Light-O-Rama Forums

RDS (FM Transmitter Text) and LOR

bhays

example rds hardware: http://www.pcs-electronics.com/rds-max-4000-p-1141.html

I know a number of us use fm transmitters for our display that have the capability to broadcast RDS data. It's the text on your radio that displays station name/etc. Most of the rds software can broadcast from a text file in a directory. Would it be possible for LORII to include (or someone to write a plugin for LOR) to write out a text file containing the title of the currently playing song?

Or, if you could launch an external program, you could have a batch file write the text file each time a new song played. I know the Vixen software can do that.

Seems like LOR writing the text file would be the simplest solution. This could also work for folks who use the led scrolling signs some of which can read a text file, or java scrollers on their web sites, etc. This would make a killer Chuckorama utility (hint hint hint)

Alternatively, does anyone know of a way to do this now?

It looks like the RDS board has the option of 8 pre set text messages.

According to the web site, these messages can be triggered with a simple switch to gouund. Just use a LOR channel connected to a relay (or 8 relays) for LOR to trigger a message. If you don't want to use 8 LOR trac channels, check out the use of a Dasher chip with transistors or get the LOR DC board for relays.

Vic Fortenbach wrote:

It looks like the RDS board has the option of 8 pre set text messages.

According to the web site, these messages can be triggered with a simple switch to gouund. Just use a LOR channel connected to a relay (or 8 relays) for LOR to trigger a message. If you don't want to use 8 LOR trac channels, check out the use of a Dasher chip with transistors or get the LOR DC board for relays.

That's sort of like building a watch to see what time it is, isn't it? At least compared to the simplicity of having a text filed written out when each song starts. There are also people with scrolling signs that would benefit from the same feature as well.

I had considered the relay option and may do it that way, but giving up channels for rds messages is quite a compromise.

bhays wrote:

That's sort of like building a watch to see what time it is, isn't it?
I had considered the relay option and may do it that way, but giving up channels for rds messages is quite a compromise.

With the Dasher chip, extra non-dimming channels are very inexpensive (about a $1 per channel). Which makes Dasher and LOR perfect for this application.

As for the LED scrolling sign with LOR control, that on my list for projects to do.