Light-O-Rama Forums

cheaper RGB light strips

topgia

bought several 5050 dumb strips from ebay,and two of them have problems do to rain

I purchased and used 7 of these dumb strips from ebay this season and with rain, ice and snow, all 7 strips are still working fine. I suppose the manufacturer, elements and the way they are mounted can make a difference to the outcome of the season.

For this reason is why I won't spend the higher costs on smart strips at this time. Maybe later as the product gets better in design for our use (Christmas displays).

So since the dumb strips are holding up well for me and fit my needs, I plan to stick with them for several more seasons.

Edited by Santas Helper

@Max - not sure if you mean todo it or if it just how you come across but your posts don't come off as helpful, rather they come off more as you being an arse. Yes you make valid points but when you are dealing with text on forums there is no way to judge personality and when a person feels attacked they are not going to read/listen to what you are actually saying

@Top - that strand is the same strand I linked for you.... Compared to the CCR it is the same strand but like pointed out by others it is just the strand and doesn't have everything. Here is a post on these forums showing those strands at work:

Keep in mind while these lights might be the cheaper route you will have a bigger learning curve working with them

• Like 1

Learning curve, and a lot of DIY.

But if you have the time and the skills....

Ray also has protocol decoders for 16 dollars that convert to DMX.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Mini-protocol-Decoder-DMX-to-WS2801-512-dmx-address-decoded/701799_440556828.html

A good informational video :

https://sites.google.com/site/njstreetchristmas/Home/how-to-1/protocol-converters

Good grief, with dumb strips, there is no more learning curves than with regular light strands. KIS

• Like 1

Just about this whole thread.

?????

The very 1st post Topgia asked if the strips on Ebay were like the CCR. Granted the strips that were linked were not the Smart RGB strips needed to simulate the CCR, but it doesn't make this entire thread about Dumb Strips (unless you are implying the concept of strips are dumb and therefore stating that all strips are dumb including the CCR). If you go back and look at every link since the first as well as the video that he posted, everything else has been a discussion about smart rgb strips.

Essentially what Topgia is asking throughout this thread is what is a comparable alternative to the CCR... and I am assuming (we know what happens when you assume) is trying to justify in his mind if it is worth it to spend the $250 a strand for the CCR or if going the way of Smart strip with DMX is a better solution for him.

I

Everyone just relax. In the coming weeks and months there will be a lot of RBG data to come out. The few of us who jumped onto the bandwagon, some head first will be sharing all of it soon. Just trying to clean it up to make it easy on everyone.