Light-O-Rama Forums

The official Enclosure thread.

Guest guest

I used a GE Sub panel, mounted the sub panel on 1/2" Stand-offs, Drilled 18 holes on bottom of can with rubber gromets to protect wires. Can cost was $11.00 at HD.

This enclosure in for indoor use only.

I have several picture on my web site under "PAST"

I would say that just holes at the bottom for the cords (slightly too big) with no gaskets would suffice. If you have holes on the sides the risk is with windy rain that moisture will get inside.

Perfect!

Now i know what you meant. Thats my project for enclosures solved.

Thanks Bill.

p.s. where can i get some of those double duplex plates? i have the recepticles already.

Darren,

Any supply place has them (lowes, home depot, hardware store, etc.). I will tell you a little secret, though. The outdoor plates are really expensive, and the only reason for that is because they have a little thin gasket that keep water from running between the plate and mounting surface. Well, just buy the cheap indoor plastic plates. All you have to do, since we are not concerned about looks but about performance, is use some good silicone. Before you screw the plate down, go around the edges, then go around the top edge of the receptacles. This will create a waterproof enclosure. After I do all of that and screw the plate down, I also run another bead of silicone around the outside edge of the plate, and take my finger to smooth it out all the way around. This creates a completely waterproof box, and it's a lot nicer plugging into the receptacles, than plugging into pigtails hanging down. Trust me. lol B)

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I'll look on ebay since i am in the UK.

Great boxes, and i am not too worried about what they look like as i could paint black and they would not be seen easily in the dark.

Darren

I came across this on ebay and if you were mounting the boards inside and wanted to protect at least 6 boards this may work. Don't think I would buy them since the shipping is more than the box, but maybe something to keep a lookout for.

Chris

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANGING-STEEL-LOCKING-TOOL-STORAGE-CABINET-TOOLBOX_W0QQitemZ4431984489QQcategoryZ42363QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am planning on making boxes for my new LOR controllers this year. I plan on making them out of plywood to look like Christmas packages in the yard. I will paint them red, green, etc... and maybe put a bow on them. I will set them in groups of two or three. It will go with the display and it won't look funny having boxes sitting around the yard. Mount the controllers inside the box/package to the top or side and run your cords out the back. I used to put Christmas packages in the yard, so why not make them useful. Just an idea I had.

cuonebay wrote:

I am planning on making boxes for my new LOR controllers this year. I plan on making them out of plywood to look like Christmas packages in the yard. I will paint them red, green, etc... and maybe put a bow on them. I will set them in groups of two or three. It will go with the display and it won't look funny having boxes sitting around the yard. Mount the controllers inside the box/package to the top or side and run your cords out the back. I used to put Christmas packages in the yard, so why not make them useful. Just an idea I had.

That is an excellent idea for controller boxes. Very creative, thanks for sharing.

Bill

cuonebay wrote:

I like that idea. But I think I would still like to put my controllers in a weatherproof RiteTime or Orbit enclosure. But maybe I will make a 4 sides box (no bottom or back) that looks like a present and just slide it over the LOR enclosure. Would be a great way to hide the controller. Plus you could probably hide alot of the extension cord connections this way. I have some hollographic presents I bought at the end of the season so it would look right in place. Thanks for the idea cuonebay