Light-O-Rama Forums

security of ccrs

crowninb

so i just finished completing my 6 ccr tree and it worked on my first shot. 5 minutes in lighting it up i had neighbors from above my house coming down to my neighborhood to see what the heck was going on. I have it in my front yard which is only 25 feet from the street. I have all the controllers in 3 steralite containers under the structure. It got me to thinking that after people see this they may have the idea of stealing all the stuff. I know i took that risk when i set it up and since its so close and anyone could walk up and take it but i am wondering if anyone has come up with ways to secure or lock down bins if they use them or secure there stuff some how????

i would hate to have to unplug the ccr every night and put the bins in my garage....

thanks

brice

I personally wouldn't fret it. The ratio of people worrying about controller theft / actual controller theft is very high.

Put a tarp over the bins or something if you want them less conspicuous...

I personally wouldn't fret it. The ratio of people worrying about controller theft / actual controller theft is very high.

Put a tarp over the bins or something if you want them less conspicuous...

Easy for you to say Tim...living in Minnesota Nice! : ) Plymouth on top of it,,,voted #1 small city to live in 2008.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know it's a little late...but maybe early for next year. Like you, my ccr's are close to the street, and I was concerned with theft. My 12 controllers are in two water resistant boxes that are screwed shut after hooking up the cords. Those boxes are then put in a large rubber maid container and chained to the flagpole that supports the ribbons.

My hubby cut holes in the rubbermaid container for the cords to go through and holes for the chain to run through. We were trying to make it as inconvenient as possible for someone to mess around with the connections.

The rubbermaid container is then covered with a large black tarp so that it blends in at night as much as possible. We've done this for the past 2 years and haven't had anyproblems. In addition the tarp provides some additional water proofing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sally

• Like 1

Has anyone done something like this?

Run a closed-loop, 22 gauge insulated wire around each controller box and fasten it to the tree/support post/house. I envision a mini-pin connector so that it can be unhooked to open and close the case as needed, but the loop would be closed and connected to the trigger in the controller with a 1/8" stereo connector. Set the trigger to Normally Closed and then program a trigger sequence that turns all the lights on for all LOR controllers (maybe shimmer) and plays an MP3 track of a siren. That way, as long as the scheduler is on, if someone snatches a controller or tries to open a controller housing, it would set off quite a show. Been meaning to look into this, but it has been too deep on the to do list every year to surface.

I'm with Tim....even with people mentioning malicious damage you never hereabout people walking off with controllers. I put my controllers in grey weather resistant boxes and screw them to 1x2 driven into the ground.

This past year I made a plywood box and painted it like a present. It was under the mega tree so it just looked like a decoration.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked