Light-O-Rama Forums

VU/Level meter in RGB

starzen

i am making a pole with 5 sections of individual RGB strips. For parts of a sequence i would like to make it show like a VU meter. first 3 sections green then one yellow and one red based on the music. it is a 16 channel LOR DC controller hooked up to dumb RGB strips

Wondering if there is an easy way to do this or if i have to do it all manually

thanks

Mike

I've never used it, but sounds like the VU wizard might be helpful to you. It's located on the same menu as the beat wizard.

when I did this in my 2009 show with S2 I had to do it Manually in the grid.. im thinking LSP may have a feature like this.. I know MADRIX does.. another option (I know its late for this year).. is to buy an EQ board.. (I bought and built ak it) that is a 16 x 16 EQ grid.. and you feed it music directly. so its effectively a dumb EQ that you can connect your Tubes to, then use an LOR channel to cycle the power to the EQ board on and off.. I never used it in a real display but the way it works in testing i wired dumb RGB strips to whichever color I wanted to activate.. I used blue, green, and red from bottom to top.

-Christopher

i am making a pole with 5 sections of individual RGB strips. For parts of a sequence i would like to make it show like a VU meter. first 3 sections green then one yellow and one red based on the music. it is a 16 channel LOR DC controller hooked up to dumb RGB strips

Wondering if there is an easy way to do this or if i have to do it all manually

thanks

Mike

This is very easy to do using the VU wizard. See the "Tips & Tricks" post http://forums.lighto...ks-and-secrets/ about post 28 and subsequent.

The approach written up was initially for single colour light poles, but works equally well for RGB strips. With your 5 RGB segments, (15 LOR channels), simply follow the approach outlined, but expand the RGB channels to their component colours (R, G, B ) and then when you copy the channels with the appropriate on/off patterns created by the VU wizard, paste them in the green colour for the segments you want green, the red and green channels for the yellow segment, and just the red channel for the segment you want red. (Ensure you are using the timing grid created by the VU wizard at both the copy and paste locations.)

I have done this for the last 2 years and it is fast to do and easy. (I don't think it appears in any of last years videos.)

Edited by Geoff Harvey