Light-O-Rama Forums

The official Enclosure thread.

Guest guest

Thanks Guys, If I can help out in any way, I am glad to. I have learned so much from you guys on the forum. I have been apart of a dozen or more forums and this one is probably the best. Everyone just enjoys helping others and sharing there ideas!! Great Atmosphere!!! Thanks

MichaelC wrote:

I found this on an e-bay search

[link removed]

The box is cheap, but the shipping is pretty expensive.

If you asked my opinion, it's going to be a tight fit with a CTB16D.

The CTB16D is 6-5/8" wide x 8-5/8" long x 2-1/8".
The enclosure is 9"x9"x3".

You also need to consider how you are going to route the cables into/outof the box.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea ... I'm just throwing things out for people to think about.

Don wrote:

MichaelC wrote:
I found this on an e-bay search

[link removed]

The box is cheap, but the shipping is pretty expensive.

If you asked my opinion, it's going to be a tight fit with a CTB16D.

The CTB16D is 6-5/8" wide x 8-5/8" long x 2-1/8".
The enclosure is 9"x9"x3".

You also need to consider how you are going to route the cables into/outof the box.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea ... I'm just throwing things out for people to think about.
I think that a CTB16DWHS is just a tiny bit more than 9" wide. It is 8-5/8" from heatsink edge to heatsink edge but if you count the mounting screws/nuts it is 9" + a speck.

• 9 months later...

This is my first year trying an animated display using a 16 channel LOR controller. I ordered the CTB16D in kit form. I found a NEMA-3R 10"x10"x4" steel enclosure for $20.75 plus shipping. I purchased the enclosure from enclosures4less.com
The box I ordered is HERE

Since this is a "pretty" box, I guess I better lock it to my house so it doesn't walk away. :?
Anyhow... that's the first part of my adventure into LOR animated lights.
Now for the sequenced music. I'm sure I'll be up late at night trying to pull together some songs before Christmas. (btw - I have a few already ;) )

If you want the box specifications from the Weigmann Company, they are HERE. {Adobe PDF File}
The part number is RSC101004.

I found that a great enclosure is a battery box made for a boat. u know the black plastic ones they sell at walmart or any store of the similar. there only downside is they have two small vents in the lid, but a little bit of silicone and your good. you could easily fit two 16's inside. and another advantage is they have spots in the lid that is made to let the cable out and keep water from coming in. Another thing i did that works good is i mounted a half inch steel pipe flange on the bottom so i could drive a pipe in the ground and it would elevate my box to keep it out of the snow(minot north dakota) . hope this helps someone i will post pics sometime this week

Thanks, Brad

dgiordano wrote:

Has anyone dealt with this company: chaselights.com they have this enclosure: Inside: 13.0"L x 9.4"W x 4.1"H
http://www.chaselights.com/cordsets.htm
Looks to be the Primex P140 bigger than the P136 from allelectronics.

I've bought one of the cool high voltage mini light testers a few years ago (he doesn't carry them anymore, I think). He used to be a member here long, long ago.

dgiordano wrote:

Has anyone dealt with this company: chaselights.com they have this enclosure: Inside: 13.0"L x 9.4"W x 4.1"H
http://www.chaselights.com/cordsets.htm
Looks to be the Primex P140 bigger than the P136 from allelectronics.

Dave (chaselights.com) told me previously that he buys his enclosures from All Electronics. They are Primex boxes.

This is my first year trying an animated display.
I just finished building the LOR CTB-16D (16-channel kit form) and mounted it in a NEMA 3R 10x10x4 enclosure. I'm pretty happy with this project so far. I still need to run the LAN cable through a hole to finish the job. I have tested the controller and all channels are working properly. I also flashed the latest firmware to the controller.
The enclosure came from HERE for $20.75.
So far... so good :D

Attached files 87676=5311-LOR Controller-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
This is my first year trying an animated display.
I just finished building the LOR CTB-16D (16-channel kit form) and mounted it in a NEMA 3R 10x10x4 enclosure. I'm pretty happy with this project so far. I still need to run the LAN cable through a hole to finish the job. I have tested the controller and all channels are working properly. I also flashed the latest firmware to the controller.
The enclosure came from HERE for $20.75.
So far... so good :)

Nice wireing job, nice and neat, I have a wire orginization issue, you dont want to see the wires inside of my computer I built...

I dont want to have to order a box online so any boxes at home depot or lowes what works well? and do you need to provide your own hardware for mounting the card or does it come with some studs? (the 16 channle kit)

Ok, you guys might think I'm nuts but here's what I use after lots of searching and thinking. (Actually, I think it was my wife's idea, but I'm taking the credit)

I went to Home Depot and bought 3 plastic mailboxes. They are made to be pretty weather resistant, right? They ran about $5 or $6 each. They are big enough to hold the 16 channel boards, and I even got 2 boards inside one box. I mounted them onto 2 foot threaded bars and pounded them into the ground (not in that order) so that they could rest about 4 to 5 inches above the ground. I drilled holes in the bottom just big enough for all the wires to fit through. Funny enough, those round drill bits for cutting a doorknob hole are exactly the right size for 8 of the light-o-rama cords to go through with some room to spare for venting.

We've had LOTS of rain in the last few days, and I just came in from checking them and they are bone dry.

My wife even wrapped them with colored plastic and put a bow on them to make them look like presents under the tree.