Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to put controllers.

Sheldon_15

I can't speak for anyone else, but given the heartlessness of copper thieves the last thing I'm likely to do is post pictures. In fact, except for here, and only to let newbies know they'll need plenty, I no longer mention extension cords at all.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

I built a wooden stand out of 2x4s that I just screwed the controllers into and then ran my extension cords from it to the display items. However, next year, I am thinking about putting them out next to the display items in black waterproof storage bins. That way everything is nice and neat and hidden out of sight. The way it is right now, the stand is visible next to my front door and I want everything hidden next year.

And, yeah, about extension cords, I don't mention them at all. Considering the price of copper, the last thing I want is some thief in my yard taking my extension cords. I actually had that happen last year where extension cords in the display went missing (turns out the neighbor three doors down from me needed extension cords and cherry-picked them from my display. I did get them back). Of course, if someone were to steal them, they would have to take most of my display items with them (since I zip-tie the extension cord to the item) plus a good chunk of gutters and down-spots (zip-tied) along with the controllers (since I zip-tie to those too). The only way for them to do it would be to cut over 3,000 zip tie which are randomly placed throughout the entire display, which isn't worth it. ;)

Edited by pstigerfan

I also build a wooden stand from 2 x 4's and screw a controller to each side. I make them tall enough to

keep the cord ends off the ground. I then put a black storage bin, upside down, on top and set a brick (painted black)

on top. Then at the end of the season I use the above mentioned bin to store lights and stuff in.

Extension cords? what are those? Light displays don't use extension cords! ;)

tj

Edited by tjflory

When I set up my first show, it'll be my intention to place my controllers in my garage and run extension cords. I'm not necessarily in a high crime area, I just feel it would be cheaper (though a headache) to replace a few cords than controllers. Besides, if the controllers were outside, they can take the cords AND controllers. Seems like cheap insurance.

Guest wbottomley

When I set up my first show, it'll be my intention to place my controllers in my garage and run extension cords. I'm not necessarily in a high crime area, I just feel it would be cheaper (though a headache) to replace a few cords than controllers. Besides, if the controllers were outside, they can take the cords AND controllers. Seems like cheap insurance.

I have yet to hear of one person having a controller stolen.

• Like 1

I have yet to hear of one person having a controller stolen.

'Hear' being the key word. But, I haven't seen or held one of them (controllers). I grew up in NYC and grew up just being cautious.

I understand your philosophy, but its just not realistic. When you got up to multiple controllers, you would have HUGE wire bundles,

which would be very expensive and dangerous. Grab a cord and fold it over 32 times and you'll see what I mean.

I have my a/c controllers near my features and have used 1250 feet of wire on only 64 channels.

I don't secure mine, but if you search this forum, I'm sure you will find a clever and cheap solution..

tj

• Like 1

Since day one I have wrapped mine in black garbage bags and put decorative garland around them along with some bells (for noise just in case). Some are laying on the ground with a 4x under one end so water can't run up the open end of the bag. Some are on stands wrapped the same way.. they look like presents, they stay water prove and clean... works great!

As has been stated many times before, your cords you will buy to run power to your elements will exceed the cost of your controller if you use standard extension cords and locate your controllers in a garage. A 50 foot (Short for most runs from a garage) from home depot is 12.97. You will need a min of 16 cords for a total of $207.52. If your element is further away a 100 ft cord is 16.97 totaling is $271.52. A you can get a DIY controller right now is $166. Thieves will be more likely to steal your copper than your controller.

Put them in the display next to the elements. Hide them in wrapped gifts or built into the element itself. You'll save tons of money using short cords from the dollar store or connecting the element directly to the controller, then trying to protect them in a distant location.

This year I had my controllers at my elements, best decision I could have made, the wisdom and experience of the veterans on this forum put my mind at ease.

Edited by rainyoregonchristmas

Guest wbottomley

As has been stated many times before, your cords you will buy to run power to your elements will exceed the cost of your controller if you use standard extension cords and locate your controllers in a garage. A 50 foot (Short for most runs from a garage) from home depot is 12.97. You will need a min of 16 cords for a total of $207.52. If your element is further away a 100 ft cord is 16.97 totaling is $271.52. A you can get a DIY controller right now is $166. Thieves will be more likely to steal your copper than your controller.

Put them in the display next to the elements. Hide them in wrapped gifts or built into the element itself. You'll save tons of money using short cords from the dollar store or connecting the element directly to the controller, then trying to protect them in a distant location.

This year I had my controllers at my elements, best decision I could have made, the wisdom and experience of the veterans on this forum put my mind at ease.

Fantastic.

One thing a decorator told me and I stick by it today. People don't steal ugly things. If you make them as ugly as you can, they'll remain there until taken down.

I live in a quiet rural area, so I'm not necessarily worried about mine being stolen. I like the idea of putting it under a gift box, etc.., it keeps it out of plain site. At the same time, if someone really wants it, I don't know there really is any truly "safe" place to put it. If someone walks on your yard and sees all the cords, they can just follow them to where the cords all seem to come together (i.e. your controller). I agree that they'd probably have more use for the extension cords than they would for the controller anyway.

Still, even if one person follows the cords, they will still not understand "what" the controller is. I had to spend a half hour explaining to my mother in law that where "All the cords came together" was "not" a power strip. She just couldn't comprehend that it was a computerized "Switch" system. She was worried that I had all of these "things" in my display and I was gonna burn down my house because too many lights were connected to them. As I have heard before, I think the only people you would ever have to worry about are your fellow lighting minions who know what they are and what they are worth. Even then, I couldn't imagine one of us taking such advantage of a fellow lighter.

• Like 1

Still, even if one person follows the cords, they will still not understand "what" the controller is. I had to spend a half hour explaining to my mother in law that where "All the cords came together" was "not" a power strip. She just couldn't comprehend that it was a computerized "Switch" system. She was worried that I had all of these "things" in my display and I was gonna burn down my house because too many lights were connected to them. As I have heard before, I think the only people you would ever have to worry about are your fellow lighting minions who know what they are and what they are worth. Even then, I couldn't imagine one of us taking such advantage of a fellow lighter.

very good points, besides they would be better off not to take them and get hooked like all of us

I didn't have a controller stolen but I did have someone screw with one this year. I keep mine on top of a milk crate and have the entire crate and controller inside. A big black trash bag. Someone stole one of the milk crates. It's not easy to remove the bag, so someone had to cut the bag off, lift the controller, take the crate, and place the controller on the ground.

I seriously doubt that anyone actually wanted the milk crate. I'd bet that it was some kids who wanted to screw with the dispaly but not actually ruin anything. I am fortunate that they did not damage or steal anything. They did not even unplug any cords or anything..... but me thinks there are security cams in my future.

My controllers are cable locked to my trees. Someone would have to cut the trees down to get the controllers. I did have one controller this year, that I didn't have a stand for and it was simply ziptied to the tree.

That being said, I feel that I've been lucky in that no one has "messed" with my display. I'm more concerned with someone wanting to take the extension cords. I definitely don't advertise how many miles of cord that I use.

Two years ago Christmas week I had someone come in the yard and steal a concrete duck. It only weight about 80 pounds. The lights and controller were untouch. Now I have cameras and a 12ga load and ready.

Thomas