Light-O-Rama Forums

My new power distro cart

bhays

Since we're all showing off our new power distro panels, I thought I would post some pictures of the one I finished a few weeks ago.

I wanted to be able to have the circuits available when I needed them during the lighting season and then store the panel away, so I added a 100 amp hubbel connector setup on the outside of the house.

distro1.jpg

I used an 8 position outdoor rated panel I picked up on eBay then stocked it with twin breakers to give me space for 16 circuits.

distro5.jpg

I also installed pilot lamps on the secondary terminals on all the gfci outlets so I can tell at a glance whether one has tripped or if a circuit has power.

distro3.jpg

The bottom four outlets in the center are X10 supersockets so I can use LOR w/ a CM11A x10 controller to turn the static parts of the display/dmx lights/etc. on and off. I also have an X10 to IR controller which will be used to power my video projector on and off from LOR

distro4.jpg

I scored my hubbel disconnect system for under $100 on eBay, which was a complete steal. This setup is over $1000 new, never could have afforded it but for eBay.

distro2.jpg

I really like what I see BUT not to rain on your display, fully loaded you could run 210amps total at 15 amps each outlet. I see this every winter when people call me after the fire. What burns the most often is the lugs at the main breaker or the lugs inside the meter can. Many people have had safe displays for years becase of the mistake others have made. Buy an amp meter and check each leg under the Hubble connector, try to keep it under 100amps if you can. PM me if you have any questons. Looks very good, be safe.

James Shelby wrote:

I really like what I see BUT not to rain on your display, fully loaded you could run 210amps total at 15 amps each outlet. I see this every winter when people call me after the fire. What burns the most often is the lugs at the main breaker or the lugs inside the meter can. Many people have had safe displays for years becase of the mistake others have made. Buy an amp meter and check each leg under the Hubble connector, try to keep it under 100amps if you can. PM me if you have any questons. Looks very good, be safe.

It's on a 100 amp breaker in the main panel feeding it. But, I will be aware of the load I place on each leg. I thought about feeding it straight from the meter can, but since the panel is main lug, not breaker, I decided it was best to feed it from a breaker. I know exactly what you mean.

I found a nice little way to check the amp draw on each cord and it works very well for us. We got the clamp on amp meter, male plug and female end from Lowes. Just wire the ground and white like normal, then add 6 or 8 inches to the black wire, with a loop in it. Clamp the meter around the loop and your good to go.

Attached files 138395=8232-DSC03230.JPG

LightORamaDan wrote:

Looks great... It would be cool to have a picture of that plug next to a normal one!

Dan

Your wish is my command sir. Lighting is not so great in the shed at night, but here are some plug comparison pics. Big difference between 15 amps and 100 amps.

plug_comparison1.jpg

plug_comparison2.jpg

plug_comparison3.jpg

• 3 months later...

I hope you don't , but I incorporated your sub panel design for my additional pwer needs, Man was it expensive the two plugs and 10 ft of wire for 100 amps was a killer. it it looks good and should do the job. I wanted something I could take withme if I moved and your cart was jusat the ticket.

Thanks

Larrytcupp

• The topic was locked