Light-O-Rama Forums

I would love to see this

bdeditch

I for one don't mind sharing the knowledge with anyone that ask but having said that what I won't do is babysit someone that decides to take up this hobby. It is everything I can do to plan, build, and sequence what I have nevertheless do it for someone else who won't invest the time.

Some pretty shocking attitudes.. never wudda guessed it..

I have no trouble telling people what it entails, what it costs or the commitment involved.

I have no trouble helping newbies, both local and distant.. the local ones are the people I'd call to help me put up or take down my props (for repairs, thank you again Brian and' Sal!!) .. Plus, I see it as a Christmas gift to them to help get their own bit of magic going for their family.

But being mum, aloof, closelipped or even mean about it.. (shakin' head), that's jus' not right. :angry:

Edited by TJ Hvasta

Personally, I tend to be very quiet about how many miles of extension cord are used. I have no interest in someone seeing $ for copper theft.

• Like 1

I personally do not want more people doing this. I tell them it's computer controlled and I program it, and that's it. Too many others doing it wil take away the shock factor of my display.

I just told a person that just couldn't grasp it's computer controlled via an MP3 Director on an SD Card and ended up telling them it's like a Mr. Christmas on steroids, :P

But it doesn't bother me if more folks were into the hobby, just think the more folks that do this and buy controllers, i.e. supply and demand, could actually have the cost of controllers and other aspects of this hobby go down in what we pay for this stuff.

But that's just me..... ;)

If I have to worry about some stealing my lights, cords or controllers, I might as well shut it down for ever. If they want anything, they are going to take it. But I am not going to lose sleep over it. Its a hobby, not a job.

If I have to worry about some stealing my lights, cords or controllers, I might as well shut it down for ever. If they want anything, they are going to take it. But I am not going to lose sleep over it. Its a hobby, not a job.

QFT, that is the way I feel about it. But in my case I sorta have a "security" system, it is called nosey neighbors. There isn't anything that goes on there that we don't hear about. Also if they see someone there that isn't us and not wearing a FeDex/UPS uniform then they will call the cops (and they are two blocks away). May also have to do with living next to a funeral home, they might assume we would just throw the dead bodies over the fence.

I agree and neither am I going to lose sleep over it, but I do take precautions when setting up my display, if someone wants to steal something they're gonna have to work their @$$ off to take it, along with the rest of the display since everything is zip tied, wired or tied together in some way, along with cords and cables screwed down with plastic 1/4" cable clamps or behind areas that require a special screwdriver to remove.

I don't lose sleep over it but when I wake up I usually find myself scanning the yard to make sure all the containers are still there that contain my CCR controllers.

• Like 1

I don't have any issues discussing or posting pictures of my display or controllers. But I'll never post pictures or tell someone that I have 6.5 miles of extension cords laying around....LOL

How many lights do I have....most theives are too stupid to associate lights with copper wire. But mention extension cords and the cords will go bu...bye.

I agree and neither am I going to lose sleep over it, but I do take precautions when setting up my display, if someone wants to steal something they're gonna have to work their @$$ off to take it, along with the rest of the display since everything is zip tied, wired or tied together in some way, along with cords and cables screwed down with plastic 1/4" cable clamps or behind areas that require a special screwdriver to remove.

My controllers are in metal boxes and then a chain, that there are attached to, is welded together. I have to use bolt cutters to get them off.

As far as the steeling. Yes no need to loose sleep over the possibility of a thief. But at the same time, no need to TMI and entice someone to steel your stuff. Give them the bare minimum of info. If they are really interested they will ask for more info. Otherwise they will just say neat and walk away. In other words get to know them some before getting down to the nuts a bolts of the operation. I would mentor someone even if it means that I might loose the little traffic I have now (live about 5 miles out of town on a dead end street). But then too, I suspect that two show can survive in this town, even if they have to drive out a few miles to see it. The other show and I would be like two spices. Each with their own flavor.

I suggest to cut her hands off and deny any possibility of disability.

Did you read her rap sheet? And now she is selling stolen Christmas decorations in her shop. I guess she has tamed down a little bit.

I have no problem handing out a flyer or business card:

What you see

Is a time intensive

Labor of Love

From lots of

Blood, Sweat and Tears.

- XX,XXX of lights

* If interested, I'll be happy to speak with you about the more technical details of this endeavor.

forums.lightorama.com

No more information than that is truly needed. You are not giving out any personal information while providing information which is to the point and can guide them if they wish to pursue a show of their own.

Hey,

I just noticed I don't have any warning points. I don't even know what that means. Does anyone know who has the most?

Charles