**Want to get away from cables and trying to raise a solid 16' mast (even with it being aluminum)..that IS the hard part...plus the steel 3D star on top**

Jim - being that yours in on your house...good luck. How you get that up there to start with has me puzzled. :blink:

**I just lift it straight up (with 4 guy wires attached) and then set it back down in the base while the mast passes thru the center of all the lights..then winch it up**

I put a 13' tree on my arbor this first year. It took 4-20yr olds to get it up there.

**todays generation is WEAK!!! I can do four times what my 29 year old son can do!! LOL

I've since graduated to a 28' tree built on the ground. Much easier.

**Wish I had the space to put mine on the ground...WITHOUT it falling over that is!! :blink:

Edited by jimswinder

Sinse you guys are bragging about your poles, I thought I should mention this. Black pipe is for gas, galvanized pipe is for water. I don't believe one is stronger than the other. I have also seen both used in the same house for gas. It would be nice to here from a plumber why black is used for gas. The price is about the same. The galvanized won't rust as fast and will be cleaner to handle. If you go to a plumbing supply business, you might be able to get 16' pipe.