Light-O-Rama Forums

SuperStar and CCB

Denise Brunner

OK got my CCB working in S3 after exporting from SuperStar. Is there any way I don't have to keep setting the resolution channel to 3 and have it done automaticly from SuperStar. Also how do I put in the address for the second string of the CCB controller in SuperStar ???? I have the one string working but don't see how to program the second one.

I LOVE RGB !!!

Denise

Not sure what you mean by "setting the resolution channel to 3," is that a configuration setting in the hardware utility? You should not have to change the resolution of the CCBs.

Both in SuperStar and in the Visualizer you must treat the CCBs like they were CCRs. Everything will work as long as you use the hardware utility to set the CCB controller to "dual normal" mode. In "dual normal" mode you only set one unit ID in the controller, but what the controller does is set that unit ID for the first string connnected to the controller and then use the unit ID after that one for the second string connected to the controller. In that way each string can be sequenced as if they were CCRs as far as SuperStar is concerned.

For example, if you had 2 CCB controllers and 4 strings, then you could set the two CCB controllers to unit IDs:

0A

Then the strings connected to those controllers would end up using unit IDs:

0A

0B

Brian, I will have to check if I set it to dual normal mode, but I could not even get either string to light unless I set channel 151 to 3.

Did find that I was not in dual normal mode, but tried again about not adjusting channel 151 to 3 and nothing works with the CCB's

Denise

Channel 151 is indeed the logical resolution macro channel, but you should not have to set it to get things to work.

In the hardware utility click on the "Refresh" button

Note the controllers that it found and note the unit IDs that it found for those controllers

click on the "Console"

The console screen will have 16 slide switches you can turn on and off

At the bottom of the console screen, select the unit ID of the controller you want to check

Slide some slide switches up and the first few pixels of the ribbon should come on.

Let me know what happens if you try the above

Did as you requested. channel 1 - Red led, channel 2 - Green led, channel 3 - Blue led. Went back into SuperStar and did a small sequence and tried it and no lights. Closed sequence editor and it froze. Rebooted laptop and tried the same thing and now it works...... don't know what to tell you. All day, if I didn't put channel 151 to 3 (pixels), I could not get anything to work. I will let you know if I get that again and what parameters it happens under. Still have not figured out how to get the lights to chase from string one to string 2 though. Is there a way to set SuperStar to 100 pixels????

I got the lights to chase from one string to another, but not able to draw it in SuperStar. There it shows one string on top of the other

In "CCR Mode" the green sequencing grid will always be 50 pixels in length. To get it to be longer do the following:

1) create a visualization of you display in the Visualizer

2) Save the Visualization file

3) Launch SuperStar

4) Click on the File menu and select "import visualization"

5) In the "Import Visualization" dialog box, set the sequencing grid "Max Length" to what you want, valid values are 25-200

6) Click on Ok

For example, if you had 4 CCB strings all in a row laid out in arches then you would want to set the sequencing grid "Max Length" to 200. You could then do one morph across the length of one sequencing row and see the morph travel across all the arches.

Brian,

This is exactly what I am trying to do.

I have one prop, 150 pixels long in the visualizer. When I import it in superstar and say 150 or 200 pixels, all but the first 50 are dark green boxes on the grid and 3 rows are created.

Am I doing something wrong in visualizer? I just can't quite figure it out.

Thanks,

Brandon

Try doing away with the prop so that the 3 arches are fixtures that are not a part of a prop. Currently, SuperStar figures that things that are grouped into a prop are a matrix..

Alright. I am starting to figure this out. I got it to work as I was hoping, almost.

Lets say I have an arch with a total of 120 pixels. Above it, I have an arch, again with 120 pixels.

I was hoping to be able to split the ccr on those two arches.

So, what the visualizer does, is asks you do you want a new fixture, or to use remaining pixels off of another ribbon. I choose the latter, because they are the same ribbon.

Then the visualizer takes those two "ribbons" and turns them into one fixture.

Because they are one fixture, that fixture ends up on one grid row.

How can I tell the visualizer the "start pixel number" and have them come out as two fixtures?

I am getting two rows, just that 20 and 20 extra pixels end up on one row. So I get a row with 140 and a row with 100.

Create them as separate fixtures that have the same unit ID. When you create the fixture it asks how many pixels are in it. Then after the fixture is created, double click on the fixture and in the bottom section set "Physical Starting Pixel Number" to something other than 1.

If that doesn't work for you let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

Having trouble with sequence after export.  I have 2 CCB's (so 4 strings).  I configured them as units 5 and 6.   (Should I have configured as 5 and 7?).  They were configured in dual normal mode.    I export okay.  Play the sequence in sequence editor and the lights work for a few seconds then stop with only a few on.  When I open up the channels...   I notice that first string is assigned 1-150.  The second string is assigned 161-310 (which I think should have been 151-300).  I am sensing that this is my problem, but unsure how to fix it.  Brian... if you're there... I would love some advice... you really know your stuff!  I have to unplug and replug in the controllers to reset them.  They test fine in the hardware utility.  I'm sure it's a software issue (no... a user issue!!).

Brian:

I finally go my pixel tree to work out using the Tree wizard. I could not get it to create a double strand. I was creating the tree with 50 pixels and got it to run. Even after the instructions that you gave about how to create it, I couldn't get it done. Yesterday, for some reason it worked. So I spent most of the day redoing my morphs and scenes of all my sequences as the old tree was too tall for the 12.5 tree that I'll be using duel normal on. I still don't know what I did different that before.

Again thanks for answering all my questions.

Both in SuperStar and in the Visualizer you must treat the CCBs like they were CCRs. Everything will work as long as you use the hardware utility to set the CCB controller to "dual normal" mode. In "dual normal" mode you only set one unit ID in the controller, but what the controller does is set that unit ID for the first string connnected to the controller and then use the unit ID after that one for the second string connected to the controller. In that way each string can be sequenced as if they were CCRs as far as SuperStar is concerned.

So in you case you should set one CCB controller to unit ID 5 and the other CCB controller should be set to unit ID 7. In this way the unit IDs will be used as follows:

05   first string of controller that was set to unit ID 05

06   second string of controller that was set to unit ID 05

07   first string of controller that was set to unit ID 07

08   second string of controller that was set to unit ID 07

Brian:

I was watching the tutorial on progaming CCR Controller and I was wondering for my CCP (CB100D) controller at the CCR/CCB string paramiter, they say use 1 ribbon in this box. I assume with the CB100D that I would use 2 in that box as there are 2 strings attached to the conroller.I will be setting up both my contollers this weekend.

Thanks

You always want to enter 1 for this setting. The only time you would enter 2 is if you used some wires to solder two strings together to form one long string and when you do that the controller will "pair" the lights so you still control only 50 pixels, but each pixel is a pair of lights. This is a cool feature, but one that almost nobody does.

In the most recent release of the Hardware Utility I believe the "strings" setting has been renamed to something like "nbr of end to end strings"

So, the short answer to your question is: always enter 1 for the "Strings" or "nbr of end to end strings" setting.

Thank Brian

I find it a little confusing. I guess I'll find out this weekend. One thing I didn't see in the video is at what point do you update the firmware. Before you update in the CCR/CCB (Set unit Configure/download test) or after you update unit. Then Go to the firmware and change it if needed and update again.