Light-O-Rama Forums

2013 PacNW Regional CLAP Mtg

zman

Just a bump as a reminder. We are all set for May 4th. The agenda is still in flux. I have been having some pretty exciting discussions with a vendor that will play into that agenda very nicely. I will announce more as that gets firmed up.

Details to follow but Pizza Feast Friday Night May 3rd at 5pm

CLAP Saturday May 4th at 8am.

Edited by zman

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zman

• rainyoregonchristmas

• jimswinder

• magish01

• 2 weeks later...

The agenda has been finalized for C.L.A.P. 2013, and now we are looking for RSVP's. Again, this is one of the last free local meetings left in the country. We have a special announcement with Reinder's, who is sponsoring our meeting.

If there is something special from your 2012 display you would like to bring as a show & tell, that is always welcome!

We will set up the swap meet if you want to get rid of some un-needed items.

We look forward to seeing you there

2013 CLAP Agenda:

Friday May 3rd
Noon-5pm - Set up at the Foley's
5pm - ?? Pizza Meet & Greet
Farrelli's Pizza & Pool Co
4870 Yelm Hwy SE
Lacey, WA
360-493-2090

Announcing : Reinders is now a vendor for LSP and Minleon lighting products. They will be sending Conrad Zinda to participate in our meeting, and present as part of our agenda listed below. We are very appreciative that Laurie Reinders would extend this opportunity to our group.

Saturday May 4th
The Foley's
4842 Thompson Lane SE
Olympia, WA 9851

7am - Approx 5pm
· 7:00 to 8:30am - Meet/Greet/Intro
· Implementing RGB - What should you be thinking about - Lowell Fuher
· Coro Basics - Daryl Hurd
· Video shooting/editing - Mike Ziemkowski
· Fixing LEDs/Rope - Dennis Eaton
· Collapsible Mini Trees / Foldable Stick Trees - Jim Winder/ Matt Ross
· Lunch
· Arduino - What is it and what can it do for your display - Alan Thompson
· Group Buy's, Ray Wu, Co-ops, benefits etc.... Lowell Fuher/Jim Winder
· Programming RGB (Free/Paid)
o Madrix - Darren Huffty
o Nutcracker - Lowell Fuher
o LSP/Minleon - Reinders Conrad Zinda
· DIY - Powering RGB Elements - Mark Zembruski
o Sizing Power Supplies
o Powering Controller/strings
o Injecting power at both ends
o DMX/E1.31 + Power (Cat5/6)

Sponsors: (More to follow!)
Golden Sponsor - Reinders
Creative Displays Inc
Demented Elf
Seasonal Entertainment
Mclendon's Hardware
Terry's Lighted Christmas

We appreciate the sponsors who support our C.L.A.P. effort. Today we are adding 3 names to this years list:

Holiday Coro

Christmas-LED

Winklebottoms

Thank you all!

• 3 weeks later...

Not to hack the thread, but if anyone is looking to buy a few controllers, Lowell will be bringing mine to the mini. I'm asking $175 each.  They are complete with enclosure.  Some are maybe 5 years old max.  Others are 2-3 years old.  Only the older boxes have the external cat 5 jacks. I just wanted it to be easy to plug them in. Enjoy the show....

post-2906-0-57374100-1366855681_thumb.jp

post-2906-0-26561800-1366855711_thumb.jp

post-2906-0-27146700-1366855764_thumb.jp

Edited by reitan_family

Ok, so one week from now I hope to be heading North ready to have some fun making some lights go blink blink. Anyone new this year planning on coming?

There are quite a few hotel/motel options in the area

So what ones would you recommend?  I know in my town for example there are three but one I would NOT recommend.  What one would

Swapmeet

I'm bringing a few items for the swap meet this year.  I'm retiring my arch, too many channels and I'm just wanting to mix things up.  It's almost 5 feet high and 10 ft wide.  It's modular, and is designed like a radio tower with cross bracing.  This will be in my pile.  Also I have a (single) Fa La La Light Bulb prototype talking wire frame that I built for Pikadroo that I would like to part with.  I'm a few braincells short from all of the times I've hit my head on it hanging from the ceiling in the garage. I also have a few proverbial Christmas Tree stands up for grabs. 

On an unrelated note if anyone at CLAP is interested in swapping controllers (or other equipment) for my hand crafted Garden Art send me a PM and I'll send you pics of what's available.  I'm closing the chapter on that hobby for Christmas decorating and still have some great inventory cluttering my workspace.  (Think 5 foot tall praying mantis, 7.5 foot long T-rex, and some Fabulous bird baths)

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

All of the places around the Martin Way exit off I-5 are all nice and very close to pizza and the Foley's There is like 6 options, Ramada, Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, La Quinta, Super 8, Holiday Inn Express right there.

Also I have a (single) Fa La La Light Bulb prototype talking wire frame that I built for Pikadroo that I would like to part with.

Do you have pics?

Well, this thread seams to be quiet compared to last year.  I'm getting ready to start packing things in the truck for Saturday.  Last chance for any interest in the non-light hobby item exchange for light equipment.  I'm also putting some finishing touches on the Sturdy Stick Tree.  I did a change in materials due to some more than expected process costs I hope you all like the results.  See you all bright and early on Friday afternoon.

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

It may be quiet on the thread and in the forums, but there is a TON of stuff going on behind the scenes. See you Friday afternoon.

Hey all I have a walmart 2001 blow mold 3 piece nativity set I bring up if any ones interested. It good shape. Asking 75.00 for it. 

Great sessions today! Thanks to all our sponsors.

I loved showing off my sturdy stick tree to everyone.... Too bad I forgot to show my folding Christmas present prototype I also brought, don't worry, it will be there next year... because I forgot to take it with me when I left the conference....

Great Big THANKYOU to Nancy Foley, the organizers, the presenters, the sponsers, as well as all that attended. It was a great day of treatment for the CLAP.

PMK

Paul, Matt, et al,

WIthout you guys,  there is no NW CLAP. THanks for your continued support, and help. We have an awesome, awesome group, that has the spirit, and gets it. Thank you.

Mark

I'll add my thanks, also.  As a first-timer I felt I was with the 'big dogs' but everyone was freely generous with sharing their knowledge, thoughts and ideas.  I took away a notebook full of notes and with the tips given throughout the presentations have found new resources on the internet.  And thanks to Dennis' presentation (both last Saturday and from the video of a previous one) solved a problem with an X10 controller (neon 'flicker lights' wouldn't turn all the way off) and made my wife very happy.

Looking forward to future gatherings.

Ken