Light-O-Rama Forums

Ribbon solder issues and can i jump a bad section

rickharp

My CCr Ribbon is the original and I've found from the beginning that it was super fragile, and even being careful, would require I razor cut the sheathing and re-solder the 16 pin IC. it has proven successful in about 6 cuts or repairs. Tonight though I feel one of the 16 bit IC's in the 4.5 inch section is toast, and my next work around is to "jump" the section. can I run 4 leader wires from the copper section breaks to the next section break, jumping that section. Everything I try to the 16 pin IC provides no feedback. the section is half way through a two loop section so I am ok with loosing that section. just curious if others have had success or similar experiences before I go through the trouble. Thanks, Rick in FL

Yes you can jump over the pixel like that, or you can remove the bad section and shorten the strip by that pixel itself. It will be a little shorter but no dark spots.

There are so many tiny connections it could just be the signal contact broke lose, the power, the ground, and plenty of others. Your best off removing the the culprit all together. What I would reccomend is getting a multi meter on the end of the working pixel to make sure you have power, ground, and signal coming all the way through the pixel. I didnt see where you said the following pixels were working? If the ones after the dead pixel are then you have no fear get to work!

I know many of us in the pixel game this year, and many that have been doing it for a few have made hundreds if not thousands of these removals, cuts, solders. Ive had great success with this. Ive repaired broken strips straight from China by reflowing the solder on the IC's as well as they were cold solder joints from the factory. It happens, keep your head up and if you get frustrated. Put it all down, get an Egg Nog, go punch your neighbors fence, then come back to it. The hobby is for fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. half of my strip is always white and on. In my attempt to splice / replace the 2nd half the strand with a replacement, I got the same result (latter part always on) as before I started. So I am puzzled if the error signal or short is in the original or first half of the ribbon, which btw, works fine. The solder is clean with no stray shorts that I can see. I tickle each IC and cut connectors, and cannot get it to show any signs of flicker.

Where would or could the "always on" be coming from, an IC, or cut joint, a solder joint, something far or near the issue??

Is there a thread that deals with this more frequently that I should be following. Thanks and sorry to bug you with this. It's not the end of the world if one of my 4 loops are not working.

Also, is there a way to test this strand or controller in the hardware utility user interface screen. I only see where I can turn on the first 16 pixels. how can i turn the whole strand on, or on with color changes for testing.

Well, I kept at it, and guessed that it was the pixel set prior to where the pixels stayed lit, so I cut the last good one out, and replaced it with one from another bad CCR, and it worked. in summary, try replacing the last good pixel set instead of thinking it was the first, last or some pixel in the bad section. I am happy now. Thanks.

• The topic was locked