Light-O-Rama Forums

DC-MP3 Enclosure

grandad

Hi,

2006 was my first season with L-O-R and my control setup was, shall we say a little messy indoors, consequently I had many complaints from "she who must be obeyed" So I have just consolidated my DC-MP3, FM Transmitter and one controller all into one enclosure making it effectively a Show Director I suppose. I just thought I would share a couple of pics of the setup with you guys and gals. The rest of the controllers are controlled from this one via an ELL (Easy Light Linker) which also plugs into this controller.

Attached files 138153=8200-DC-MP3_Controller01.jpg

Very nice...

Looks like you are pulling power from the DC-MP3 for your fm transmitter. Do you know what the power requirements of your transmitter are... (how many milliamperes it draws?)....

Makes for a clean setup when you are powering the DC-MP3 and an ELL and a FM transmitter from Accessory power of the controller....

LightORamaDan wrote:

Looks like you are pulling power from the DC-MP3 for your fm transmitter. Do you know what the power requirements of your transmitter are... (how many milliamperes it draws?)....

Makes for a clean setup when you are powering the DC-MP3 and an ELL and a FM transmitter from Accessory power of the controller....

Thanks for the comment Dan. The transmitter pulls 25mA at max. I believe you once told me that the ELL pulls around 150mA as a transmitter, so I bolted an additional heatsink on the 9volt regulator just to be safe. You can see it in the first pic if you look close. It runs pretty warm, but I believe it's OK. :? Well I've had it running, non-stop for several days now with no problems, so in the winter season it should run cooler.

grandad wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:

Thanks for the comment Dan. The transmitter pulls 25mA at max. I believe you once told me that the ELL pulls around 150mA as a transmitter, so I bolted an additional heatsink on the 9volt regulator just to be safe. You can see it in the first pic if you look close. It runs pretty warm, but I believe it's OK. :? Well I've had it running, non-stop for several days now with no problems, so in the winter season it should run cooler.

You should be fine with a 25mA load. The accessory voltage regulator will get warm with the load you have on it but it is okay for it to get warm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mountainwxman wrote:

Here's a look at my DC-MP3 enclosure with Transmitter. I still have to route cables and power then mount it on a rack.

William, Looks nice. I guess you will be powering the DC-MP3 from a power-brick? If your FM transmitter is also powered from the electrical supply, do you suffer any "hum" problems on your transmissions?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wbottomley

grandad wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
Here's a look at my DC-MP3 enclosure with Transmitter. I still have to route cables and power then mount it on a rack.

William, Looks nice. I guess you will be powering the DC-MP3 from a power-brick? If your FM transmitter is also powered from the electrical supply, do you suffer any "hum" problems on your transmissions?

The DC-MP3 is powered by the controllers. The wall-wart powers the fm x-mitter. To stop the hum, I placed almunum foil around the cord where I have it tied up.

I'm adding more pics...

DSC00224_edit.jpg

DSC00222_edit.jpg

DSC00221_edit.jpg

DSC00215_edit.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Absolutely brilliant enclosure. I might try the same with my Ramsey. BTW, did you know that ramsey has a new antenna now so you can eliminate the metal antenna that came with it, and run an RF antenna up to your roof for a much better transmitter.

It's called the TM100:

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=TM100