Light-O-Rama Forums

Basic info on LOR II?

Animal223

Pardon me for asking if this has been answered before, but I cannot seem to find an answer elsewhere...

What exactly is LORII? Is a tentative feature list posted somewhere? Are the enhancements only in the software, or are capabilities added to the hardware too? Is new hardware required? Is the software a free upgrade for users of LOR I or must it be purchased separately?

Thanks!

LOR II is an FREE upgrade to all LOR1 customers.

There is no feature list posted as of this time.

The upgrade will apply to hardware and software. All hardware will be upgraded via a hardware FLASH using the hardware utility.

LOR I sequences will play on upgraded hardware.

However, once you open the sequence in the new sequence editor, it will be converted to a LORII sequence. Once converted, it will NOT play on LOR1.

* Full disclosure, a small portion of hardware has to be sent in. If you bought your hardware in 2005 or later, you are not part of this group. Those who will have to send it in probably know who they are.

Don wrote:

However, once you open the sequence in the new sequence editor, it will be converted to a LORII sequence. Once converted, it will NOT play on LOR1.

WHICH MEANS

backup your LOR 1 files on CD or USB flash so you CAN revert back to LOR 1 IF needed

johnny christmas wrote:

Don wrote:

WHICH MEANS

backup your LOR 1 files on CD or USB flash so you CAN revert back to LOR 1 IF needed
Backing up should be done anyway on a regular basis. Hard disks WILL fail.

You can upload your sequences on LORSequences.com and use that for a backup. In addition to being smart, you will allow others to see your sequencing techniques.

In the event of a loss, you can pull up your sequences easily.

My brother just bought a lot of 5- 1 gig U3 flash drives off of ebay...I went to work backing up all my sequences and music files...They're so cheap...it was like 60 bucks for them including shipping...

I think it's worth it to spend $15 and possibly save yourself TONS of hours...

• 1 month later...

I would like to make a suggestion for the beta testers, or maybe someone at LOR can already answer this.

Will LOR II handle a song that is over the 10 minute limit of LOR I? I would like to edit my songs together, but it gives me a "song" that is 18 minutes long. Can this be done with LOR II?

Has this been an issue with LOR I ! I have used an opening background song in our private community show for the past 3 years which is over 14 min. and have had no issues with it playing. I just insert it into the show schedule and has always worked perfect.

Don

Thanks to all for the information. When doing my sequencing for last Christmas, I thought I had read that there was a ten minute per song limit. Since there is no limit, I will continue with my merging of songs. Thanks again.

The ten minute limit applies to the DC-MP3 & mDM-MP3 show directors. If an individual song is longer than ten minutes, the song continues to play, but the lights are not controlled. You can have many songs, so a musical show is not limited to 10 minutes, just each individual song.

Don wrote:

LOR II is an FREE upgrade to all LOR1 customers.

There is no feature list posted as of this time.

The upgrade will apply to hardware and software. All hardware will be upgraded via a hardware FLASH using the hardware utility.

* Full disclosure, a small portion of hardware has to be sent in. If you bought your hardware in 2005 or later, you are not part of this group. Those who will have to send it in probably know who they are.

FYI

According to your upgrades description, there is no "Hardware" upgrade, just a "Software" & "Firmware" upgrade. Firmware is the software code that is resident on the PCBA. It is burned (or Flashed) onto an EEPROM, EPROM or PROM which is usually plugged into a socket that is soldered to the PCBA.

There are no Hardware Upgrades or changes involved with this release.

Mark,

About 18 mos ago, Dan had said that some of the old 8 channel boards would have to be sent in for modification.

Earlier this month, Dan indicated that this version of LOR II would not require a firmware upgrade. That will come in a future upgrade.

Don,

I think you misunderstood the statement I was responding to.
I am talking about 2005 PCBAs & later only.

Pre 2005 PCBAs may require a hardware upgrade.

Caution: Highjack in progress. But this seemed like a good place to post the questions. Apologies if this isn't the place.

I'm looking for some thought/teasers on the "new" features, specifically - interactive and video.

Background: At work in 2006 we had a company haunted house. It went over well so we are doing it again. I have proposed a multi-sensory display using sound, video, and sequenced lights (smell-o-vision will have to wait). I have the .wmv near complete and have been sequencing in LOR I using the video file (cool, with a few quirks...but workable.)

I want to have this "show" set such that I have 2 parts: A and B. 'A' is the pre/post show where I have my channels on low lighting for setting the mood and lighting the path. I'll then need to trigger 'B' to kick off the main display re-using the same channels. When 'B' is over, 'A' kicks back in. I don't want video on the 'A' show, I don't want to keep running back and forth to the laptop to kick off the show.

Q: Is this possible/recommended? Will the sequencing in 'B' override/interrupt the channel settings of 'A'? Or will I need dedicated channels for 'A' and 'B'. (This would make the simple display more complicated.)

Q: Will the "trigger be a separate HW to purchase only or can a keystroke/mouse click (thinking of a wireless mouse) be possible?

Q: What type of HW requirements will I need for the video? I have a laptop with dual monitor support. Good enough? I can specify the video to go to the projector with the main desktop on the laptop?

If any BETA testers were looking for an end-user scenario...there you go! :P

Thanks in advance. Can't wait!
rns