Light-O-Rama Forums

I Hate Eating Crow - but humble pie isn't too bad...

George Simmons

Well, I ran verifier this morning. I had quite a few warnings and 2 errors, but when I looked at them, they all had to do with the fact that I play music during the day before the show starts at night (4035 'no channels' warnings issued for the music-only shows). The 2 errors were missing media files on the same daytime music. So it looks like the programming is doing ok. I will look closely at some individual songs today and see if I can find anything. The tester shipped last night, so maybe I'll have it by Friday. I also talked to LOR help desk and they are planning to send some triac replacements for the box that has two stuck channels (staying on). I hope that's the only solution needed for that issue. I backed up the firmware (older version) on the d-light board that was giving trouble, and for the most part, it's behaving much better. This is so much fun!~)

Janet

Hey George, how many recipes you want for Crow? B) And welcome to the club. :P

BTW: Sounds like maybe you may have had a mole bite through your underground cable. Don't know if you have those critters where you are, but they can sure mess up some underground cabling or power wires.

Edited by Orville

Update:

I received the cable tester in the mail today, and all homemade cables "passed." Cool tester. When I checked the only store-bought cable, it came back as "crossed." I guess it's a crossover cable, and I didn't know (it's green, not yellow). Anyway, I went out and purchased a brand new one, tested that to be sure, and installed. Then, when the show started, I was sure that all my problems would be solved. NOT! I'm still having issues with channels doing their own thing. I have studied my programming, and am convinced that the Grinch is trying to mess with me! Now it appears that two more triacs are bad (will replace this weekend), or something even worse. One channel won't come on at all, and the other won't turn off. One thing strange that I've noticed, most of my issues occur on channels that have rope lights plugged into them (non LED). They're the ones that seem to do their own thing instead of following the program. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks again for all the help,

Janet

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh - Grelmins are attacking my controllers tonight, too. Several songs have chaanels coming on when they are not supposed to, and they are not consistent from one time a song is played to the next one. I have noticed that at least 3 of my 6 comtrollers are effected. So why don't I feel motivated to go change out some com cables? Uugh.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, George. I changed out the first cat5 cable in the daisy chain last night and voila! My massive controller madness was solved. I was so disheartened Sunday night when so many channels were going off randomly. Then yesterday I came home from work an hour early so I could change out cables in daylight. When I got home 8 channels were shimmering away! Same symptoms you were having - channels coming on even when LOR was not running. What a relief when I swapped out the cable and everything ran flawlessly. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Glad I could help. It's really awesome how many issues a faulty comm cable can cause. Must be that everyone's cables are getting old at the same time this year. I don't recall ever before seeing so many comm issues in the forum in a single season as this year.

Does this finally move me in front of Jim W on your list?

Ahhh - Grelmins are attacking my controllers tonight, too. Several songs have chaanels coming on when they are not supposed to, and they are not consistent from one time a song is played to the next one. I have noticed that at least 3 of my 6 comtrollers are effected. So why don't I feel motivated to go change out some com cables? Uugh.

Lori, the EASY solution to that problem is to add more lights... in fact you put out so many lights that you cant follow and the ones that are acting up kinda fade in to the background ...

Ok .. I really dont have any thing constructive to help you with but I thought it was funny .. and ...I'm at work .. and .. i'm bored...

Bob

And to update your LOR software to the latest patch or release since that Memory Leak issue could possibly do strange things llike that to your display if running from a PC. Even though I don't run my show from a PC, I use a DC-MP3 Showtime Director, still updated to the latest patch for my version just in case, since I do use a PC {Laptop} to test new sequences before I add them to my show.

So what may have been thought to be a bad cable, could have been created by the Memory Leak problem and the cable could actually still be fine. I'd test the cable with a cat5 cable tester to verify it's really bad or not. Especially since this new issue came up recently that the Memory Leak problem could disrupt a show over time.