Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR box

Guest guest

hello all just wondering if the LOR pre built gray boxes are water proof and can i put it in the garage? i just dont trust it out there yet because of the car smoke and bugs and dirt.

The boxes are waterproof, however I am not really sure what you are asking about the boxes in the garage? I think that if the boxes can go outside, then by all means they can go in your garage. I honestly don't see why the exhaust would effect the boards at all.

Greg

The boxes aren't water-PROOF but they are weather-RESISTANT. That means that they can go outside and not get damaged by normal weather conditions.

They WILL NOT tolerate being submerged in water.

I've had 3 permamently mounted to the sides of my house for almost a year now with no problem. They are ~4' off the ground and beneath the eaves (or even more covered) so there's no chance of them getting submerged.

Just be sure to mount them so that the extensions will never sit in pooling water and you should be OK. If any rain does happen to penetrate the enclosure it will quickly drain out through the holes in the bottom.

Oh, be sure to mount them right-side-up! :(

Edit: I have both the plastic and the metal boxes. The same rules apply to both.

Edit 2: I also have one (metal) permanently mounted in the garage. Again, no problems.

Edit 3: You know the box on the side of your house where the electric service comes in? They're like that,

ChuckHutchings: funny funny chuck my lor wont do that but anywhay:] good i can put it in the garage it wont hurt but i dont think i trust it outdoors its just to darn cold and wet up here we live in North Idaho.

If you are talking about the Showtime metal boxes...their manufactured use is for mounting electrical components outside. If you are talking about the Planet Christmas plastic boxes...their manufactured use is as cable television demarcation boxes (where the coax splits to the various rooms in your house, or apartments in your building).

Both are intended to be weather-resistant when vertically mounted to the side of a building, as in their original manufactured use (NEMA-2 or 3, I forget which). When you put them somewhere else, you must use your own discretion. I don't have a spec sheet in front of me, but the metal enclosures may be spec'd for pole mounting as well.

Your winters up in the Coeur D'Alene/Spokane area are similar to ours here in Wyoming, but a bit wetter. Personally, I would regard the cold, especially in the garage, as a non-issue. If you move the enclosures outside, I would mount them vertically on the side of your house. Or at the very least, mount them to a plywood backing, and then on a post. I would hesitate to give the plastic enclosures much weather resistance in driving snow/rain, especially if the wind was directly hitting the rear of the enclosure (vertical--no plywood backing) or the cable pass-throughs (horizontal).

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

My new style boxes just survived a "Hurrican" type rain durring the 4th of july display. Not a drop of water visable inside. Had them running while the rain was coming down at 3" an hour sideways. Boxes were in the direct line of rain.

Boy the lights were steaming thoe ;)

cenote wrote:

My new style boxes just survived a "Hurrican" type rain durring the 4th of july display. Not a drop of water visable inside. Had them running while the rain was coming down at 3" an hour sideways. Boxes were in the direct line of rain.

Boy the lights were steaming thoe :)

Were those the new ShowTime boxes?

Dan

I have a showtime box mounted on the front of my house and it weathered just fine last season, this year it will have one of those Gray boxes and be absolutely fine as well. If you want to add a bit more Resistance to it, put a little foam tape under the door where it meets the enclosure. Or You could build like a little box to put the box in...
Again don't submerge it, They are not waterPROOF just Resistant.

All the enclosures from LOR are what they call waterproof (which means like others have said-water restraint) If they can withstand the outdoor weather, they will withstand your car exhaust, bugs and dust.