Light-O-Rama Forums

Video Camera

LORi P

This is my second post today with major thanks extended to George Simmons... what can I say... he rocks!

After making several sub-par videos last year, I started searching the forum for video camera recommendations. George highly recommended the Cisco Flip HD. They are no longer manufactured, so I bought one off eBay.

The video quality is fantastic!!!! Crystal clear, vibrant colors, and so far no focus problems. I highly recommend it!

Ill add to that list. The Flip and the PlayFull are cheap cameras that take great quality shots of our lights. Although it does record in 1080P, the 720P had 60 frames per second option. The new ones might have 1080p with 60 FPS but Id rather the 60fps at 720p for the show to not miss any of the quick bursts.

Edited by GoofyGuy

Lori,

I used a flip and it starts off well but then the music and video gets out of step. Not sure what causes this.. If anyone know please let me know... LOL

Lori,

I used a flip and it starts off well but then the music and video gets out of step. Not sure what causes this.. If anyone know please let me know... LOL

This is usually a codec issue on the playback computer. Just need a few updates and it will fix itself.

• Like 1

Lori,

I dub in the audio later directly from the .mp3 for better audio quality.... so that should not be an issue for me.... ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words Lori. Would this be an opportune time to ask if you're single? ;) Or available anyway?

Giving credit where it's due, it was Mike Cole (sparkylights) who first turned me on to the Flip.

For the cost - I think it was under a hundred and a half total including a wide-angle lens and shipping - getting good quality HD video at that price is probably the best deal I've gotten anywhere in this hobby.

I just wish the batteries held their charge a bit longer in the cold, or that I could change out the battery pack without having to take the camera off the tripod.

Thanks for the kind words Lori. Would this be an opportune time to ask if you're single? ;)

Let me check with Sharon, first. :P

Let me check with Sharon, first. :P

Maybe next time George.

Still I know the threads are coming, Lets keep this one at the top a while. As these cameras are Amazing, and as long as were giving credit where due. Have you seen Sparkylights display this year. I dont care what fad is here pixels, leds, weber trees, matrixs. That display is still my favorite, with Tinsel Town being my personal #1 fan favorite video.

• Like 1

And don't you have to check with jimswinder too?! :P

yeah..I was going to ask that same thing!!!! :wacko:

Edited by jimswinder

yeah..I was going to ask that same thing!!!! :wacko:

Sorry sweetie pie, it was late and I was not thinking clearly..... I hope you will forgive me... :P

This is my second post today with major thanks extended to George Simmons... what can I say... he rocks!

After making several sub-par videos last year, I started searching the forum for video camera recommendations. George highly recommended the Cisco Flip HD. They are no longer manufactured, so I bought one off eBay.

The video quality is fantastic!!!! Crystal clear, vibrant colors, and so far no focus problems. I highly recommend it!

LORI P, which model did you get?

Sorry sweetie pie, it was late and I was not thinking clearly..... I hope you will forgive me... :P

okay...but just this once!! :wub:

LORI P, which model did you get?

Flip Video UltraHD 8 GB Gen 3

I just searched eBay for 'Flip Video UltraHD' - there are plenty out there still.

I think a thread on here recommended gen 2 over gen 3, but I read that after I ordered my gen 3. But I am very pleased with my gen3.

I used my Nikon D5000 in video mode but I'm not impressed with the quality. I truly expected more. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I've seen other's videos in here and they are better quality than mine.

I used my Nikon D5000 in video mode but I'm not impressed with the quality. I truly expected more. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I've seen other's videos in here and they are better quality than mine.

If you tried to record your display with the camera set to AUTO, there's no doubt a lot of room for disappointment. The camera will constantly be searching for the correct aperture and focus. If you set the camera for aperture priority and select an aperture where the colors look reasonable, then manually set the focus, you will acheive far better results.

If you tried to record your display with the camera set to AUTO, there's no doubt a lot of room for disappointment. The camera will constantly be searching for the correct aperture and focus. If you set the camera for aperture priority and select an aperture where the colors look reasonable, then manually set the focus, you will acheive far better results.

Yeah, I admit I was in the auto mode. Maybe I'll get out there tonight and try manually. The video was in focus, used a tripod and so on but its not as clear as I'd hoped as if it was a lower qualtiy recording but I think the video setting was for the higher.

If any of you are looking for a great camera for shooting your display take a look at the Panasonic DMC-lx7 or DMC-fz200. Both have been given fantastic reviews and have sensors and lenses made for low light. There have been a lot of people on this forum and a few others that asked about recommendations and those kept coming up even before I said it. I work for Panasonic and can assist you with my employee discount too. We have some special friends and family pricing going on too.

Just send me a message.