Light-O-Rama Forums

Vandals finally hit

Phild

Greetings all.... I Like Max-Paul's idea, the hardwire loop would work great,  I have an addition to that, (if you don't mind Max).

Using the say #1&2 wires as the setup, what you would need is a cat5 female and male connector, on the last controler in the chain, this would do as max says a "breakout of the wires on 1 & 2, here you would connect them together (1 & 2), and NOT let them go into the connector on the last box, at the director or PC end, again, another breakout cable (both cables can be short, say 6 inches or so) except this cable 1 & 2 become the wires to a simple low voltage relay, that drives a siren or buzzer (whatever will make a noise to alert you). the key here is that the relay MUST be what is called a "continuous duty" (can stay latched 24/7 the busser or siren is wired to the N.C. (nomally closed) contacts on the relay, this will keep the buzzer quite UNTIL the loop is broken .

the 1 & 2 wires complete the circuit to the relay's coil, NOT the buzzer, the buzzer's circuit is separate, a whopping siren from radio shack or something would even wake me.......

I would be happy to do a pictorial on doing this, as it has been a fear of mine also.

In fact, I will simply follow this thread (at the top right of the page), and when I do the special connectors and the relay thing, I'll post photo's here.....

Oh, BTW, the reason for the stubby cable is so it can be inserted wherever as needed, rather than cutting up a cable, then trying to remember which one is which.

Greg

Sorry to here the vandals struck, I put 4 of these drive way motion sensors out Christmas and Halloween, they alerted me anytime someone approched inside boundries I had them set at they worked great, I still might get a camera also. I got these off Amazon but several places carry them. http://chamberlain.com/ccv2/pages/productfamily.aspx?famid=92.

BTW, I DO like dgrant's 

"1.5M volt Tesla Coil" hook up, funny as heck.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke with Max-Paul in the phone the other day, about the "alarm" (See above).

I've come up with a kind of a "kit" for it, will do some pic's of the unit, this weekend.

In a nutshell, you plug your PC (or director's 485 cable into this unit, it's second jack then goes to the first controller in the string, you daisy-chain to the last controller (like normal) AT the last controller, there is a short "add-in" cable that makes the loop, you plug it into the last controller, and the 485 cable into it.

The Alarm box has it's own power supply, so even if you power down your PC at night (or the controllers), the alarm will STILL be functional, anyone messing with the controllers, will trigger the alarm box (it has both NC and NO outputs) so you can have it sound an actual alarm or siren, or turn spotlights on, or even "dgrants" Tesla coil idea, LOL.

Will post the photo's in a couple of days.

Greg Manning

• Like 1

Sorry to here the vandals struck, I put 4 of these drive way motion sensors out Christmas and Halloween, they alerted me anytime someone approched inside boundries I had them set at they worked great, I still might get a camera also. I got these off Amazon but several places carry them. http://chamberlain.com/ccv2/pages/productfamily.aspx?famid=92.

You can a similar alarm from Harbor Freight.  I use one in a cooler that I set out for donations.  Lets me know when someone opens the lid.

http://www.harborfreight.com/household/security/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html

Posted too quick.  I subsituted the bin for a red coleman cooler.  Its cable locked to my wagon and mailbox post

Edited by Dave Batzdorf

• 2 weeks later...

Fella's I dont mean to toss a wrench into the works but am concurned also. I use "Light Linkers" and this could be a challenge fo me. (i vote or a software controller polling utility w/S3 and a addressable relay output controller) next to my RS435 dongle.

• 4 weeks later...

I think quite a few people are using ELL's (Easy LL) so the software option that "plasmadrive" was talking about would be Great for you guys, I've built a demo version of a hardware one (since I'm a hardwire guy) and so far (even though I'm still waiting for lights), the demo is working fine.

Once I refine it, I'll post the details here.

Greg

• The topic was locked