Light-O-Rama Forums
Brian Mitchell

First 2012 Video

Very nicely done. I have a question though. Your spinner/burst on the left side caught my eye. The reason is I've been trying to develop a plan on one similar to that. The way i have mine now would take a whole 16 channel controller. If i did it the way i want, it would take 2. A $500 prop is just not feasible to me, especially such a small element in my display. Ok, I'm long winded, my question. How many channels do you have on each of the 8 arms of your starburst/spinner?

Your display is very nicely done.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Very nicely done. I have a question though. Your spinner/burst on the left side caught my eye. The reason is I've been trying to develop a plan on one similar to that. The way i have mine now would take a whole 16 channel controller. If i did it the way i want, it would take 2. A $500 prop is just not feasible to me, especially such a small element in my display. Ok, I'm long winded, my question. How many channels do you have on each of the 8 arms of your starburst/spinner?

Your display is very nicely done.

It's commonly called a Robin Wheel and yes it's a channel hog. 24 channels. $15 to build the prop and $400 to controll it. The court is still out on whether the bang for the buck is worth it, but it can do some really cool patterns. Each leg has three sections with 50 lights per section. Legs are 30' long so it's about 5' across. Actually I guess it was $65 to build because it has 24 extension cords to go to the controller.

Cool new tree,Brian. Nice job on the sequence.

Great job! I love your new addition! You always have an awesome display, and I always enjoy watching!

Most Excellent.

That is awesome. Where did you find the song. I went to purchase it on Amazon and couldn't find it.

Thanks, Daren

That is awesome. Where did you find the song. I went to purchase it on Amazon and couldn't find it.

Thanks, Daren

Interesting. I got it off of amazon, but I see it isn't there anymore. I just checked and it is available on itune for 99 cents.

That is great Brian!

I like Eddie. Any plans for him to sing?

+1 on the Robin wheel being a channel hog. But it's one of Sharon's favorite display elements, so ours is here to stay. And there ARE a lot of cool things you can do with it - one of the most versatile things in the yard IMO.

Edited by George Simmons

George, funny you should mention that. My daughter and I were just talking about that last night. It looks like an easy add and will allow him to do backup vocals.

Have you thrown megatree patterns at the Robin wheel to see what happens? I've had some cool results with that.

Brian, I have to say THANK YOU! Ever since I saw Brandon (?) a few years back, I had to build his cousin. Last year I finally did it - and he was the hit of the show - Douglas Fir. He does all the show announcing, and the kids just love his singing. But then again maybe I did not do it exactly right - a facebook post from a visitor to my display said her two boys called Doug a "talking triangle".

wow! I'm new and have been looking at A LOT of videos but this has to be my favorite so far. The timing of the elements is spot-on. I think i'm going to have to watch again right now :)

Brian, I have to say THANK YOU! Ever since I saw Brandon (?) a few years back, I had to build his cousin. Last year I finally did it - and he was the hit of the show - Douglas Fir. He does all the show announcing, and the kids just love his singing. But then again maybe I did not do it exactly right - a facebook post from a visitor to my display said her two boys called Doug a "talking triangle".

Got a picture? I've had the talking triangle comment for Bernard also. And so far, the guitar player, Eddie, has been called Patrick (Star) and a ghost.

wow! I'm new and have been looking at A LOT of videos but this has to be my favorite so far. The timing of the elements is spot-on. I think i'm going to have to watch again right now :)

I've been really enjoying the videos of your display. I've watched the "tour" videos as well and i'm wondering if you've ever done anything on how you sequence a song. Since i'm new and hoping to learn as much as possible, would you mind sharing your "process" (assuming you have one) for sequencing a new song? Thanks!

I've been really enjoying the videos of your display. I've watched the "tour" videos as well and i'm wondering if you've ever done anything on how you sequence a song. Since i'm new and hoping to learn as much as possible, would you mind sharing your "process" (assuming you have one) for sequencing a new song? Thanks!

Tony,

Check out this post.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/25472-how-i-sequence/

Got a picture? I've had the talking triangle comment for Bernard also. And so far, the guitar player, Eddie, has been called Patrick (Star) and a ghost.

Here you go - is a video better? One of the "improvements" I did for this year to Doug is adding an "O" mouth movement. This video especially highlights that improvement. I love Eddie, but I'm running out of yard now. Maybe I will have to start up a discussion with the neighbors.

https://vimeo.com/55955102

Brian, great as usual. Looking forward for your tour this year. I used your tips from one of the sequences you shared last year and spent the past 5 months improving my sequences. I also improved my fan that I built from your how to video.

Have you found a new web host, as I notice you said after December it will shut down?

Thanks for your help

John (oldandslow)

Radioguy,

I see why you get the triangle comment. You forgot his stump.

John,

I ended up just upgrading my godaddy account to a 10 page website so I will be able to put everything right on the same site. For now I linked the videos to my youtube page till I learn how to get them on my site. I started putting up pictures of this years display and have copied over my blog so that doesnt get lost.

It seems my media site is still working but it could go away at any time.

Another shameless bump here. I got the post display blues and need my ego stroked a bit. ;)

I found the best thing for post display blues is to build stuff fotr this years display. I still have a few things left in my yard abd I started making new stuff tonight. nothing big just pvc with lights for a yard border but still.