Light-O-Rama Forums

16 Channel Newbie

DrByte

Hello all! I am new to LOR but I have been doing light/sound shows for years in the music business. I had an 8 channel LSI controller with 2 four channel dimmer packs I started with a few years ago and moved it into the Christmas light world about 5 years ago. Just never enough channels. Finally ordered first PC16 a couple of weeks ago. Had already installed most of my lighting at that time. Rec'd the 16 cahnnel LOR in 4 days (surprised for this time of year). Got it assembled (pc already soldered) in one evening and up and running that same evening. It is magnificent to finally have 16 channels!! I will order another one or two shortly so I'll have 32 or more for next year (by Halloween I hope). It has been a very simple process to get it all running. Sequencing the songs is not hard, just takes time. I have about 2 hours in each sequence and have sequenced about 12 songs thus far. Anyone wishing to trade seqs just let me know. Anyone putting off ordering, ORDER NOW!! you won't regret it. I now have about 5000 lights up and running and lots of people stopping by to see them. Lot's of ooo's and ahhh's for even such a small simple show!! I also made two mini-trees, one from a wire-frame tripod and one from 1/2" hardware cloth rolled into a cone shape. They work great, 200 lights on the small cone and 300 on the tridpod! Don't hesitate to order and dive right in! I also have about half LED and half incan. All my LEDs come from the big box stores (read 'cheap') and they all fade-shimmer-twinkle with no problems, They just have to be 'ON' long enough (over 1 second or so) for the effect to show. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents worth on getting into this LOR-Christmas Light hobby/obsession!

DrByte from WV

In my first post I miss-typed LSI for NSI. It was a great system and has now been purchased by Leviton. It uses 'Multi-Plex' protocol which is a subset/substandard of DMX I believe. Has anyone here ran into this protocol? I know that they (Leviton) has a 'Multi-Plex' to DMX converter...hmmm.... maybe I can add my 8 channels to LOR also!