Light-O-Rama Forums

CCP - Interferring with Garage Door?

JeffBlan

I am effected and would love to hear from anyone who does the firmware update.  With one week to go, I don't want to mess up what's working now, but the garage door thing is going to drive the wife and I nuts.    I know calling the wife on the cell phone asking her to open the garage is going to get old quick!!! ( I am  :D because there are much worse things in life!!)   My exterior key pad is wireless, and it ain't working!!! 

Steve

FYI ... see this post from John.  The new firmware mentioned has been posted.

(And my personal opinion... if you are not affected by this, do not upgrade your firmware this close to the season.)

When I try to download the firmware, this is the error I get:

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

[#10171]

You do not have permission to view this attachment.

Need Help?

Just sharing, I was very reluctant to do a firmware update right at the start of the season, but after coming home Thanksgiving night and not being able to get in the house, I did the update. Everything is working fine this first night after the updated firmware- lights and garage door opener.

Steve

To restore domestic tranquility, I also did the update.   Works well when show is not running.   Still struggles but better when lights are on.   No problems observed.  

To restore domestic tranquility, I also did the update.   Works well when show is not running.   Still struggles but better when lights are on.   No problems observed.  

Mine is running the same way. CCPs are powered all the time and -0- problems.

I have found though, that my E1.31 to.DMX bridge is the culprit now. I had to put the bridge on a timer now. Got to get in touch with D. Lovely and ask what may be happening there.

RF stuff is Voodoo.  It can show up in one installation, and not in another.

Yeah   I only have a manual garage door and the CCB rf is interfering with it :)

• Like 1

Hi All,

I had the Garage door opener (GDO) problem when I was first testing the CCB lights in my basement.  I did 2 things and now all is well.  First I installed a garage door opener extender, basically a coax wire attached to the little antenna from the opener to a small antenna outside the garage.  And I installed the firmware upgrade on 3 of my 4 CCB controllers ( the fourth is mounted high on the roof, farthest away from the garage and if the weather would cooperate I'll upgrade that one too.)

It all seems to work so much better then before and the wife is happy she can use the GDO from her truck.  

I did the antenna the day before I got the firmware upgrade so not sure which helped more but the problem is almost none existent now.

Gary

Got the firmware updated yesterday. Trouble is gone.  Can open the door at the usual spot now.  Now with or without the lights on works.

Nice X-mas gift LOR.   Getting out of the car when it's 2 degrees out isn't fun.

• 2 months later...

We had CCF (floods) last year over the garage doors and don't remember any issues, but this year we added CCB as arches over the driveway--Cat5 cable from floods down side of driveway to bulbs. Garage door opener used to be opened from the street, but when network powered up...sometimes worked right at door other times not.   Thankfully, there was a wired keypad for the other door.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same problem this year. This is the first year I have used Cosmic Color Bulbs (CCB's) in my display even though I purchased them two years ago. I didn't have time to re-sequence all of my music, so... we didn't get them out until this year :-( . I updated the firmware on all of them at the beginning of the season, so I know I was running the latest firmware available at the time.

I have two garage doors, both of them use Chamberlan Lift Master Professional Formula I garage door openers, which are about 10 years old. I purchased new batteries for my remotes, thinking that may be the problem, it didn't help. I finally tracked the problem down to my CCB controllers. If the CCB controllers have power to them, even with no active shows running, the range of my garage door openers is reduced to the point, that I have to be right next to the garage door or in the garage for them to work. One of my CCB controllers was in the peak of the roof right above one of the two doors. As soon as I unplug my CCB controllers, my opener range goes back to a half a block down the road. This is definitely a problem with the CCB/CCP Controllers interfering with the RF transmission from the garage door opener remotes to the opener. 

Does Light-O-Rama have any recommendations for shielding these controllers to stop this interference? I have read other posts that say that it looks like the interference is radiating from the strings themselves. Could LOR change the control code, to stop transmitting data down the strings when no data is being received, and possibly even cut off power to the strings, so the nodes have no power?

Another option is to put them on a timer. Start them up about 15 minutes prior to show start and shut them down about 15 minutes after.

Although, as John said, when I updated firmware before live time last year, the distance was less than normal but way better than before.

• The topic was locked