Light-O-Rama Forums

Memory Leak still in 3.9

zman

There is another thread related to this but it was not indicated what version of software. So I downloaded 3.9 late last week because LOR was locking up and not starting the show.

Problem is, this requires a complete shutdown, power off. Rebooting has yielded the LOR Tray failing to launch properly and still being non-responsive.

I ran fine all weekend but just tonight had this happen again.

P.S. yes I am using compressed sequences.

Edited by zman

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tim Fischer

• zman

• LOR Staff

• LightORamaDan

Did you happen to note any unusual log messages? I experienced something like that about a week and a half ago, was hoping the upgrade (I'm using 3.5.2) fixed it. Haven't seen it since, although I'm still having my 'phantom mouse' issues documented elsewhere...

No. I always have the Status window open as well during the show. I did dump the LOR tray over the weekend to do some work on the display, so that work around does not seem to "work".

LOR any comment on this. I dumped the tray last night, and attempted to re-launch the tray just now and LOR locked up again causing a shutdown and power on for the computer. This is getting frustrating.

I can't figure out what you are saying the problem is. DId you upgrade to 3.9, or at least to 3.6.2?

After you upgraded you can't start the control panel?

Or,do you not want to install the new stuff because it means a reboot?

Hi guys,

I'm on version 3.9 and I agree there seems to be some sort if memory leak (or issue). Its not as pronounced as in the previous version.

It seems to be related to compressed sequences and long running shows.

at 10 songs I seem to get a unable to allocate table memory 5 songs or less running multiple mini shows seems to keep in under control.

---

5:26:02 PM: Loading compressed sequence: C:\Users\michael\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Musicbox.lms.lcs

5:26:02 PM: Cannot load compressed sequence file for C:\Users\michael\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Musicbox.lms: Cannot allocate memory for event table

5:26:02 PM: Loading sequence: C:\Users\michael\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Musicbox.lms

5:28:15 PM: Exporting compressed sequence for C:\Users\michael\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Musicbox.lms

5:28:42 PM: Starting Musical: C:\Users\michael\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Musicbox.lms

5:28:51 PM: Ending Musical: C:\Users\michael\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Musicbox.lms

---

On the last line it bombs and shuts down the player (disabled)

Very Strange!

M.

Sorry, I should have provided more info, but I was in a hurry to post. I have upgraded to 3.9 because I had the same problem with 3.8, only as Mikeosf describes, it does not happen as often.

I too have a long show. It has 44 sequences in the show and repeats all night. The length of the show is approx 1.5 hours. I have 602 channels, and use compressed sequences.

The show will just not start on schedule, then when you try to do anything, you get the "No Response" in the UI header. Killing and re-starting LOR does not work. I have had reboots where the tray when re-launching again hangs. The only way I know I can get the show to start is to shut down the computer completely, then do a power on.

After the show, I have dumped the tray and re-launched, as suggested in another thread, sometimes this work, sometimes it doesn't but it is now hanging on a regular basis again with 3.9

In my Status window, I do not even get the "Cannot allocate Memory" startment, I get nothing that tells me there is a problem, until either the show does not kick off, or at times I will even try to move the Status Window on my computer, because if LOR has hung, even moving the Status Window results in the "No Response" error.

It has not locked up in the middle of a show. It always completes for the night and hangs somewhere between Shutdown and Show Start the next night.

No I do not. I have changed it just now for tonight. Can you explain the impact of this option and how it could be affecting LOR to lock up? Thanks

You should see better performance between sequences, since you are now loading them all up front (when you start the Show Player/Monitor). Since we keep everything in memory up front, there may be less 'memory thrashing' (allocating and deallocating memory leaving small unusable holes until the system restarts). That may help with what you are seeing.

You did reboot the computer after enabling that, right?

FYI: I don't remember if we allocate and load the sequences as soon as the Monitor loads, OR if we do it the first time the show is scheduled to play. Don't freak out if your initial sequence takes a little bit to start at show time. Just keep an eye on the status screen.

I also have seen continued memory issues. I've yet to see any trouble during shows, but then I've taken to rebooting the PC before show time since upgrading to 3.9.

I run a 45 minute show that loops twice+, followed by a 1.5 hour show that also loops twice.

I work on sequences after the show and almost every night the SE crashes. That didn't happen until I upgraded. If I don't use the SE, then my video card crashes while surfing the net. That didn't happen before the upgrade.

Last night I rebooted the PC after the show ended. No problems after that.

Obviously, we shouldn't have to be doing that. Seems pretty clear that there's still a few holiday gremlins on the loose inside the software.

Edited by George Simmons

If I don't use the SE, then my video card crashes while surfing the net. That didn't happen before the upgrade.

We have absolutely nothing to do with video card drivers crashing. That makes me suspicious that some other update has happened to your computer which is now causing issues.

We have absolutely nothing to do with video card drivers crashing. That makes me suspicious that some other update has happened to your computer which is now causing issues.

The only things on my PC that have been updated since Thanksgiving are Virus definitions and S3.7 > 3.9. And I wouldn't have even updated S3 except it was purported to solve memory problems that experienced people still seem to be having.

Edited by George Simmons

FYI: I don't remember if we allocate and load the sequences as soon as the Monitor loads, OR if we do it the first time the show is scheduled to play. Don't freak out if your initial sequence takes a little bit to start at show time. Just keep an eye on the status screen.

It's done when the show starts. The log shows this. I'm assuming they are unloaded when the show ends too - since many of us use multiple shows in the schedule and it wouldn't be very efficient to load every sequence from every show all at the same time.

And I wouldn't have even updated S3 except it was purported to solve memory problems that experienced people still seem to be having.

]

This is why I only went from 3.5 -> 3.5.2 rather than all the way to 3.9... I'm really hesitant to update at all during the display season, but the memory stomper seemed pretty important to get rid of.

Are you using the option to preload your sequences (Sequences are loaded before any are played)?

Tried both same issue. It seems to be more fluid when you load as needed.

There are definitely still problems with S3. Tonight I lost video (on the second, outside screen) about an hour into the show. If I look at the log, it says that Windows Media Player cannot play the file because that there is a problem with my video card. Fortunately audio is still working.

I will restart the show player after the display is done for the night, and see if that fixes things.

But since George mentioned video card issues, this definitely seems to be pointing a finger at something besides our own flaky machine issues.

I'm using 3.5.2

Edited by Tim Fischer

I'm having similar issues with memory leaks. 3.9 made things better, but now instead of the "LOR Monitor has stopped working" every three shows, it only crashes once a night.