Light-O-Rama Forums

A Specific Question For LOR Software Developers

Guest Guest

I always buy 3rd generation I7 processors now. But... the show pc is XP on 4gb of memory.

So from a hardware point your good to go, but Im in the same boat as you as I see there will be a limitation that LOR can handle on the scale of time of DMX. Im curious if the mulitcast will be the demise of the setup over speicifc unicast addressing.

Edited by WilliamS

Guest Don Gillespie

So are you saying I would need to buy a new laptop to run this stuff? what happens if I buy a new laptop and the thing shuts down on me what would be the next step, I remember Jeff Millard saying he was having troubles with this. has this been fixed or am I wasting my time?

I'm from the school of try it and see. "Stand back I'm gonna light this thing!" I will add 20 or so more universes to that sequence tonight when my show stops and copy all that data multiple times to fill up at least 40 universes with sequencing. Assign them in the network configuration, drop it in a short show and hit play. The only way I know to test anything is to just do it and see if it works. I don't think physically hooking lights up to the controllers out there is going to make any difference on whether or not the software can output reliably that many universes, I could be wrong though. Either way give me a few hours and we will see what dropping 40 plus universes full of sequencing actually does in a show.

I see this thread has rather exploded.

Maybe, I can add, or not.

I don't know how others add the DMX for their RGBs but this is how I did it. I added a device, converted channels 1-510 to 170RGB channels and deleted the 2 extra channels. In the beginning, this happened rather quickly (I have a 3.4 GHz i7 Sandy Bridge with 16GB of RAM) and towards the end it took about 5min/DMX universe conversion (yes, I did time it, I was used to timing things in LSP, if it went over a certain amount, chances are it wasn't going to happen) 25 universes added that way, no sequencing yet. Then I started copy and pasting..... Have to completely agree with harission, lockup was a huge issue. I usually could get by with copying 30sec of 5 universes and pasting, then saving. After that S3 was done, if I tried again, it would give me the "out of memory" error. I could't even click on a command (fill, On, Off) they all gave me errors. I had to close the program and re-open the sequence (which took FOREVER!) and repeat the process. To make matters worse, sS3 would throw an "can't save the file" error at me, which meant I had to close the program and redo my sequencing....Very exciting.

Was it worth it? OMG YES!!!! This sequence is 4min long comes in at a shade under 800MB........ The sequencer choked left and right, but I didn't come back to S3 for the sequencer, I came back for the scheduler!!!! It runs flawlessly in the show. Friggin BULLETPROOF.

Just going to throw this out there. LSP converted to a 64bit program this year and.......you could have fooled me! I started on LOR 6 years ago and it was a big decision for me to switch to LSP. But they had effects that I craved. I used the best of both worlds that I know (right now its LSP and LOR. I plan on hanging my pixel panel in my office to play with this year, because I need to make sure everything can keep up with the evolution of my madness, maybe vixen.....maybe xlights....maybe RJ's conductor....I am open to anything that will work.)

Question:

S3 never was over 2GB of memory usage, is there a way to allocate up to the 4GB that I read about above? When i have resmon.exe running I could see the CPU usage on CPU0, 1, 2, 4 and 6 would spike to 100% while CPU3, 5, and 7 remained parked I assume that a 64bit version would be able to utilize the other 3 virtual CPUs? In the task manager (when you have to force quit a program, you learn to start it right away....) the overall CPU was never above 13%.(The issues I had with LSP made me do a lot more reading than I wanted to this year...)

Well the show doesnt stop for almost an hour but I started adding the universes and filling them full of data. Here is 65 universes.......

https://www.dropbox....t universes.lms

Butttttttttttttttttttttt! I only copy and pasted about 1:00 of actual sequence. I got tired of messing with it, turned into a crash fiesta! The pc I was messing with it on is running a amd phenom quad core 3.4ghz cpu, 8GB of ram, win7 64bit ultimate, 2 120 GB ssd's in raid1 for OS and 10TB worth of media storage. Its my media server/dvr and streams live tv to 6 tv's in my house. I shut everything down so that LOR was the only thing using any resources and the crash fest is as follows............

Very first copy and paste attempt of 20 seconds pasting multiple all the way to the end of the sequence, nope CRASH!

crashke.jpg

Tried just pasting once instead of multiple of 20 seconds, it did it once then on second paste it crashed.

crash2e.jpg

So went back to my 10 seconds at a time rule and made it a little over a minuet in before I got the out of memory pop up:

erroryl.jpg

Hit ok then tried to paste again and got some sub script error and notice the lines on the recent tools menu:

runtimeerrorg.jpg

Then realized I didnt save the last 5 pasts so I tried to save, no go:

saveerror.jpg

I will try and mess with it later on my fastest pc but like I said its going to be sequencing that is going to bog down your pc. I'm having a tough time working with 65 universes.

