Light-O-Rama Forums

Weather enclosure question

Al Saunders

Hey Everyone,

I'm going to use the food storage container idea I saw in another forum for my CCR controllers and ground level extension cord connections. My question is has anyone else housed their pro controllers in one of those storage bins like from Rubbermaid? I am planning on cutting notches in the top of the main bin so the lid will cover them. I am a little worried about the possibility of water/rain getting to the controller if it is laying down on its back. I plan to raise the unit up on some 2X4's and secure the wires below and also secure the wires down outside to prevent water from getting as much as possible. The wires will run up to the top, through the notch then down to the ground so I think I'll be ok but just wanted to get some feedback on my ideas.

Thanks,

Al

I use this http://www.lowes.com/pd_339954-742-193589_4294857685__?productId=3295494&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C1&facetInfo=

removed the shelves and mounted two controllers on 3/4" plywood (2 ft x 2 ft), and fastened to the back of the cabinet....plenty of room for two controllers, FM transmitter and accessories....lockable too.

I use this http://www.lowes.com...ng|1&facetInfo=

removed the shelves and mounted two controllers on 3/4" plywood (2 ft x 2 ft), and fastened to the back of the cabinet....plenty of room for two controllers, FM transmitter and accessories....lockable too.

Wouldnt mind seeing a pix of that.

I used the same setup as WBottomleys idea last year and this year. The 2x4 setup takes all of 5 minutes to build, sturdy and works anywhere. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then his website is priceless. Give it a go.

• Like 1

The timers are for power to the controllers. The precanned show I got from LOR is set to run on power-up. I created a few shows and used the scheduler, but I threw the timers in there to power down the controllers after the show is over.

I also have two SmartUPS battery backup devices for surge protection. One per controller. They stay powered on 24/7, and the timers kick power on and off to the controllers. Might be overkill, I know, but I'm all about redundancy and device protection.

Guest wbottomley

I have 55 controllers connected and never have had any problems in device protection. The timers on the controllers is not needed. The show director takes care of scheduling. Mine stay connected from October to February.

Edited by wbottomley

• 7 months later...

I used the same setup as WBottomleys idea last year and this year. The 2x4 setup takes all of 5 minutes to build, sturdy and works anywhere. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then his website is priceless. Give it a go.

Can you post a link for the website. I am a newbie and trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks

I am military and have a couple of weatherproof footlockers that I've bought over the years and seem to just store them lately.   I am planning on mounting my LOR and E1.31 controllers, which are already mounted in CG-1500 weather-proof enclosures, into at least one footlocker.  The footlocker will add as second layer of snow/rain and will provide solid theft protection as I can padlock them in and still have full easy installation and maintenance access.  The boxes will also provide excellent weather protection for the plug ends as well.  I'm pouring a small concrete pad of the same size as the footlocker in my shrubbery bed right in front of my exterior outlets this weekend and plan to bolt the footlocker onto that concrete using anchors for superior strength. The pad is only about 3'x6' so It's hidden behind the bushes year round and allow me to quickly bolt the footlocker right in when I need to.  This solution will allow me only provide theft protection, but extreme strain relief as well.  Over the years, I've seen a lot of spectacular static displays damaged by kill-joy vandals, and I cant afford to lose the investment we're making in this hobby.   

The gorilla box is a similar commercial equivalent. 

The boxes I'm using are toughboxes.  Another commercial like item is the gorilla box which sells for about $20 in the PX, but available online.   http://www.amazon.com/JTT-Storage-Trunk-Model-2820-20P/dp/B000QTBR98/ref=sr_1_5/181-4048944-5454941?ie=UTF8&qid=1373922950&sr=8-5&keywords=gorilla+box

I'll provide pictures when I get it done.

• 1 month later...

I just came across this post from last year I started. I actually ended up mounting my pro controllers to my privacy fence just under the top cross piece. Since I only had two controllers I had them next to each other then draped a contractor bag over them both and stapled the bag to the fence. Having the controllers under the top bar and the bag stapled to the top of the bar gave them weather protection. Didn't notice any evidence of rain on them even though they are rated for outside conditions. I had them mounted in the backyard side of the fence and had the wires going to the front of my house. I then took a bungee cord and secured the bottom of the bag against the wires. It worked pretty well and I only had a few really windy days that I had to reset the bungee cord.