Light-O-Rama Forums

making your own window frames

Gone LED

I made some window frames this year out of 1x2 pressure treated lumber. Used a dado cut in back (3/4" wide, 1/2" deep) and drilled holes in channel every 1 1/4 inches. I strung each frame with with 3 strings of lights (red, green, white - each with 4" spacing). They look great on the windows and give me all sorts of fun sequencing options.

Check out the video - I used the windows for the drum part of Little Drummer Boy.

I took some pics today of the finished product. I wanted to design something that created a very clean look in each window and gave me the option of multiple colors. I also did not want to break the bank because I move every couple of years (no need to spend a ton on something I can't use after the move). I started with 1x2 inch pressure treated lumber and ripped that in half (the 1x1 pieces are too warped, but the 1x2 are generally straight). The first pic shows what the frame looks like in the window. I measured the frame slightly small, planning on keeping it tight with shims. I also wanted to create some room under the bottom for cords, and allow for any warping.

post-11174-0-21316700-1356410036_thumb.j

Here is a view from the back, with the three strings in the dado channel:

post-11174-0-32518900-1356410531_thumb.j

Here is a pic of what the lights look like poking out of the holes. I used M5's and 5 mm, simply because I had them (white from a big box) or they were the cheapest (great red and green M5 sale at Christmas-LEDS.com). I find the smaller sizes work great - they are bright enough to see from across the street, and the size makes drilling holes easier. I only used 3 colors, but when you have the red and green on together, they look orange. The video does not do the colors justice; they are very crisp in person. Even though they look like they poke out at different angles, you can't tell from across the street.

post-11174-0-09277500-1356410584_thumb.j

To get the clean look, I spray painted the frames white to make the colors stand out more. I used 16 foot light strings, so I had extra lights at the end. I bought some PVC (1 1/2" I think) and cut pieces to fit on the inside of the bottom frame. I notched each end with a dremel cutting wheel so the PVC could snap snugly in place. Using a guide wire, I pulled the "extra" lights into the PVC and then snapped it in place. Works perfect - white PVC blends in and the extra lights are not visible. You can also see the braces I used in this picture - simply a corner brace from hardware store.

post-11174-0-79506900-1356410650_thumb.j

One last pic that shows bottom of frame and plugs coming out:

post-11174-0-55299500-1356410712_thumb.j

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Edited by Gone LED

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work.

I like the idea of shimming the light frame into the window frame.

I've just moved to a house with vinyl siding from a house with wood siding.

It's been a challenge to find ways to attached lights to the window frames.

hey gone led,

just a suggestion. i did something very similar on my display but i used red green and blue leds. i twist tied them together and attached them to a pvc frame.

something cool you can try it to take 1 of your frames and replace the white leds with blue. then go into the sequence editor and create an rgb channel. then you can tell the software to blend and fade the colors as if it was a controllable rgb string. when your really close you can't see much of a difference in the colors but when it gets dark and if your not right on it it can look really cool.

its really cool to tell the seq editor to start as blue then fade to pink then to green then to purple as the songs changes. can really set the mood with certain songs.

you won't be able to get the millions of different colors. just because it's not a concentrated rgb with the leds right next to each other. you will be able to get some really cool colors out of it.

i've done it for a couple of years with the strings just tied together and its a cool and cheap way to get some really neat effects.

try i with 1 frame and you might find lots more colors to play with.

best of luck. any questions let me know. glad to help.

if i can ever figure out how to post pics maybe i can show you how i did it.

hey gone led,

just a suggestion. i did something very similar on my display but i used red green and blue leds. i twist tied them together and attached them to a pvc frame.

something cool you can try it to take 1 of your frames and replace the white leds with blue. then go into the sequence editor and create an rgb channel. then you can tell the software to blend and fade the colors as if it was a controllable rgb string. when your really close you can't see much of a difference in the colors but when it gets dark and if your not right on it it can look really cool.

its really cool to tell the seq editor to start as blue then fade to pink then to green then to purple as the songs changes. can really set the mood with certain songs.

you won't be able to get the millions of different colors. just because it's not a concentrated rgb with the leds right next to each other. you will be able to get some really cool colors out of it.

i've done it for a couple of years with the strings just tied together and its a cool and cheap way to get some really neat effects.

try i with 1 frame and you might find lots more colors to play with.

best of luck. any questions let me know. glad to help.

if i can ever figure out how to post pics maybe i can show you how i did it.

