Light-O-Rama Forums

Remedy for squirrels chewing extensions cords.

stonecutter2

Easy remedy...it's my magical potion I've worked on for a while to get it right. I got tired of paying $$$ for critter ridder and commercial stuff like that...Here's what I use: 1 gallon spray bottle filled with {ready ready, here it comes}....1) 5 TBS of cayenne pepper... 2) 5 TBS of black pepper... 3) 6 TBS of red pepper flakes... 4) Water ... shake up really good and let stand for 30 minutes. Pump up sprayer and spray away.....works like a charm...spray it around the perimeter of what you want to protect...now, a word of caution!! BE CAREFUL WITH THIS MIXTURE. IT WILL CAUSE EYE, NOSE AND THROAT IRRITATION TO ALL SMALL ANIMALS, AND WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T INHALE THE MIXTURE OR GET IT IN YOUR EYES!!! Now the downfall, you'll have to reapply after heavy rainfalls. But it's cheap and effective...oh, and it causes boiled crawfish cravings...(hey, I live in Louisiana)...

This seems to have worked very well for me. I made a batch in a small sprayer bottle and did two applications. Haven't had any problems. You may need to run the juice through a fine strainer, I clogged my sprayer a couple times.

I was told by the guy that came to my office to remove a skunk, that squirrels can't burb. He puts Alkiseltzer tables on the fence tops (they are mostly 2x4s around here) and when they eat those.. lets just say they have terminal stomach gas.

He says there is no white food in nature so, since they are very curious, they eat them up quickly.

mix the red pepper with vaseline and apply where the critters are active. Did this on the line leading to the bird feeder and haven't had a squirrel bother it for a year.

I also had the squirrels knawing my bulbs off at the base. Only with string lights in the trees. Only rope lights in trees this year and never a problem.

Chip

• 3 months later...

This time I am going to DISAGREE with George and I hope I don't get called a "weirdo". Antifreeze is a slow agonizing death to any animal that ingests it. There are plenty of methods for critter control out there. The spray solution that was mentioned in here is very effective.

I am no tree hugger by any means and you wont see me protesting the local burger king with red paint all over me. I am a hunter myself, but I do have a strict code of conduct. I wont take a shot that may result in a painful or prolonged death. At the same time, I have 5 dogs and am an animal lover. By that I mean that I believe they have just as much right to survive as we do. Humans have always been famous for killing animals to near or total extinction simply because they are a nuisance. On the same token, I fully support managed cropping in a humane manner.

Quite frankly I credited LOR with more tact than to allow posts of torturing or cruel poisoning. You can call using alka seltzer "terminal gas" or you just say it internally explodes their stomachs, another slow and painful death. That video of the squirrel is sickening and although the people that did it have no shame, those that post it or think it is funny should be ashamed.  

My compliments to those with the humane solutions. When a genius can't best his opponent, he outsmarts them. Those without regard, respect or wisdom just kill them. I will side with genius.

I use hair. My brother in law gave me the idea. He does it around his garden. I went to the local barber and got some freshly cut hair (I an lacking myself). Worked great.