Light-O-Rama Forums

spomalley, the cat5 cable does not run alongside the power lines ( not even close). klb the Led strings do contain capacitors.

Also, the reason I lowered my intensity rate is because I can't see putting that extra 14% of power into a light string when it is not needed, and any onyone who is trying to get the timing perfect in thier sequence, how much time does in take the controller to put in the extra 14% then back down 14% to make a difference in brightness of the lights or how fast they go on or off (reaction time). I know many of you will say " no one will even notice the difference" but I do.

Edited by EARLE W. TALLEY

I’m running a little blind here since Vimeo is blocked at work. But here are a few thoughts:

Stand alone sequence on one of the controllers

Duplicate Unit-Circuit settings in a main sequence and a background sequence

Also, I fixed a flicker issue years ago by updating the firmware (to the same rev). A reset may have accomplished the same thing. But I don’t think I tried a reset.

Cat playing on the keyboard while in sequence editor?

D.T.

I Love cats! (but I can't finish a whole one).

Two different sources of power (2 phases) on the same controller caused me problems with this same kind of problem years ago.

Are both plugs plugged into the same outlet/circuit?

So what's the answer Earle? The suspense is killin me!

BTW....I see he has a snubber on the string already. So that's not it.

Edited by David Rise

OK, for those who said that a snubber was needed you were right !!! Why, the existing snubber somehow got water in it and came apart (see pic). The snubber was not sealed very well so I have to take the hit for this problem. The other solutions that were sugested are valid and should be checked if the first try does not solve the problem. I think we got a lot of interest in this project and hope this will help us all to solve our flicker problems. Can someone come up with another problem that we can see and solve? Thank you again for your input.

Earle

LOL....that never crossed my mind.

I squeezed silicone into the plug until it was oozing out (That's the military way of lubing and sealing). Water would have a really tough time getting inside.

Excellent lesson! We should keep doing stuff like this.

Maybe one of the admins can create a new forum for this?

Edited by David Rise

Woohoo! Glad you finally got it Santa!

Snubbers can go bad too. This one had a small pin hole where water got in and caused damage. It didn't take lone to solve the problem, knowing what to do with flicker, I just went out there and put another snubber on the tree, then thought this would be a good teaching tool to put on LOR. I just hope this opened some eyes that we (old f--ts) can make mistakes too, but if you come to the forums you can find help.

Earle

This came up at a LOR class in Sacramento and the solution was installing a Glade air freshener at the end of the string, which caused enough load to make fades work. Drew Hickman is a wonderful instructor, by the way.

Also used the Glade thing at the end of strobe strings to prevent random firing.

In theatre it's called a Ghost light, ghost load or dummy light when put onto a circuit for a small amount of load.

In electronics, a true "snubber" is a resistor and a capacitor in series that is put across an inductive load, like a motor or relay, to prevent reverse voltages from causing problems.

In the LOR world, a "snubber" is just the resistor without the capacitor.

Good work, Earl.

In the LOR world it seems "Ghost Load" and "Snubber" get interchanged a lot. Same thing to most here and performs the same function.. Used to as a "shunt" for the capacitance in the LED strings.

Guest Don Gillespie

the solution was installing a Glade air freshener at the end of the string, which caused enough load to make fades work.

I tried this but all my mini trees smelled like potpourri, I knew I should have used the pine tree ones. :P

I tried this but all my mini trees smelled like potpourri, I knew I should have used the pine tree ones. :P

LMAO!!!

LMAO!

Air freshener is good, but not for 60 plus strings.

Guest wbottomley

I don't know what was in mine... after turning the red led's on, it smelled like a French whore in a red-light district. :P

• Like 2

You guys are just envious because someone thought of it before you (and before me).

It was actually on the old LOR forum pages that this Glade thing popped up (and yes, there was humor then) about 3 years ago.

Some creative person was looking for a small electrical load without having to design anything.

Hence, the Glade thing (yes, he used pine scented ones).

Earle, ya got any more of these to solve?

Edited by Ken Benedict

Guest wbottomley

You guys are just envious because someone thought of it before you (and before me).

Really? I've been around since 2005 before this forum was moved to its own and current site. No envy here. Eventually, every dog gets a bone.

Sorry... gotta ask.

In this case:

What's the point in using LEDs (over incans), which are a lot more expensive, at times less dependable, just to use less power...

then have to add load to make them work properly?

I live, work and play by the KISS philosophy... What I have learned here is that adding another component is just adding

something else that scan fail.

Am I missing something here?

tj