Great idea. I'm going to try this for sure.

I have stucco windows with the styrofoam accents around them. The windows are recessed so I have like window boxes... I used PVC pipe for my windows. I put RGB dumb strips around them and broke them up so I could control each side of the frame. I also made the a bit larger then the window opening on top so when I put them in there they would flex and push out to the sides for holding. This created an arch at the top which followed my window shape.

hey tony,

if you have any questions let me know. i'll help out any way i can.

i used my strings and tied them to pvc pipe and made a mickey (the three circles) and put it on my roof.

got some neat effects and only used 3 channels in my controller.

i posted a few pics so you can get an idea i how i did it.

i used 3 strings of red, green and blue. 3 sets of lights are alot cheaper and rgb strings or dumb strips.

look at the last pic and you can see how big the mickey is. i the large circle is 2 10" either 1/2" or 3/4" pvc.

http://s1298.beta.photobucket.com/user/kellyjett/library/?view=media#/user/kellyjett/library/?http%3A//s1298.beta.photobucket.com/user/kellyjett/library/?&_suid=135725071581506547968510341182

hope it helps

The pictures are great, thanks. Are these what you guys call superstrings or is a superstring just different colors wrapped together without regard to putting the bulbs together?

It seems like this would be the ideal way to combine colors whether you are going to use the strings for roof lines, windows, etc. I'd think simply switching between colors must look a bit smoother also.

I have stucco windows with the styrofoam accents around them. The windows are recessed so I have like window boxes... I used PVC pipe for my windows. I put RGB dumb strips around them and broke them up so I could control each side of the frame. I also made the a bit larger then the window opening on top so when I put them in there they would flex and push out to the sides for holding. This created an arch at the top which followed my window shape.

I had my windows redone this year with this exact set up, all stucco, surrounded by foam. The problem is they are not recessed. I still have not figured out a solution for attaching any lights for around my windows.

I had my windows redone this year with this exact set up, all stucco, surrounded by foam. The problem is they are not recessed. I still have not figured out a solution for attaching any lights for around my windows.

I think someone mentioned in another thread they used 3M cord connectors to zip tie a lightweight PVC frame with strings to a window frame. It even worked on "rough" surfaces like stucco.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/25243-how-do-you-hang-or-attach-the-lights/page__hl__+brick%20+pvc#entry236868

Post #16

Edited by TonyD

thanks tony,

just remember you can put any colors together that you want but if you can set-up your strings as if it was an rgb then you can make your strings any color you want. full 100% red green and blue makes white. so the possiblities are endless. it also gives you the ability to fade from 1 color to another. it takes a little getting used to how the software fades and does effects but once you learn a few shortcuts there are alot of neat things you can do.

i don't know if they are called superstrings (that term is new to me). it would definately be an easy way to trim out your roof or windows or really around anything. the good thing is if you can get strings that have the bulbs spaced together the same you could really use these anywhere. it would also help with hanging them. you would only need to clip them every few blubs and have endless options as far as colors and effects.

you could really have alot of your house trimmed out and change the house according to the mood of each song.

i have found out that the led lights that work the best are the 5mm. they seem to work the best because you don't have the cover getting in the way of the colors blending together.

you could also do it with incandescents as well. the logic is the same and i haven't tried it with incan but i'm sure it would work.

it takes a little time to twist tie the blubs together but the really good thing is when you pack up at the end of the season then you can just leave the 3 strings together. it will save you alot of time next year if you know that you can trim things out quickly without having to assemble the strings again.

you could even zip tie the strings together. it works but i would rather use twist ties cause they don't weaken like zip ties can.