Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Logistics

shempster

I am running 4 controllers with 64 channels.

Do I need an electrician to run more outlets if I want to add CCRs?

Do you need 12 outlets for 12 CCRs?

Any help with this would be great.

Get a $33 waterproof box from Lowes or HD, 6 outlets, 10' of yellow electrical wire, i think it's 12-3. Now drill 12 holes with a hole saw the size of the receptacles. Wire 3 outlets to one male electrical 14-3 pigtail and the other 3 to another. Instant 12 leg outlet for the CCRs plugged into one GFCI outlet.

Just plug them all into a power strip or two. Each unit only pulls 0.3amps(with all the LEDs on), so all 12 of them will pull about 3.6Amps. Most of your outlets are rated at 15amps.

Each CCR has two network connections, so you can daisy chain them. I use 6" network patch cables to connect mine to each other.

I would recommend getting a Kill-a-Watt meter so you know how much power each of your controllers use with all the lights on

Back to the CCR's they will never use more the 1/3amp each with all the lights on.

Edited by Frank Farmer

Personally I use a single power supply (not the one provided by LOR) to run 6 of my CCR's. I have two boxes, like this.

post-2139-0-21531600-1353702580_thumb.jp

However I've seen guys put all the transformers that LOR provides into one box like this and do the same thing.

This is in the Lowes box that Ron was talking about.

Edited by Frank Farmer

What cords and how would you run them to, let say, to place the CCR the second story gutters from the ground?

Do the ribbons need to be enclosed for protection?

I have 16 LED spotlights purchased from WowLights going into 8 of the controller outlets, and about 30 sets of 50 LED lights connected to the other 8 channels. Would I be okay plugging my LOR controller into a power strip and then using only one of my outlets, and then use the other outlet for the CCRs? Or will that overload my system?

If I am undertsanding you, you have one 16-channel controller with just LED lights, and 12 CCR controllers. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by "12 CCRs". Even what I described can be run on a single household outlet.

You would probably be safe to plug in a hair dryer in addition. You have that much margin...

Edited by brianfox

Sounds like a solution but I don't understand you fully.

Do you have a diagram?

I have one at work, but I have a sick little boy so I won't be back to get it til Monday. Let me see if I can hash out a diagram in a bit.

Nowhere have I seen networks mentioned. You will be needing to use at least two, maybe three depending on how your CCRs are programmed.

Here's a quick and dirty drawing but it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Just do this again for the other side and you'll have 12 total plugs on one GFCI circuit.

I have 7 total CTB16PC Controllers, all LEDs attached, running to a box just like this and have been running since Nov. 23 with no problems.

My design was looked at by a licensed electrician at work and he OK'd it. I went home after he told me it was fine and right and built it.

Here's a link to the box I used http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Boxes-Conduit-Fittings-Boxes-Brackets/Carlon/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbohnZ1z116nvZ2dq/R-100404099/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=2&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UM_XeG_LQhE

This is a 8 x 4. I used a 12 x 12 x 6

I appreciate your work. If you only lived next door. Let me see if I have it. I have an outside outlet with two receptacles. I can take my 16 channel LOR controller with two wires, plug them in a power strip and plug that into one of the receptacles. Then I can take 6 CCR transformers, plug those into a power strip, and plug that into the other receptacle, and not blow a circuit? I would have the 16 LED spot lights and 30 sets of fifty LED lights connected to the LOR controller.

You can always use your Kill-a-Watt to double check your load, but in my experience, which is limited mind you, you should be OK. My LED strings pull .02 amps per string at 100 % intensity apiece. I tested my controllers earlier this year, with 16, 70ct strings at 100% intensity, and the Kill-A-Watt measured 0.7 amps. Since all of my controllers are about the same as far as light count, My total pull for 7 controllers is around the 5-6 amp mark. I did not verify this number with everything plugged up at the same time, but I did verify each controller, individually, the same way.

I run my 3 CCR's and 4 16 channel LOR boxes off of a single outlet with no problem.

I have modified the CCR's a bit. I put extensions on the cables going to the controllers. I put all the controllers in a single outdoor box and used swithcraft 4 pin connectors to make them easy to disconnect. I used 4 cond 16 cable for the extensions and it works great. Just mark the connections and don't get them mixed up.

So with the power all tied together in the box and the cat5's tied together-I just make one electrical connection and one catt 5 conntection-plug in the 3 strips and I am done.

How many amps does one CCR pull, if fully lighted?

See this part of Frank's post.

Just plug them all into a power strip or two. Each unit only pulls 0.3amps(with all the LEDs on), so all 12 of them will pull about 3.6Amps. Most of your outlets are rated at 15amps.

So, 0.3 amps with all LED's on.

• The topic was locked