Light-O-Rama Forums

Weird Christmas decorations. What the heck is happening?

LORisAwesome

That's where I play Pink Floyd's Brain Damage and Eclipse - shutdown sequence each night. Like you, it's one I did for myself in 2009 and I don't really care if anyone else likes it. There's probably only a couple hundred people who've ever seen it live and I don't remember ever witnessing anyone drive off while it plays.

I would like to see that one George being a big Floyd fan myself.

I am confused on the Gangnam Style also....I might use it as an after Christmas/New years sequence but for Christmas, I believe it is just weird.

I would like to see that one George being a big Floyd fan myself.

Here you go:

If you follow the link to Vimeo, there's also Wish You Were Here by Roger Waters and Time by PF videos uploaded from 2011 that you can access from there. All are live versions. Enjoy.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

Here you go:

If you follow the link to Vimeo, there's also Wish You Were Here by Roger Waters and Time by PF videos uploaded from 2011 that you can access from there. All are live versions. Enjoy.

Thanks George. I really enjoyed the videos.

Edited by Santas Helper

I think the non-Christmas oriented props (penguins, polar bears, golfing dog) are a way to market the season to a wider audience. For example, there are a few Jewish members of this forum that animate their lights in celebration of Hanukkah. I included two Jewish themed songs in my show this year. There are some people that won't include a Santa with their nativity scene, and some that have a little of everything. My display is somewhat non-denominational and that's my personal taste.

The same can be said of song choices. Some people have only Christian faith based songs and the there are other that have everything. My mix is traditional Christmas music including video, a few funny Christmas songs, some popular TSO hits, and two Hanukkah themed songs.

I just visited Home Depot. I saw a T-rex with a santa hat, a pink pig, no wings but it had a santa hat, a mickey mouse with a santa hat, some kind of dog with a santa hat, and a pink flamingo holding a christmas present.

None of this seems to me that it has anything to do with Christmas. It just is weird, and it keeps getting weirder each year.

I am beginning to wonder if this is some kind fo weird Chineese conspiracy to see just what the crazy Americans will buy.

Jerry

In defense of wierd decorations, This is all based on tradition and some people are just trying to create new traditions. I myself prefere the old traditions including my song choices for my display. I don't like non Christmas songs in a Christmas display but as someone already pointed out in this thread, if people enjoy watching it, why not use it. Just look at Crackers video last year that went viral, it wasn't a christmas or halloween song but he gained national notoirity from it.

I guess it is just "to each his own".

What the heck does Gangnam Style have to do with Christmas? I don't know, and don't get why people keep using it.

What the heck does a John Deere tractor have to do with Christmas? I have one in my display... it's a nod to my Dad who sold them most of his life.

I woke up on thanksgiving to one of the parades on TV with a 60 something-ish Mr. and Mrs. Santa claus doing the gangham style dance with a storm trooper, indiana jones and psy.... go figure.

To me Christmas is just supposed to be fun... this year I wanted to build an alien santa claus with a red space ship powered by 8 robot reindeer... but my mother in law is very religious and would probably destroy it while i sleep.... not to mention its already the 5th and im still running wire trying to get the display working...

Just my opinion, but I agree with the others who just cant see any pink pigs or flamingos in my display. Could someone suggest a Hanukkah themed song or two? Been thinking about do this, but didnt have any idea what would sound good.

Just my opinion, but I agree with the others who just cant see any pink pigs or flamingos in my display. Could someone suggest a Hanukkah themed song or two? Been thinking about do this, but didnt have any idea what would sound good.

Try Candlelight by The Maccabeats. Check out the YouTube video with 7.8 million hits, http://youtu.be/qSJCSR4MuhU

• Like 1

Well Max and Ron, Looks like we are in the minority on this. lol. I'll never understand it though. I just hope the stores continue to sell the more traditional items.

• Like 1

I had no idea there was so much passion over this.

I'm not making my house blink to make me happy (even though it does). I do it to make others smile. If Gagnham style accomplishes that then so be it!

Old saying says it all "There is a time and place for everything". I would think that if your going to do a 4th of July show, then this would be a good time to do the Gagnham thing then to show that America is a melting pot. But Christmas is not the time or place for anything other than Christmas in my opinion. Hey, but that is just my 2 cents, just disappointed that people would muddy the event with none Christmas stuff just to make a few people happy. Suppose you need to listen the Go Fish and Christmas with a capital C to understand me.

• Like 1

What do you have to say about someone who does Little Town of Bethlehem and Christmas with a Capital C, AND some non-Christmas music all in the same show?

• Like 1