Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

The official Enclosure thread.

Guest guest

No the sort of thing i would go for for a good price, however, with sealed units like these, you'll need air holes for the heat.

Guest guest

Good advice!

I guess with holes in the bottom for cords and vent holes in the sides, no gaskets, mount verticle should be OK?

Guest guest

I would say that just holes at the bottom for the cords (slightly too big) with no gaskets would suffice. If you have holes on the sides the risk is with windy rain that moisture will get inside.

Guest guest

Here are some pics of my enclosures. Caution! They are ugly but they will never get stolen, and they will never heat up, and they will never sweat. lol B)

Bill

Attached files 20134=1112-Ugly boxes on front deck.JPG

Guest guest

See and "Ugly Box" and a "Meci box" can co-exist. lol B)

Attached files 20136=1114-Ugly box and Meci box.JPG

Guest guest

Perfect!

Now i know what you meant. Thats my project for enclosures solved.

Thanks Bill.

p.s. where can i get some of those double duplex plates? i have the recepticles already.

Guest guest

Here's some "MECI" boxes I use for Dan's 16 channel boards. They are kind of made for each other, so I don't use wood on them.

Bill

Attached files 20140=1116-Meci boxes for Mega Trees.JPG

Guest guest

Here are 2 of the "Ugly boxes" in a tree. The squirrels don't even know they are there because they blend in so well. lol B)

Bill

Attached files 20142=1117-2 Ugly boxes in tree.JPG

Guest guest

Darren,

Any supply place has them (lowes, home depot, hardware store, etc.). I will tell you a little secret, though. The outdoor plates are really expensive, and the only reason for that is because they have a little thin gasket that keep water from running between the plate and mounting surface. Well, just buy the cheap indoor plastic plates. All you have to do, since we are not concerned about looks but about performance, is use some good silicone. Before you screw the plate down, go around the edges, then go around the top edge of the receptacles. This will create a waterproof enclosure. After I do all of that and screw the plate down, I also run another bead of silicone around the outside edge of the plate, and take my finger to smooth it out all the way around. This creates a completely waterproof box, and it's a lot nicer plugging into the receptacles, than plugging into pigtails hanging down. Trust me. lol B)

Bill

Guest guest

Thanks Bill,

I'll look on ebay since i am in the UK.

Great boxes, and i am not too worried about what they look like as i could paint black and they would not be seen easily in the dark.

Darren

Guest guest

I am planning on making boxes for my new LOR controllers this year. I plan on making them out of plywood to look like Christmas packages in the yard. I will paint them red, green, etc... and maybe put a bow on them. I will set them in groups of two or three. It will go with the display and it won't look funny having boxes sitting around the yard. Mount the controllers inside the box/package to the top or side and run your cords out the back. I used to put Christmas packages in the yard, so why not make them useful. Just an idea I had.

Guest guest

cuonebay wrote:

I am planning on making boxes for my new LOR controllers this year. I plan on making them out of plywood to look like Christmas packages in the yard. I will paint them red, green, etc... and maybe put a bow on them. I will set them in groups of two or three. It will go with the display and it won't look funny having boxes sitting around the yard. Mount the controllers inside the box/package to the top or side and run your cords out the back. I used to put Christmas packages in the yard, so why not make them useful. Just an idea I had.

That is an excellent idea for controller boxes. Very creative, thanks for sharing.

Bill

Guest guest

cuonebay wrote:

I like that idea. But I think I would still like to put my controllers in a weatherproof RiteTime or Orbit enclosure. But maybe I will make a 4 sides box (no bottom or back) that looks like a present and just slide it over the LOR enclosure. Would be a great way to hide the controller. Plus you could probably hide alot of the extension cord connections this way. I have some hollographic presents I bought at the end of the season so it would look right in place. Thanks for the idea cuonebay

Guest guest

Thanks Guys, If I can help out in any way, I am glad to. I have learned so much from you guys on the forum. I have been apart of a dozen or more forums and this one is probably the best. Everyone just enjoys helping others and sharing there ideas!! Great Atmosphere!!! Thanks

Guest guest

I saw it too but thought since it was close to $20 bucks it was not worth it. He has had them up a couple of times with no bids.

Chris

Guest guest

I've got a not out to him about the shipping. I want to know how many I can get before the shipping goes up. In volume, it might be worth it.

Guest guest

MichaelC wrote:

I found this on an e-bay search

[link removed]

The box is cheap, but the shipping is pretty expensive.

If you asked my opinion, it's going to be a tight fit with a CTB16D.

The CTB16D is 6-5/8" wide x 8-5/8" long x 2-1/8".
The enclosure is 9"x9"x3".

You also need to consider how you are going to route the cables into/outof the box.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea ... I'm just throwing things out for people to think about.

Guest guest

Don wrote:

MichaelC wrote:
I found this on an e-bay search

[link removed]

The box is cheap, but the shipping is pretty expensive.

If you asked my opinion, it's going to be a tight fit with a CTB16D.

The CTB16D is 6-5/8" wide x 8-5/8" long x 2-1/8".
The enclosure is 9"x9"x3".

You also need to consider how you are going to route the cables into/outof the box.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea ... I'm just throwing things out for people to think about.
I think that a CTB16DWHS is just a tiny bit more than 9" wide. It is 8-5/8" from heatsink edge to heatsink edge but if you count the mounting screws/nuts it is 9" + a speck.

Guest guest

This is my first year trying an animated display using a 16 channel LOR controller. I ordered the CTB16D in kit form. I found a NEMA-3R 10"x10"x4" steel enclosure for $20.75 plus shipping. I purchased the enclosure from enclosures4less.com
The box I ordered is HERE

Since this is a "pretty" box, I guess I better lock it to my house so it doesn't walk away. :?
Anyhow... that's the first part of my adventure into LOR animated lights.
Now for the sequenced music. I'm sure I'll be up late at night trying to pull together some songs before Christmas. (btw - I have a few already ;) )

If you want the box specifications from the Weigmann Company, they are HERE. {Adobe PDF File}
The part number is RSC101004.

Guest guest
Since this is a "pretty" box, I guess I better lock it to my house so it doesn't walk away.
My squirrels would loveeeee these boxes. lol ;)

Guest guest

I found that a great enclosure is a battery box made for a boat. u know the black plastic ones they sell at walmart or any store of the similar. there only downside is they have two small vents in the lid, but a little bit of silicone and your good. you could easily fit two 16's inside. and another advantage is they have spots in the lid that is made to let the cable out and keep water from coming in. Another thing i did that works good is i mounted a half inch steel pipe flange on the bottom so i could drive a pipe in the ground and it would elevate my box to keep it out of the snow(minot north dakota) . hope this helps someone i will post pics sometime this week

Thanks, Brad