Light-O-Rama Forums

A Specific Question For LOR Software Developers

Guest Guest

Guest wbottomley

In my plans for pixel conversion next year, it appears that I will have between 45-60 DMX Universes of sACN and about 500-600 LOR channels. Will the software handle that much data output in a sequence at least four minutes long?

I second that! I am at 30 universes but only 200 Regular LOR channels and it still chugs along! My wife even said: we need another pixel screen!

Best Christmas Present ever!

I sequenced and effectively used 18 universes of pixels in my display this year plus 96 LOR channels with no real problems during show playback. I did run into the same issue with memory running out on the show pc and needing to reboot nightly but that is a problem others are seeing without even running any DMX so I dont think that is related to the high channel count. I have 28 universes set up in the LOR network config and all 28 assigned to controllers running outside right now but like I said above I only hooked lights to 18 universes and playback was smooth.

Now sequencing is a whole other issue. My sequencing pc locked up a lot this year. Key things that would lock it up every time was copying and pasting 15+ universes longer than 45 seconds. It just wouldnt do it. I ended up making myself a rule of thumb that if I wanted to copy that many channels and paste them into another sequence I never selected more than 10 seconds at a time to copy. SAVE OFTEN!

Saves take longer but thats to be expected as well.

If you want to see how your pc will hold up to 18 universes sequencing then feel free to load up one of mine and test it out. I dont foresee any problems with output but it's the sequencing thats going to be the most demanding on your pc.

give it a try:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhg9ojgqsd2fj5r/remix%202012%20edited.lms

• Like 1

Great job harrison0550, that was a really good mix!

But man is the sequence sluggish, took nearly 8 seconds to start playing once I hit start.

And I have a 6 core processor with 16gb of RAM and 1 gb video card

I think you may have just scared me away from RGB, lol

Great job harrison0550, that was a really good mix!

But man is the sequence sluggish, took nearly 8 seconds to start playing once I hit start.

And I have a 6 core processor with 16gb of RAM and 1 gb video card

I think you may have just scared me away from RGB, lol

Thanks! dont be scared your pc loaded it perfectly.

8 seconds is about how long it takes to load on my sequencing pc as well. I dont run though show off that pc though. The show pc is an i3 with 4GB of ram which is about half as powerful as my sequencing pc. It takes even longer to open the sequence editor on the show pc but during the show it loads instantly. Thats what makes me think if you can load the sequence editor in 20-40 seconds it will play back instantly in your show.

Took about 3 minutes to load on my computer. It seemed like 3 days though. ;)

Might wanna upgrade that pc if you want to dive into a bunch of pixels. :)

• Like 1

Guest wbottomley

I'll check out that sequence. Since you're having problems with the sequencer, I might have to do one of three things. 1)Use LOR with Madrix, 2)Switch everything over to DMX and use the HLS sequencer, or 3) same as two but with a different software: Light Factory. I might need to invest some time in Vixen as well.

My concern is a program handling that much data. I can get a PC to handle it, but what about the software?

Andy sent me this monster on Christmas Eve, looking at it still is magic to me. I have the i7 8core 3770k 16 gigs of ram and it takes some time to load it up. It runs smooth on my PC, but somehow with all of Andys univereses and I have 8 running they have no overlapping channels so no lights played on my house. Its like he knew my setup and avoided anything I did.

Great show, great song, just great all around. Still cant figure out the single pixel intensity changes without a few hours of setup.

Great work all around!

On a side note, I do believe there is a limitation of the software of how much memory it can allocate. As when pasting large clipboards of a certain size, or multiple it will cause the sequencer to fail and close.

I ran 12 universes this season. On the show computer, things ran perfectly, no lag, no lockups, couldn't have asked for a better season with so much new stuff. Many sequences larger than 100 meg, a couple right at 200 meg. Show computer is an I7 with 4 gig ram running windows 7. The only other things running on that computer was MIIP and an anti virus software.

Sequence computer was similar I7, 8 gigs ram running windows 7. While sequencing some sequences took about 15-25 seconds to load and save. I learned to save fairly often. My only dilemma was LOR not responding, mostly when I did a lot of scrolling through large amount of RGB channels. Learned not to do that especially if I had been sequencing for a while.

A lot of my finishing sequencing was done at work, hope the boss doesn't read this. I mention this because on my work computer I am running a lot of other memory hog software. S3 did as well as any other software I use. In my sequences while sequencing I had many more channels than needed, at least 20 universes.

This coming year I plan on having 24-30 universes and plan on using S3 and don't expect any problems.

I guess I'm a bit concerned with how LOR 3.* works with laptops also. I was planning on replacing my primary PC with a laptop, but after reading how much trouble Jeff Millard had with not one, but FOUR different machines, I'm really having second thoughts. If the pixel world is leaving LOR in it's dust, and the PC world is leaving desktop models in IT'S dust, that has me kind of worried that maybe I'm riding a sinking ship and just don't know it yet. I guess a little reassurance would be a good thing.

My suspicision is that S3 is not a multithreaded application and 32 bit, so I would think the faster a single core is the better. I would think a fast dual core would be good. Also my assumption is that all the memory it can address is 4gb on a 64bit OS. Based ont this, I would think a fast dual core CPU matched up with 8gb of RAM and a SSD drive and this is about all it can use. You will have better luck probably getting a screaming fast CPU in a desktop but will pay dearly for it in a laptop.

Guest wbottomley

My suspicision is that S3 is not a multithreaded application and 32 bit, so I would think the faster a single core is the better. I would think a fast dual core would be good. Also my assumption is that all the memory it can address is 4gb on a 64bit OS. Based ont this, I would think a fast dual core CPU matched up with 8gb of RAM and a SSD drive and this is about all it can use. You will have better luck probably getting a screaming fast CPU in a desktop but will pay dearly for it in a laptop.

64bit PC's can address more than 4gb of memory. Up to 32gb in some cases. 3.25gb for 32bit PC's.

As far as laptops, ever heard of an overclocked laptop? If not, check this one out.

The 64bit OS can address more than 4gb. I think the S3 application (32 bit) can only address 4gb of the total when run on a 64bit OS. There is probably a point real soon that LOR will have to look at a 64bit version on their application the way things are going.

• Like 1

William I think the laptops largest issue is the CPU. They use the older core designs so it gets tricky to what you actually have. You can get the i5's and i7's in laptops which will get you the power you need. Memory can be an issue as well, but with a high end laptop thats not a huge issue either. What are the specs or the model number. There are 3 gens of the intel core processors, and that will make a huge difference in terms of muscle to run the show. As well it doesnt take as much power when your running the show using scheduler vs running the show out of sequencer.