Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to put controllers.

Sheldon_15

My display was designed and built with the possibilty of vandalism and theft in mind. After having some metal lawn furniture stolen that was against the house a couple of years ago, I wanted to reduce the opportunity for any lights to get stolen. Everything I had this year was on the roof or physically attached to the house. I made a 4ft X 6ft box with a lid to put all my controllers in and centrally located it on the roof. Holes cut into the side of the box allowed home-made (zip cord and vampire plugs) extension cords that connected the lights and controllers to be fed into the box . The box was painted the same color as the roof so it helped camoflauge it while keeping the 8 controllers out of sight. Extension cords running to roof eave lights were run up and behind the eaves and were bundled together with one-wrap velcro and were essentially out of sight even during the day.

I use heavy cables to secure my controllers, which are as close to the elements they control as practical. I think it's 100% overkill but will at least slow someone down in the extremely rare chance they attempt to steal one of my controllers. I also have other security measures in place, so if they were hacking away at a cable I would no doubt know about it.

I use relatively few cords longer than 20' in the display, yet I decorate an area about 200' wide.

Edited by Tim Fischer

When your display grows to several channels you will place controllers as close to your display items as possible. I have 12 LOR controllers and 1 DMX controller so you just have to try to group items as close to each other as possible and make efficient use of your controllers and display items. I don't even want to go into how much cord I use on our display.

I have probably around 25-30 controllers and no security issues thankfully. I used to be real worried, but not so worried after 5 good years and no issues. For me, there is no hiding, just placing them where it makes sense to. My Dad built some nice rebar stands that I do handg them from and you can attach wire and/or locks to that if you want. I figure if someone really wants them, they can be stolen ... its up to you to decide how much of pain to make it. One year I ran some wire from each controller ... so stealing would be a pain unless you had the proper wire cutters. SOme people put non-traditional screws on the cases instead of the normal phillips. I also think painting them some bright color might be effective, since people don't want something ugly and clearly stolen. Of course your resale value on those might also go down. If I have a megatree, I place them inside it, where its snarl of wires and cords to begin with. Once it snows, its all covered and basically hidden and frozen secured. I think fake security cameras and/or some real ones are also deterrents. Also some high-voltage stuff might scare some folks off.

YOu could probably put a set of small bells on each controller ... and if someone moved it .... jingle bells !! ... and that might just be enough. I also leave on some white lights all night long, because you might as well make them do it in the light, right?!

I have probably around 25-30 controllers...

Wow... you and I started around the same time and I thought I was nuts for having 19. :) Have any videos of you show this year?

• 2 years later...

I'm sorry that I have to disagree with your thought pattern on this. I have had a dozen or more tree stands stolen over the years. The only person that would have a need for a tree stand is a fellow hunter. Thieves will steal without any remorse, that's what makes them the lowest life form there is.

Z

As close to your elements as possible.  If you have a mega-tree, put it on the pole where the light strings can plug directly into the controller; no extension cords needed (except for controller power).  Same goes for other elements like arches, pillars, etc.

I guess it depends on your yard.

My yard is small. Placing controllers in the yard....well the controllers would be overwhelming.

I use spt wire for my extensions. Purchased 1000' for $100. So cost is much cheaper than Home Depot cords. But....I don't have any cables longer than 25'. At least not AC cables.

I have all my controllers centrally located. I beleive out of site is out of mind. And I think replacing an extension cord will be easier than replacing a controller. Mentally and physically. Costs may be more for your extensions....but it is just an extension.

I would never place my controller on the ground. It would get flooded! Mine hang on steel strips you can get from Home Depot that has holes already punched it it.

I would never place my controller on the ground. It would get flooded! 

Plenty of OOPS photos out there of those who have.