I'm from the school of try it and see. "Stand back I'm gonna light this thing!" I will add 20 or so more universes to that sequence tonight when my show stops and copy all that data multiple times to fill up at least 40 universes with sequencing. Assign them in the network configuration, drop it in a short show and hit play. The only way I know to test anything is to just do it and see if it works. I don't think physically hooking lights up to the controllers out there is going to make any difference on whether or not the software can output reliably that many universes, I could be wrong though. Either way give me a few hours and we will see what dropping 40 plus universes full of sequencing actually does in a show.

frikin do it and take video, we know there wont be more lights but to see how she acts will be nice to know!

Well the show doesnt stop for almost an hour but I started adding the universes and filling them full of data. Here is 65 universes.......

https://www.dropbox....t universes.lms

Butttttttttttttttttttttt! I only copy and pasted about 1:00 of actual sequence. I got tired of messing with it, turned into a crash fiesta! The pc I was messing with it on is running a amd phenom quad core 3.4ghz cpu, 8GB of ram, win7 64bit ultimate, 2 120 GB ssd's in raid1 for OS and 10TB worth of media storage. Its my media server/dvr and streams live tv to 6 tv's in my house. I shut everything down so that LOR was the only thing using any resources and the crash fest is as follows............

Very first copy and paste attempt of 20 seconds pasting multiple all the way to the end of the sequence, nope CRASH!

I will try and mess with it later on my fastest pc but like I said its going to be sequencing that is going to bog down your pc. I'm having a tough time working with 65 universes.

Anytime I tried to paste to end a clipboard over 10 meg it will fail. Didnt matter the content 10 megs were the paste to end demise of my sequencer.

Edited by WilliamS

I had a feeling somebody was going to ask me to do that, figures it was you! :P You do know its cold out there right?

Oh well give me a few and I will try it out. Show stops in 5 minuets and then I will play with it.

I had a feeling somebody was going to ask me to do that, figures it was you! :P You do know its cold out there right?

Oh well give me a few and I will try it out. Show stops in 5 minuets and then I will play with it.

Would you expect any less. I expect video in the AM! 40 full universes

AM? What you talking about I'm on vacation I'll have video up in an hour lol unless you want 40 universes of actual lights up tonight then your coming over and putting the lights up.

AM? What you talking about I'm on vacation I'll have video up in an hour lol unless you want 40 universes of actual lights up tonight then your coming over and putting the lights up.

Im on the way.

This video should help the process for William along. At least see if the sequencer can handle it. You sould play it from the sequencer as it will pose the highest draw on the overall system.

* edit Sorry William for derailing the thread. Ill take the heat.

Edited by WilliamS

Guest wbottomley

In my plans for pixel conversion next year, it appears that I will have between 45-60 DMX Universes of sACN and about 500-600 LOR channels. Will the software handle that much data output in a sequence at least four minutes long?

With everyone's help, my initial question was answered. No is the word on the sequencer.

Took 36 second to load that monster, took 6 seconds to start on first start button push. This is on my second pc same processor 3770k Intel Sandy bridge 3rd gen and 8 gigs of ram.

New%20Bitmap%20Image%20%282%29.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/de1fnznd1jctp51/New%20Bitmap%20Image%20%282%29.jpg

Edited by WilliamS

C'mon now.....

No is so negative!

I wouldn't say no, just, "a delicate" undertaking.

Depending on what u what to do and are willing to put up with I would say its possible now. You can always sequence in parts, say you create a 5 universe sequence with all the fixings, then sequence another 5, etc.... Then when you are done, you slowly copy and paste to your master sequence with everything in it. You will definitely be able to sequence it faster that way (with the current state of the program). I say this from experience. I was actually disappointed I didn't hit 1GB...

Like you said the issue is the sequencer, you get it sequenced, I am pretty sure the scheduler will run it.

Guest wbottomley

C'mon now.....

No is so negative!

I wouldn't say no, just, "a delicate" undertaking.

If I'm spending the money on converting six of those trees, then I want something that will work and not baby around. I've had LSP for several years. But, it had more bugs than my outdoor killer did. LOL

The more I keep researching on this conversion, I realize that it's becoming a big headache. That's one thing I don't want. Those cheap mini lights caused enough of that.

• Like 1

Lol! I still have a LSP headache! So what would you use?

Will vixen handle what you/we want!?

I don't think any software is going catch up to the more than exponential logical channel growth.

Last year I had 312, this year 12k....

Now next year???? My professional LSP says the max is some weird number like 36398 Channels (good luck with that) so really, I could put up 2 more pixel arrays? Or make the current one denser?

Don't know......

Haven't checked, has a LOR dude/dudette chimed in?