Light-O-Rama Forums

Led lights

Dougie

Hi could anyone tell me is it possible to make led multi function light in to static here in Ireland it is very hard to find static lights all most all light are multi function we run on 240v thank you for your time

Hi and welcome Dougie.

I would say that the lads over here dont get much experience with some of the stuff you all have over there. Might hang around and see if any of the chaps on your side of the pond or down under.

I have done this with many multifunction lights here in NZ but they tend to be lights that have some sort of transformer, either separate or as part of the multifunction controller so although they input 240v, they output something much lower voltage DC ( 24v or 31v for example). Do your lights have a transformer or are they true 240v lights?

I have done this with many multifunction lights here in NZ but they tend to be lights that have some sort of transformer, either separate or as part of the multifunction controller so although they input 240v, they output something much lower voltage DC ( 24v or 31v for example). Do your lights have a transformer or are they true 240v lights?

They have a transformer which is in the plug top then a short strand of wire then the controller .

Ok, so I therefore presume these are low voltage lights something like 24v or 31v since they have a transformer. I have only done this with 24v and 31v lights so the following only applies to low voltage lights. You will want a switch mode power supply that will have an AC 240v input but will output a DC voltage somewhat similar to the output voltage of your lights (i.e. a 24v or 30v switch mode power supply).

You don't need the transformer that came with the lights so put that aside.

There are usually three wires going from the string of lights to the controller, So cut the lights between the light string and the controller to get rid of the controller.

Of those three wires you are left with, two will need to be joined/ soldered together and will connect to the negative low voltage output of a switch mode power supply and the third will connect to the positive. You will need to try different combinations of joining two of the wires together but when the lights glow, you've found the right combination. Getting the wrong combination doesn't seem to hurt the lights. Just be careful doing this with whatever switch mode power supply you are using as although the output from it is low voltage, on many of the power supplies people are using, the high voltage (240v) is right next door.

(e.g. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/AC-DC-Switching-Power-Supply-with-85-to-265V-Input-Voltage-27V-350W-output-CE-approved/701799_431656111.html )

I did my testing on a power supply that had a sealed cord for the input 240v with only the low voltage output terminals exposed which was much safe but not entirely necessary if you take the usual electrical safety precautions. (e.g. http://www.jaycar.co.nz/products_uploaded/productLarge_13307.jpg ).

Once you have your two negatives joined together and your single positive, then you will be able to connect your lights to the positive and negative terminals of your DC LOR controller .

One other thing I found out from the Auschristmas forum is that many of the transformers that come with the LEDs output a low voltage AC rather than a true DC and in that situation, the switch mode power supply you use to power the lights will need to be set at a little higher voltage DC current, i.e. if the transformer that came with the lights is outputting 24v AC, the you will need more like 27 to 30v DC to make the lights glow. Many of the switch mode power supplies that you can get from Ray Wu have a little plastic screw dial thingy which you can vary the voltage by about 10% so my 30v power supply is dialled up to 33v to make my lights glow.

Hope this all makes sense and ..... Please don't electrocute yourself. The above is easy to do but you just need to keep safe as the power supplies used for the DC lighting still have high voltage 240v inputs.