Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM antenna range

drums114

Hi -

I have a EDM transmitter and everything is working but the range is not reaching the street. I tried taking some zip wire, stripped some EDM wire and zip wire and attached the two and then the other end of the zip wire I stripped a little and ran it to the top of my roof. The range was better but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas without buying a whole big antenna.

I also tried running a long probably 100 foot antenna (zip wire) thinking that would be better but it was worse than a shorter antenna (zip wire). Why is that?

Mark

Ouch. Don't to that. You can ruin your transmitter.

I am not an expert on Antenna's, but I do know about signal to wave ratio (SWR). I used to mess around with CB radios, and there is a device called a SWR meter which was used to set the antenna length correctly. The length of the the antenna affects the SWR, and if it too far off, it can ruin the transmitter.

Hopefully your transmitter is ok.

I wish I could help you get your transmitter working better, I do know that EDM sells an antenna that might help you.

Jerry

I have an edm transmitter as well and all I use is the small test antennathat came with it. It will transmit all the way to the loop before losing any quality which is about half a mile....I did however have some interference issues with normal house lighting that I got out of by simply relocating the transmitter to another circuit. Maybe something similar is happening with your transmitter?

I have an edm transmitter as well and all I use is the small test antennathat came with it. It will transmit all the way to the loop before losing any quality which is about half a mile....I did however have some interference issues with normal house lighting that I got out of by simply relocating the transmitter to another circuit. Maybe something similar is happening with your transmitter?

I also use the test antenna that came with the unit. I fastened it to the wall near the ceiling with a thumb tack.

It doesn't get too far, but, it is far enough so that anyone watching my display can hear the music clearly with their FM radio. IMHO that is as far as it needs to go. Don't want any trouble with the FCC.

Jerry

I am using it on the low power setting.

Jerry

Also, don't tie or attach your antenna to anything metal that's grounded or basically, don't attach it to anything metal at all. Have it out in the air if possible. Make sure the attenna is plugged in BEFORE you turn on the transmitter.

Edited by dgrant

I don't have any experience with EDM but from what I've seen it should be doing better than that. One of the people that have assembled those may chime in and give you a few places to check inside of the unit. I would think you have some sort of output power loss.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have the EDM and computer in my garage running the show. The transmitter is about 100 feet to the street - I have a long drive way. I was playing around with it in the summer time and took a channel someone was not supposed to be broad casting on but it appears someone is now so I am batteling that. With my tune to sign created and up - turning to a different radio station is not really an option :( :(

For tests I took the test attenna and it reached the street with some static but then I attached a shorter zip wire, attached it to the test attenna and then attached that to my garage door metal frame (thinking I could use that to boost the signal like a attenna). Why is that a bad idea? Will it fry something in the EDM transmitter?

I had problems getting mine to transmit very far last year in the garage but moved the transmitter to the attic and then it worked awesome.

I would try a different location. mine transmitts atleast 300' clear signal.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have the EDM and computer in my garage running the show. The transmitter is about 100 feet to the street - I have a long drive way. I was playing around with it in the summer time and took a channel someone was not supposed to be broad casting on but it appears someone is now so I am batteling that. With my tune to sign created and up - turning to a different radio station is not really an option :( :(

For tests I took the test attenna and it reached the street with some static but then I attached a shorter zip wire, attached it to the test attenna and then attached that to my garage door metal frame (thinking I could use that to boost the signal like a attenna). Why is that a bad idea? Will it fry something in the EDM transmitter?

It can. If the antenna is not properly "matched" to he transmitter, it can cause some of the signal to be reflected back down the line into the transmitter.

I know you say that changing your frequency isn't really an option, but depending on the strength of the other station that's there, it maybe the largest cause of your problem, and might not be something you can fix without finding a new frequency. Also, I'd be a little worried that the station that's broadcasting there (and paying to use that frequency) might discover your existence and send the guys in the black van to pay you a visit.

If you decide to stick it out on your current frequency, one thing to consider might be to raise the antenna up higher in your garage. And make sure the antenna is vertical.

Edit: the attic suggestion above would serve to "...raise the antenna up higher..." very we'll.

Edited by Aaron Maue

Do a google search for ground plane antenna. I made one of these myself this year from a few simple parts purchased from Radio Shack and it substantially improved not only the quality of my transmission, but the distance as well. I had to cut the transmit power to keep it legal. You 'tune' the antenna with the lentgth of the 5 planes of the antenna. I was really simple and I'm certain you will see similar results (unless there's a problem with your EDM).

I don't have any experience with EDM but from what I've seen it should be doing better than that. One of the people that have assembled those may chime in and give you a few places to check inside of the unit. I would think you have some sort of output power loss.

Not sure if you are adressing me or the OP. My feeling is that you don't want to trasmit very far. I'm sure I could get more range if I switched to the high power setting, but, I don't see a need to do that. As long as people in cars in front of my display can hear it I'm happy.

If you transmit too far you could have a visit from the FCC. I see posts from people claiming 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile range. I think they are asking for trouble. My question is why would anyone need or want to transmit that far?

Just my .02

Jerry

Edited by LORisAwesome

MIne is on low power setting and it still transmits almost a 1/2 mile before losing signal. There are no other stations near what I transmit on and I'm hoping the FCC has better things to do than to hassle me over 30 days of transmitting 500 feet too far. Other than that, i guess I should have bought a "cheaper" transmitter because I don't really know what to do to get it down to just my immediate area....lol seems I'm having the opposite problem of what other people seem to be having...lol

I wasn't happy with the range of the EDM's test antenna either. I then made a small quarter wave antenna. It wasn't any differant. So I then bought a Ramsey TM100. It was slightly better, but still not the greatest. I wasn't so concerned with the distance, I just wanted clear sound a few houses out. Then a few weeks ago I actually mounted the TM100 on the garage roof line, and what a differance. It sounds great and I had to turn the power down on the EDM. I'm thinking I would have been fine if I had just raised the test antenna up in the air a bit highter maybe using a RG6 cable to extend it into the attic.

Mine goes about 2-3 blocks on the lowest power setting on it. As long as the input signal level to it is high enough without being too high, it works very nice.