Light-O-Rama Forums

First Post - Greetings and lawn care question

strungUP

Hello everyone! I caught the fever this season so I will be visiting this forum from time to time. I purchased a sample kit today and am waiting until Friday before I purchase my first Light O Rama controller. I think I understand the very basic setup and will probably be doing testing all year. I have had a static display for a few years and then one day while subject jumping on YouTube.........you know the rest!! I have had a problem with my static display every year, grass.

How do you keep the grass from growing up into your ground displays during the season without killing the grass? Scissors? (I hope not!)

Thought I would start off with an easy one! Thanks.

Guest Don Gillespie

Welcome aboard the first thing you should do is put your place up for sale, move up North to a colder climate like Canada or Alaska, we only get a little snow, so the only thing to worry about is blowing the snow off the Led lights, no more cutting grass for you. of course the down side is you have to wait until spring to get every piece of rebar, metal stake, and candy cane out of the ground, but I think it is a fair trade considering you wouldn't have to trim the grass with scissors. ;)

• Like 1

Welcome to the madness. I read your message and my first thought was that this person must be in a location where the grass actually grows in December.

then I looked as saw that you are local to me (I work in Glendale). The only thing I had on the lawn was my pixel tree and that only had the end of two pieces of unistrut sitting on the lawn, so I was not at all worried about hurting the lawn, and the lowest light on the tree were almost 2 feet off the ground, so the grass would have had to be really long to be a problem. I did not mow while the tree was up, and the kid is supposed to mow it today.

I start setting up in Nov and by then the grass in Sacramento is just about done growing but not quite.. If you limit the flat surface area you put on the grass you will wind up with only a few bad spots when you pick it all up.. It recovers by spring and all is good... if we get warmer weather, which happens from time to time, the grass gets a bit long.. but not too bad.. it hides the cords better though! ;)

Hello everyone! I caught the fever this season so I will be visiting this forum from time to time. I purchased a sample kit today and am waiting until Friday before I purchase my first Light O Rama controller. I think I understand the very basic setup and will probably be doing testing all year. I have had a static display for a few years and then one day while subject jumping on YouTube.........you know the rest!! I have had a problem with my static display every year, grass.

How do you keep the grass from growing up into your ground displays during the season without killing the grass? Scissors? (I hope not!)

Thought I would start off with an easy one! Thanks.

we start by cutting the grass as close to the ground without killing it a day or two before setup, will the cooler weather it doesn't seem to do much but usually needs a cut around the 5th of January.

we start by cutting the grass as close to the ground without killing it a day or two before setup, will the cooler weather it doesn't seem to do much but usually needs a cut around the 5th of January.

Same here. I scalp it as tight as I can. I also trim beds and bushes back....that actually assists stringing bushes. When I was a bit more South I remember actually string bushes and trees before dropping power across the lawn, than at last minute I would do my last cut and than just accept that by New Years it was a bit grown up.

Or move more North as I have. :)

You can accomplish this by using a growth retarder. Most cities do this on the hard to mow locations. I dont know the specifics for using, mixing, how it works or what they use. You can start with a local commercial lawn and garden business and see what they have to offer. If you take this on yourself experiment in an our of the way or unseen area of your yard to see what it does.

Anthony

I dormant seed after In Jan or Feb and tell the guy that sprays my yard to hold off on applying a pre emergent in March. Just do a broadcast herbicide in May and a winterizer in In late Nov.

Those are some great ideas! I guess if you just dug yourself back into your driveway and then read my post, it could have sounded a bit like I take this weather for granted. I was born and raised here so you'd be correct. Had ice in the back of my truck once, half inch thick and I had to take a video of it. I lost a foot off my static meager tree by the time I took it down and I managed to take out 3 bulbs this year with the weed eater. (Again, sorry if you just went through Sandy or something, the complaints stop here.) I guess I'll shave it down and try to keep the displays somewhat mobile. Thanks everyone.