Light-O-Rama Forums

Has Anybody Changed Their Landscaping

jim6918

My display has actually made me keep some tall bushes in the side of our yard that I absolutely hate. I would have gotten rid of them a long time ago had I not strung 15 channels of lights (30 strings of LED's) on them and use them as a sort of piano keyboard effect and VU meter in a lot of my sequences. I just could not think of what else to do with that area if I tore out all those large bushes and didn't want to redo all the sequencing.

I am feeling better all the time about cutting down those two trees. I thought people would think I was nuts. I can see it now, a 30'Mega Tree and another 16 channel arch.

We had a huge magnolia tree in front yard jacking everything up, wife hates killing anything, but after some discussion, and telling her I wasn'tgoing to rake all those big crusty leaves up, she changed her mind...100 bucks and it was gone!

Well our flagpole was put in 10 years ago for a Mega-Tree, and flies a flag the rest of the year. But nothing too major... And when we do change things up in the yard, the display is always at the back of my mind.

Same here!

• 2 weeks later...

well i haven't changed my landscaping ( in the sense of removing something that's in the way), but i am adding something to my landscaping because of my display.

i have a 40x50 parking pad that i added next to my driveway so people can sit and enjoy the show. well i will be adding quite a few bushes around it this year. i have a small rock wall with a mound by it surrounding the pad. i'm gonna add the bushes this year for several reasons. 1. it's gonna give me more things to light up as well as putting more lights out closer the to cars. 2. you'd be surprised how many times i have to put rocks back on the wall cause people get too close. 3. and you would think with a pad big enough for 6 cars to park next to each other that people would be able to turn around with out driving into the yard. i'm hoping bushes with lights will catch their eyes a little better. also expanding it another 15 feet or so should help.

the whole time i was building and laying out the pad i was figuring out how i could add more lights and landscaping to the display.

just remember if you take out the trees then you'll think of something else to put in its place or to light up. then you've got more stuff to do, something else to build, more progamming, more lights to buy, and that means more people will come and see your display. well who am i kidding, thats a great problem to have. break out the chain saw........

Last year I had a tree service remove 2 25 year old pear trees. The ones that do not produce fruit. I hated them! Super soft wood that snapped branches everytime the wind would blow. Basically I got tired of trimming branches & pruning twice a year. Much less all the darn leaves I had to clean up every winter. The trees were over 30 foot tall and blocked the house frontage quite a bit! Glad they came up missing!! I also had the guys trim every oak tree on the property to visibly see the house from the street better. Best $$ I've spent in years!!

There were two trees in our front yard. Since the roots of the tree were coming up the surface and headed for the driveway and foundation, I was able to make the case to have them taken out. It also helped when a storm took out the neighbors tree - that tree always blocked the best views of the display.

I am feeling better all the time about cutting down those two trees. I thought people would think I was nuts.....

Really? You are comparing yourself to people on this forum to decide wether you are nuts or not? News flash... we are ALL nuts on here! :blink:

• Like 1

I'm hoping the heavy snow we got ruined our corner bush. Wife doesn't want it removed. It's gotten a little help with a couple branches broken so far. I want to put in a two tier corner flower bed with hidden surprises.

A bunch of RoundUp on the bush should help the process. Gee honey, I guess the snow killed the corner bush...

Really? You are comparing yourself to people on this forum to decide wether you are nuts or not? News flash... we are ALL nuts on here! :blink:

+1

We had a plum tree that blocked the best viewing / video angle. Last year it died. I had the hole filled and grass planted so fast the wife didn’t have to go tree shopping.

I had a huge pine tree that started to trim itself. After the second time the city came to chop up what was blocking the street I figured it was time for it to go. Now there is room for a 20' mega tree.

The first year they neighbor did comment "You took out a tree to make room for a mega tree?"

When I heard it that way it did seem kinda silly.