Light-O-Rama Forums

my 2006

johnny christmas

Nice Martin! I like the way you can really make Rudolph's nose GLOW!!! Looks good! Last year was my first year also. I have some foggy night videos too. Unfortunately, none of the bubbles I put up in the air show up in the videos but you can see them in the pictures on my homepage. The kids AND adults love the bubbles!!! You can have 100,000 lights but the kids won't even notice when the bubble machines come on!!!! I put some rotating beacons on the bubble machines for this year so the kids will know when to expect "the bubbles"!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!

Clyde Dearing

http://www.dearingdazzle.com

Hi Clyde,

Thanks for the comments. I feel my setup needs much more colour in it.

I have seen your website / display before, and WoW! spectacular...... you guys in the US have soooo much room to play with around your homes. I am always jealous of that :D

Hi Tim!

That's a quaint little cottage you have there!!! I like the Queen song the best. You did some really nice programming in there. I really need to do some wash lights. Your blues on the house with the pillars a different color was really striking. And I saw those two color mini trees. I wanted to do that also but ran into a money thing. Dang, I just need a few more channels!!!! You know, about 200 more!!!!! Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

Nice job!

Clyde Dearing

Hey Grandad!

I feel your pain! I occasionally go to school in Eindhoven, Netherlands (I work on Philips Medical X-Ray Equipment) and the homes I visit over there are VERY small compared to the wide open spaces of Texas. Of course, I had to move about an hour away from Houston to get away from city dwellings. Anyhoo, the big yards do have their pitfalls. It costs a lot more to light everything up (in equipment and lights). I'm going to have 400 channels this year (I'm also taking over parts of my neighbors yards on either side of me) and I'm going to use about 280 amps with "all on". This is going to max out my wallet and electrical system!!!

But yes, it is for the children................... yeah, right!!!!! Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Clyde Dearing

• 2 weeks later...

Love the coke song. We are a hudge Coke collector, and now the wife is asking me to do a sequence to that. Looks great, I am rate there with you being only my second year of LOR.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No secrets guys...

I used some electrical conduit (the metal type) to build a frame that ran through the bottom of each tree. I tie-wrapped all of the intersections together. The combined weight of the frame and trees, along with the extension cord feeds were enough to hold it on the roof for the entire lighting season. I could also have used some heavy line to secure to the eves if I thought necessary. I spray painted the conduit the color (roughly) of my roof, so it disappeared for the most part during the day, and was invisible at night. I might have some pics of it somewhere... I'll have to look tomorrow.

D.T.

OK guys... I found the pics I took of my Minis on the roof (they were hiding on my desktop :cool: ). This first one shows rows 2, 3 and 4 of the mini trees. Just in front of row 3, you'll see a bundle of four 12-3 extension cords heading for the controllers on the other side of the house. You can see the conduit (painted to hide it on the roof) running through the bases of the minis.

Attached files 139457=8329-IMG_1828s.jpg

At the intersections of the conduit sections, I used a tie-wrap to secure them to each other. This was heavy enough to keep all of the trees securly in place throughout the lighting season last year. I thought about using heavy dacron or nylon to tie the frame to the eve and/or chimney of the house, but decided that the trees weren't going anywhere as they were. Hope this helps you out.

D.T.

Attached files 139460=8330-IMG_1831s.jpg

• The topic was locked