Light-O-Rama Forums

Problem with Hardware Utility

Jacksback72

I installed the LIght-o-rama software and downloaded the updates fromm last year (New laptop) - I plugin the USB485B to the USB port and click on thre hardware utility. It keeps saying that the comm port is in use. I reloaded the USB485B software and the first controller I hooked up worked then once I went to the second it says that the comm port is in use - disable the shows. I have never enabled the shows.

Any help would begreat.

Thanks, Bill

Do you have any other LOR software running...ie the Sequence Editor? You can't have anything running. The LOR network can only communicate on the comm port with one piece of software or the hardware utility.

Greg

Hi,

With the usb485b some PCs have sensitive USB ports(internally) so when you are switching in more controllers you should stop the Hardware Utilty and unplug the USB adapter from the PC (in that order) before you start moving around the CAT5 cables.

See if this is helpful

Hey Dan - I have a quick question -

I just opened my Sequence Editor and this is the following message I received:

You will not be able to control lights because of an error. Open of serial port has failed

Error: (8002) Invalid port number While: Executing Port Open Property Trace: Init Light-O-Rama port/Open of serial port has failed

Error: (8002) Invalid port number While: Executing Port Open Property Trace: Init Light-O-Rama port

Control Lights has been turned off on the Play Menu

I seem to being having a problem with Light-O-Rama and the laptop communication to each other.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

This is a normal warning if you do not have your adapter and at least one controller attached to the computer. It is also letting you know that "Control Lights" is not enabled in the play menu. You can still sequence and everything will work fine once you connect the adapter and controllers.

• 2 months later...

I am getting the same error...

BUT everyting is connected, the harware utility finding all 4 controllers, but I cannot control lights in the sequence editor and running a show is not working either...

I also just tried setting the speed in the sequence editor to the slowest and that didn't help either.

THe specific message I am getting is: error 8002: open of serial port has failed.

error 8003 com port error

while open com15 params baud 19200 parity=n data-8 etc....

trace: INIT Light-O-Rama port

94-302-vert wrote:

I also just tried setting the speed in the sequence editor to the slowest and that didn't help either.

THe specific message I am getting is: error 8002: open of serial port has failed.

error 8003 com port error

while open com15 params baud 19200 parity=n data-8 etc....

trace: INIT Light-O-Rama port

What version of software are you using? If it is 1.6.3 then try upgrading to 1.6.9.

Dan