Light-O-Rama Forums

CCP - Interferring with Garage Door?

JeffBlan

Has anyone had any issues witht the CCP's interferring with the garage door openers?

I was having trouble at halloween but didn't relate it to the use of the CCP. When I stopped the show for Halloween, I left the lights up (using them for Christmas) but didn't have them plugged in. I have everything plugged in for Christmas and now I'm having issues opening my garage door.

This happens, even though the show is not running. The CCP's are just plugged in.

I had CCR's over my garage last year and did not have this problem. I'm outlining my house with the CCP's this year and they are the only difference in my layout this year.

I'm going to try and extend the wire for the antenna on the garage door opener but thought it was strange that the CCP's would be interferring with the opener signal.

Jeff

• Like 1

Interesting! I will check your theory tonight or tomorrow when I have things rolling. My wife has been complaining for weeks that her opener lost range and only works right in front. Fresh batteries did not fix it. The CCP boxes on the matrix were hanging right inside the window facing the street where she would be when pressing the remote. Its all dissembled in transition now. Will reply again soon.

Radio frequency signals can be tricky and in this case it is not clear if it is the CCR box blocking a signal or if it is interfering with the opener hearing/receiving the signal.

You might want to try either creating a grounding plane between the CCR controller and the garage receiver, or to try to build a type of faraday cage around the CCR controller.

A grounding plane is essentially a sheet of metal ( the thicker the better ) between the CCR box and the garage door opener's antenna. Having it literally grounded to the ground in you electrical circuit can help.

A faraday cage would be completely surrounding the CCR controller in metal and also could be grounded electrically. Many electronic companies use a metal copper screen mesh instead of solid metal.

Other than the obvious to move the CCR controller away from the garage door opener, you might want to try one of these solutions.

Eager to hear about how you guys solve this amazing discovery!!

Nice to know I wasn't the only one having this issue. I almost replaced the garage door receiver until it dawned on me that this started when I had the CCB

controller powered up.

I created a case weeks ago with LOR.They suggested building a metal box around the controller. In my case I can not do that

because of the location of the controller.

Finally getting back. I see others have the same problem.

I will have to see what I can do. The controller boxes are "fairly" far away from the garage door opener. The closest one is located to the right bottom of the garage door (2 feet but near bottom). Next one is up high above the garage door near the roof line (12 feet). The last one is further to the right and in the middle of my 2-story house.

I'll see if I can shield it to see if it works.

Jeff

Well I did some additional testing and here is what I have found.

I unplugged 2 of my 3 CCP's so I could perform the test easier. It didn't matter which one I had on. All them them interferred with the garage door opener. I tested them one at a time.

So the next step, I unplugged all 3 and everything was fine. I plugged the one in closest to the garage door and I couldn't use my opener.

I started experimenting with different metals in front of the box to see if I could eliminate the interference as some here suggested enclosing the controller in a metal box. Unfortunatly, the items I tried did not work. So I decided to keep the controller plugged in but unplugged the two light strings attached. Viola! The opener was working fine.

So it appears the interference is coming from the circuits on the light string. I guess I could enclose each of those in metal:-) Of course you would be able to see the light bulbs.

I have no idea where to go from here. It is going to be a pain every year not being able to use my garage door opener during Christmas and Halloween. I used CCR's in many of the same locations last year and didn't have a problem so I know it is related to the CCPs (and I'm assuming CCBs).

Jeff

2nd year with CCR's and I've never had any issues with my garage door opener. However, Mine are probably a good 20ft from the front of the door. As I plan on adding more CCR's, I'm very curious about the interference.

Jeff,

Just out of curiosity, have you tried changing the channel on your garage door system (if its one thats changable).. ?

Does this happen when they are just plugged in .. no signals .. no blinky/flashy or color changing going on?

Try using a portable AM radio and find an open freq, then start to approach your controllers/light strings.. listen for the static to change..this will help figure out of the RFI is coming from the strings or the controllers. Crude, not accurate and may not prove anything, but if there is enough interference to disrupt the radio signal, I would imagine you could get a pretty good map of the pattern.

Since several are seeing this issue, it might be worth a ticket to Dan and Co over at LOR...

Bob

I edited out the comments about using a DVM with freq capabilities. This really only works with High Voltage like when testing the inverter in a LED display. RMM

Edited by bob_moody

My door is going funny as well. I haven't tested things but I will later today if I get a chance. I did want to mention that a shield for the box (if that is where the issue lies (if, in fact there is an issue)), can be any metal including tin foil, but it must be grounded.

I will report back my findings, but I will share a funny story: My neighbour got locked out of his house the other day because after returning home (by cab) from a friends house (and a half a bottle of single malt), he went to open his garage door with a wireless keypad on the outside of his house, and it wouldn't open. Figuring his wife would be less than impressed with being awakened that late at night, he returned to his friends where they then finished off the scotch.

I haven't had the heart to tell him that I might know what was going on, yet! I have three CCP controllers running our there.

i've experienced this with CCP's, with some regular LED light bulbs (the 110v screw in your light socket type), other name brand, and straight from China RGB products.

I just have to remember to unplug the lights before my wife gets home and can't get in the garage...

I'm not sure I can change the channel on the garage door. One person commented on CCR's. I had CCR's over my garage last year with no problem. That is why I'm suspecting the CCPs.

Yes the problem occurs even when the lights are not being used. If there is power to the controller, and the lights are plugged into the controller, then I have issues with the garage door. That is how I eliminated the controller from the equation. It must be the string of lights.

I'll send a note to LOR just to see what they have to say.

Jeff

FYI, I received a response from Light-O-Rama support. I think i will just plug them into timers or something to they are powered only when the show is running. At least I won't have to worry about my garage door when I normally need it.

Here is their response:

The controller continuously updates the strings and every bulb IC regenerates this. You could try a ferrite choke between the controller and first bulb by wrapping the wire through the choke a few times and closing it. Because each bulb string regenerates the signal, this would only fix it if the interference is coupled through the power to the bulbs.

Partial solution is to plug the controllers into a standard controller so you can turn them off most of the day.

Though I would post that here so others would know.

Jeff

Wow... Really ??

I would of thought reports of product causing EMI or RFI would have been a bell ringer...

Like Ron White said ... Guess I was wrong ..

On this topic, I noted that the range of my garage door opener seems to be more limited now. I have 4 CCPs about 30' from my garage door opener. I was actually thinking the batteries in the remotes were getting low... This makes some sense now.

I don't know if it related. BUT

I have some security cameras that run on PLC when a CCB or CCP is plugged in on the same circuit as the camera or receiver it blanks out.

I managed to get it to play nice by putting a surge suppressor power bar at the location in question and it seems to work.

(I plugged the CCP's into the power bar to isolate them)

I have a feeling (but no proof positive) the CCB/CCP generates noise on the powerline. This could interfere with the receiver door opener if plugged in close proximity.

It worth a shot to give it a try,

M.

Thanks Mikeosf, I think you just gave me the answer relate to my security camera which I have been trying to find out for the last serveral days. I will try your way to see if this is it.

Could regular led lights respond this way to a security camera. I have been having trouble with mine, I have no rgb running right now. It only happens during the show, I was just assuming that it is the night vision mode being messed up by the lights. This is most likley the case but I figured I would check with those more qualified in this area.

Depends on your problem:

I was experience a loss of connection to the camera. So the camera went offline.

If you are maintaining connection but can't see anything, you may be correct and it's messing with the camera night vision.

:)

Michael