Light-O-Rama Forums

Weird Christmas decorations. What the heck is happening?

LORisAwesome

What is going on with Christmas decorations?

A few years ago, polar bears and penguins started showing up in the stores. Ok, those things sorta make sense.

BUT now, I am seeing pink pigs with wings and halos, peacocks, a yoda with a lightsaber, Dinosaurs, Sailboats, and other weird stuff that I can't even remember. What the heck does any of this stuff have to do with Christmas?

Home Depot has an airblown santa in a helicopter? I always thought santa came in a sleigh with eight reindeer.

Anyone else think this stuff is weird and has nothing to do with Christmas?

Also wondering what is the strangest thing you've seen as far as Christmas decorations go.

Jerry

Peacocks are tied to Christmas in history. So they get a pass. There was a fuss in our town last year because a person put peacock wireframes on her roof. After being schooled, the city relented.

Santa in a helicopter was created as a result of the members of the Gemmy Airblown club asking for it to be produced. I have thought it was a nod to the wireframes showing the same that have been around for years.

What the heck does Gangnam Style have to do with Christmas? I don't know, and don't get why people keep using it.

What the heck does a John Deere tractor have to do with Christmas? I have one in my display... it's a nod to my Dad who sold them most of his life.

• Like 3

What the heck does Gangnam Style have to do with Christmas? I don't know, and don't get why people keep using it.

Thank you Tim. Now I don't feel alone.

Santa is on the bow of a 12' boat fishing in a pond of lights in my display... There's even a rod with a line of lights hooked to an 18" plywood fish. I live in a waterfront town surrounded on 3 sides by water, so it fits the theme. It's whatever makes people happy. One of my most popular scenes is my dog scene, with 5 four-legged light ups around some presents and dog-igloos (seriously, those plastic ones petco sells that I found at garage sales for cheap). Of course there's a bunch of penguins and snowmen and other like stuff. What's it matter as long as people enjoy it?

(And while I understand Gangnam style.. and Sandstorm... and like songs because of their popularity and tempo, but, I do prefer to keep my sequences to Christmas-ey songs.

Edited by Stephen Blue

What is going on with Christmas decorations?

A few years ago, polar bears and penguins started showing up in the stores. Ok, those things sorta make sense.

BUT now, I am seeing pink pigs with wings and halos, peacocks, a yoda with a lightsaber, Dinosaurs, Sailboats, and other weird stuff that I can't even remember. What the heck does any of this stuff have to do with Christmas?

Home Depot has an airblown santa in a helicopter? I always thought santa came in a sleigh with eight reindeer.

Anyone else think this stuff is weird and has nothing to do with Christmas?

Also wondering what is the strangest thing you've seen as far as Christmas decorations go.

Jerry

Jerry, I knew this day would come...

Pink Floyd has finally made a full circle in society. And so have the final effects of the sugar cube daze :lol:

You watch. next year they will come out with an inflatable sugar cube.

Now if I can just get my pink pig with wings to fly during my show... I'll have to work on that ;)

Edited by Santas Helper

I prefer to use only Christmas songs in my display as well.

I like the Mannheim Steamroller and Trans Siberian Orchestra songs the best. I also have some Glen Miller Christmas CD's called "Christmas in the Mood" and "Christmas in the Mood II". These are really good, but, I think they would be hard to sequence.

Tom. I'm not too familiar with Pink Floyd so I'm not sure what you mean. I do know that -- If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. lol That always make me smile when I hear that song.

Jerry

A dog with a golf club at Home Depot.

If that isn't Christmas, I don't know what is.

I saw that one too -- I t seems that if you put a Santa hat on anything suddenly it is a Christmas decoration.

Jerry

I prefer to use only Christmas songs in my display as well.

I like the Mannheim Steamroller and Trans Siberian Orchestra songs the best. Me too

Tom. I'm not too familiar with Pink Floyd so I'm not sure what you mean. I do know that -- If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. lol That always make me smile when I hear that song. And yes, I too like that one. LOL

I t seems that if you put a Santa hat on anything suddenly it is a Christmas decoration.

Jerry

Yes Jerry, it's either a Santa hat or wings (birds and pigs) :P

I was about to do the "Call me maybe" But I couldn't pull the trigger. I really don't have anything against it, its just not for me. I am a traditionalist and have gone as far as to pull out my Christmas albums to find songs that have that good old christmas feeling...

Tom. I'm not too familiar with Pink Floyd so I'm not sure what you mean.

The folks that took sugar cubes (made you see weird things) back in the early Pink Floyd days are now putting out all this weird non-christmas stuff for christmas. Too many sugar cubes I bet.

The folks that took sugar cubes (made you see weird things) back in the early Pink Floyd days are now putting out all this weird non-christmas stuff for christmas. Too many sugar cubes I bet.

Oh, must have been something beside sugar in those sugar cubes. lol

Jerry

This, I've been asking this question everytime I see it. I just don't understand what the big deal is over it.

As far as the OP, I don't understand what all of these are for either.

Santa, Reindeer, sleighs, wreaths, Lots and lots and lots of lights. That's my pick.

Although I do have a Santa Train and a Santa Heli, Inflatables, but those are a six yr old son pick. I can't deny him something in the display.

My ex GF (Long story) was over last weekend. She is originally from South Korea, (Apparently the Gangnam Style originated there). Anyway she wanted me to pull it up on youtube. I'd never heard about it before that day, now, it seems that it is everywhere. According to her, it is dance music. What do I know I don't know how to dance...

Something with a beat like that has would be easy to sequence, but, I wouldn't want to use it in a Christmas display though...

Jerry

Santa in a camper.....

Mrs. Claus must have got sick of him giving everyone else gifts while she got nothing and kicked him to the curb.

Santa needs to go to Jared's :lol:

I actually enjoy some of the more unique decorations... One can have only so many Santa's and reindeer in their display lol.

I'm sequencing the dubstep version of pumped up kicks. That ones for me, not "to make every one else happy". It's going to be the hidden track... Last song of the last show of the night.might do more if I have time. Next year the last show of the night will be all pop songs and dubstep

... That ones for me, not "to make every one else happy". It's going to be the hidden track... Last song of the last show of the night.

That's where I play Pink Floyd's Brain Damage and Eclipse - shutdown sequence each night. Like you, it's one I did for myself in 2009 and I don't really care if anyone else likes it. There's probably only a couple hundred people who've ever seen it live and I don't remember ever witnessing anyone drive off while it plays.

• Like 1